Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

How to get a more aggresive exhaust sound?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2009, 03:01 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to get a more aggresive exhaust sound?

dont mistake the title i by no means want a ricey loud civic with a fart can sound at all..for example i was looking through youtube and came across a lancer with it says no resonators.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOv4vLuV2g0

and i found another one from a previous gen lancer that had no muffler, which i assume just means they unbolted the exhaust

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yORqA4PB48I

i dont think either of them sound ricey i think it sounds pretty agressive. as i said before the first one says no resonators..so can you remove the stock resonators without getting a new catback exhaust? i like the way no muffler sounds but i've heard that its illegal.

just what to see everyone elses input i would like to take the resonators off..also will that void the warranty?
Old Apr 16, 2009, 05:49 PM

I was rolling without the resonator for a bit, it was loud and extremely annoying. Also, the wife hated the extreme loudness in the cabin. I recently had a resonator installed along with new muffler and the note is perfect. heh, I can even hear growl now. And yes, taking off the stock resonator will void your warranty.

I say if you love that loud *** sound go for it. It grew old on me after awhile.

Last edited by dvscore; Apr 16, 2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dvscore
I was rolling without the resonator for a bit, it was loud and extremely annoying. Also, the wife hated the extreme loudness in the cabin. I recently had a resonator installed along with new muffler and the note is perfect. heh, I can even hear growl now. And yes, taking off the stock resonator will void your warranty.

I say if you love that loud *** sound go for it. It grew old on me after awhile.
im currently running that setup except with the tsudo, it does get loud at times
Old Apr 16, 2009, 07:51 PM
Account Disabled

how do you go about removing resonators? can you do it yourself or would a muffler shop or something have to do it? and can i keep my stock exhaust and not have to get a catback and just remove resonators?
Old Apr 17, 2009, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Racecarzz08
how do you go about removing resonators? can you do it yourself or would a muffler shop or something have to do it? and can i keep my stock exhaust and not have to get a catback and just remove resonators?
A muffler shop or proformance shop with a wielder can take care of it. But make sure that the wielder knows what their doing. I've seen some pretty screwed up exhaust setups.

im currently running that setup except with the tsudo, it does get loud at times
Yeah it does. I was running without one for a whole year and went through 2 mufflers trying to get the best sound. I finally had one installed and man I don't regret it one bit. Waking up in the morning at 5:30AM and having a loud *** car waking up the neighbors really weighed on my conscious.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just get a greddy ti-c or the se .

Some will say the greddy exhausts sounds "ricey" on the lancer some will say its a deep loud tone (as opposed to a civic fart can).

For those who have experience with exhausts on other cars and how they SHOULD sound they know that for the most part the lancer + greddy tic or se is probably the best sound your going to get out of a 4 cyl engine. Yes it may be loud but its DEEP and thats what you want, if its not DEEP its high pitched like a fart can.

I recently had a guy with a sick 350z whos on the local 210Z team flag me down at my apartment to try to find out what exhaust i had because he had heard it around the apartment complex and said it sounded real good. My coworker who was on the same 350z team but no longer is because of work was the one who recommended the ti-c, i took his recommendation because he has 4 individual trophies and who knows how many team, from competitions and im sure glad i did.

Also resonators are what help the greddy ti-c produce such a deep tone.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 08:47 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by lancer0220
just get a greddy ti-c or the se .

Some will say the greddy exhausts sounds "ricey" on the lancer some will say its a deep loud tone (as opposed to a civic fart can).

For those who have experience with exhausts on other cars and how they SHOULD sound they know that for the most part the lancer + greddy tic or se is probably the best sound your going to get out of a 4 cyl engine. Yes it may be loud but its DEEP and thats what you want, if its not DEEP its high pitched like a fart can.

I recently had a guy with a sick 350z whos on the local 210Z team flag me down at my apartment to try to find out what exhaust i had because he had heard it around the apartment complex and said it sounded real good. My coworker who was on the same 350z team but no longer is because of work was the one who recommended the ti-c, i took his recommendation because he has 4 individual trophies and who knows how many team, from competitions and im sure glad i did.

Also resonators are what help the greddy ti-c produce such a deep tone.
greddy is nice..but i have the HKS and i think its by far the best you can get...has an amazing tone. thats why since i had my first car i always get HKS products if available
Old Apr 17, 2009, 08:51 AM
Account Disabled

so removing resonators shouldnt affect performance correct? when i got my first exhaust installed the guy at the muffler shop said that the car had multiple resonators so is it safe to remove them all?
Old Apr 17, 2009, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

you need a flux capacitor
Old Apr 17, 2009, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

How does removing the resonator void your warranty? I just had the biggest one cut off, which is the one closest to the back of the car, and all it is is a "flow through" pipe with small holes in it that allow air to get trapped in them momentarily and silence the exhaust sound. Has nothing to do with emission!
Old Apr 17, 2009, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Racecarzz08
As far as the resonators, you have two of them that are after your catalytic converter. There sole purpose is to silence the exhaust system. If you take it to a place that does anytype of exhaust work, all they do is cut the resonators off the main exhaust tubing, and replace them with 2.25 inch pipe. You can still leave the stock muffler on if you like. Just try it out step by step. Each item you have removed or upgraded, such as the muffler to a RRM axel back, you are going to get more noise, but some people are looking for that to make up for the lack of power!
Old Apr 17, 2009, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

The bottom video was almost a full straight pipe setup but he still had the cat intact. If you want a loud sound that isn't the equivalent of farting into a can of bush's baked beans you will want to go with a custom straight pipe exhaust... which is exactly what it sounds like, a 2-3 inch piping going from the headers all the way to the back of the car... no muffler, cat, or resonator... Sounds beautiful but is extremely loud around the 4k rpm range. This will also void your warranty big time. If you want a good sound with no voiding of the warranty, I would recommend the Injen full catback w/ high flow cat. Pricey but good stuff.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by BABYGOTBACK
How does removing the resonator void your warranty? I just had the biggest one cut off, which is the one closest to the back of the car, and all it is is a "flow through" pipe with small holes in it that allow air to get trapped in them momentarily and silence the exhaust sound. Has nothing to do with emission!

It may have to do with certain dealerships. I know for sure my dealership will void the exhaust warranty if you remove or replace the resonator, cat or exhaust with aftermarket parts. Before I had any custom work done I called them and asked them about certain parts, the resonator was one of them. Hell, I bit the bullet and took it off.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 05:12 AM
Evolving Member

It may have to do with certain dealerships. I know for sure my dealership will void the exhaust warranty if you remove or replace the resonator, cat or exhaust with aftermarket parts. Before I had any custom work done I called them and asked them about certain parts, the resonator was one of them. Hell, I bit the bullet and took it off.
Just taking the 1 resonator off, I have noticed a huge difference in sound. People ask me what new part I have added to my car; and I tell them I actually took a part off! It sounds really good when you first start the car on a cool morning or in a closed in area like a parking deck! The axleback is a must though. You will not get that deep tone without one!
Old Feb 12, 2012, 04:43 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKpQbjXUhMQ

Quick Reply: How to get a more aggresive exhaust sound?