Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

RRM SRI Filter fell apart...auto zone solution

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2009, 10:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RRM SRI Filter fell apart...auto zone solution

So ill try to make a long story short:
my SES light has been coming on and going off for the past few months at random times (most recently on my trip down to Atlantic City) i got so tired of this i disconnected the battery and it went away but it still bothered me. so i check out my engine bay and notice the filter that came with my RRM SRI was a bit dirty so i took it off to clean and noticed the metal cap just fell off in my hands and i saw it was rusty and filthy as hell. so i went to autozone for a quick fix and because i had seen Spectre filters there. so sum girl who knows nothing gives me the closest one to the RRM filter but i notice its a 3" opening and it was the smallest they had. i tried it out in the parking lot and saw it wasnt going to so i bout a coupler i know is meant for metal tubing, but it worked just fine with the filter and RRM intake. check it out and let me know what you think. this is meant to be a temp fix until i get a better filter but from reviews and using it all day today i can tell u it might stay on a little longer than i planned.

link to product Spectre Filter

p.s. sorry for the bad quality pics, taken with my blackberry
Attached Thumbnails RRM SRI Filter fell apart...auto zone solution-img00216.jpg   RRM SRI Filter fell apart...auto zone solution-img00217.jpg   RRM SRI Filter fell apart...auto zone solution-img00215.jpg   RRM SRI Filter fell apart...auto zone solution-img00214.jpg  
Old May 12, 2009, 11:00 PM
Account Disabled

im sure most everyone that has the SRI has had the same problem..including me..the filter is garbage..im selling the whole pos this month and getting the injen cai
Old May 12, 2009, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

lolz my metal cap fell off a while back too..i have the v2, i havent had ne problems with it tho...i herd some dude switched his filter to a K&N and had the sam prob about the 3" opening..what he did was cut off the section from the rrm filter that goes around tubing and used that with the K&N filter..what i mean is he put that section inside the 3" opening then clamped it down..kind of like an adapter
Old May 13, 2009, 05:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by I Am God
lolz my metal cap fell off a while back too..i have the v2, i havent had ne problems with it tho...i herd some dude switched his filter to a K&N and had the sam prob about the 3" opening..what he did was cut off the section from the rrm filter that goes around tubing and used that with the K&N filter..what i mean is he put that section inside the 3" opening then clamped it down..kind of like an adapter
i see... thats a good idea because the rubber coupler between the filter and intake i think is actually muffling the sound of the intake. it used to sound much deeper and throatier. The filter i have actually comes with rubber adjusters to make it fit 3", 3 1/2" and 4" so i mite just do what your friend did
Old May 19, 2009, 07:28 AM

Aem sells dry (no oiling) cone filters with the 2.5 inch opening that rrm uses. They are $52. I will try this filter if and when my rrm filter decides to fall apart like everyone elses.
Old May 20, 2009, 07:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 08gglancer
Aem sells dry (no oiling) cone filters with the 2.5 inch opening that rrm uses. They are $52. I will try this filter if and when my rrm filter decides to fall apart like everyone elses.
$52?!?! thats a bit pricey. and its dry? im not to informed on filters but isnt oiled better? plus with the coupler to fit mine it all came out to around $30 and i havent noticed any decrease in power. after letting the car's ECU learn the amount of air coming in and all that the sounds is deep and throaty again
Old May 20, 2009, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by anbuzero
... and noticed the metal cap just fell off in my hands and i saw it was rusty and filthy as hell.
Gluing it back on the filter wasn't an option?
Or what about running the filter without the cap? It's only a cosmetic piece anyway.
You could have saved money that could have went on your future K&N filter
Old May 20, 2009, 07:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blaze_125
Gluing it back on the filter wasn't an option?
Or what about running the filter without the cap? It's only a cosmetic piece anyway.
You could have saved money that could have went on your future K&N filter
although im confident the many types of glue in my shop are good enough lol there was no point risking that piece falling off and hitting sumthing important and also it was filthy. plus the temp intake i have on it now has proven to be a very good one, i have heard from a few people that the spectre intakes are just as good as the K&N filters for much less $
Old May 20, 2009, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Search google on the Spectre filters. A domestic guy ran one on his car and it imploded, sucking all the components into his turbo. I'll see if I can dig it up.
Old May 20, 2009, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by revvin9k
Search google on the Spectre filters. A domestic guy ran one on his car and it imploded, sucking all the components into his turbo. I'll see if I can dig it up.
DAMN. that doesnt sound good
Old May 20, 2009, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by anbuzero
DAMN. that doesnt sound good
Better go with a product that's proven its durability. K&N all the way
I've had the same filter for 9 years and used it on 3 different cars.
Old May 20, 2009, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Better go with a product that's proven its durability. K&N all the way
I've had the same filter for 9 years and used it on 3 different cars.
Yeah, take no gamble.!
Old May 20, 2009, 10:30 AM

Sux man, I got the Injen CAI and it is holding up great. Since I got the GTS, had to relocate the Trans cooler. The kit came with the brackets so no problem. A little pricey but you get what you pay for.
Old May 20, 2009, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

u must be out of the loop on this one....chrome is like 20+whp

neways mine fell off but im still runnin it...
Old May 20, 2009, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Get Real

Originally Posted by revvin9k
Imploded? Do you know how much suction it would take for something that isn't air tight to implode? The air filter by its very nature is supposed to let air through. Therefore it would take either a faulty unit, or maybe the vaccuum force of a turbo jet engine to pull apart something that is designed to let air through. Post pics. Unless this guy is running a 5000 hp engine his particular unit was faulty. It happens, no matter the manufacturer of any product, faulty units happen.

Quick Reply: RRM SRI Filter fell apart...auto zone solution