Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

CVT Throttle Body clean???

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2009, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CVT Throttle Body clean???

was at the dealership the other day getting an alignment and the guy who was generally friendly told me the mechanic had taken a look at my throttle body and noticed it was dirty and this was causing my throttle response to suffer. he offered to have it cleaned for $190. now i did the smart thing and told him i would do it next time i came in (since i had no previous knowledge on the throttle body). the truth is my lancer has felt a little slower than normal for the past few months and i was wondering if this could be checked out and done cheaper somewhere else i prefer to give the stealership as little of my $ as i can. he said they attach a vacuum to the lines and just clean it out and i think $190 is a bit steep for sumthing that a vacuum does for u lol if anyone knows anything about this please chime in. thanx
Old May 13, 2009, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a useless service. If you're in the cleaning kind of mood - start with the air filter and MAF sensor.
Old May 13, 2009, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

How many miles do you have?
Old May 14, 2009, 05:28 AM
Evolving Member

i see... i have a 20,000 on it now and i actually went to see a friend of mine who used to be the service manager at the dealership and is now at another location. he showed me what they do and what my car is doing now with it being dirty. he says the carbon that builds up in my fuel injectors restricts the spray of fuel that goes into the chamber. this would explain the occasional no start, the irregular idle at start (although i think that cud be the MAF sensor also) and the crappy acceleration and lack of power lately. i might go in for this in a few weeks because my friend told me he'll have the price dropped a bit so i can save $ for other stuff lol thanx for the responses guys ill keep you updated
Old May 15, 2009, 05:02 AM

I thought when you gun it every once in awhile you clean out some of that carbon build up inside? I could be wrong but I read that a few times, doesn't hurt to try!
Old May 15, 2009, 05:07 AM

Is there a DIY? I saw a couple from youtube for others cars but not for the Lancer.
Old May 15, 2009, 05:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blackdiamonds
I thought when you gun it every once in awhile you clean out some of that carbon build up inside? I could be wrong but I read that a few times, doesn't hurt to try!
not after getting the most bs ticket yesterday. supposedly paced me doing 84 in a 55!?!?!?!?! im driving like a grandma now if cops are going to lie that bad.
but bak on topic yeh this is in the fuel line not the piston chamber. and even so from the little i know carbon buildup in any internal part its a ***** to get out and its deadly for the car

Originally Posted by glbg
Is there a DIY? I saw a couple from youtube for others cars but not for the Lancer.
dont think so ... its a special machine just for that. my friend explained with pictures of the procedure and showed me that when the fuel injector is dirty it will shoot fuel in a stream instead of an even spray which is what you need for the combustion to be proper. wut they do with the machine is close off ur fuel line and i guess ur intake and inject chemicals to break down the carbon in the line and then vacuum it out. sounds legit to me. he said its a very reasonable price and he can get me a discount on top of that so i prob will consider doing this to prevent any future problems

Last edited by anbuzero; May 15, 2009 at 05:43 AM. Reason: adding text
Old May 22, 2009, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

i hope that is not a problem that every lancer guy hits at 20k is that casued by bad gas or something
Old May 22, 2009, 11:15 PM
Evolving Member

my guess is that its the residue from the gas
Old May 22, 2009, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

Dont bother with this service. Use a quality gasoline (i.e. Sunoco or BP). Fill up at the same pump with the same gas. If you see the tanker there, dont fill up, wait a few hours. Also DO NOT put any additives in your tank... PERIOD
Old May 25, 2009, 01:21 PM

Thats a ridiculous amount of money to spend, especially because your throttle body shouldn't need to be cleaned at 20k miles.
Old May 25, 2009, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

well thanx to everyone for the input. as of now im gonna get it done and ill ask to see pics or proof that the injectors r dirty so ill let everyone know as soon as i see the results (hopefully)

and swankin i rather spend $200 (which is rly not that much) than have bigger problems down the road. plus it doesnt depend on milage, its prob the kind of gas i get as lancereva06 said.
Old May 25, 2009, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

at my dealer, we generally charge about 65 bucks to do the fuel injector/tbody clean.
basically there is a chemical from mitsubishi that they recommend using that runs directly into the fuel rail. u pull the fuel pump fuse and the car runs off just this chemical for about 20 minutes-ish. they also take off the intake boot and use throttle body cleaner and clean the throttle body using basically what amounts to a toothbrush and the chemical. car smokes a ton then dies when the injector cleaner runs out. they then dump a can of mitsu fuel injector cleaning additive into the gas tank and service is complete. we generally recommend it every 30k miles along with a tune up and changing the rest of ur fluids.
Old May 25, 2009, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jve153
at my dealer, we generally charge about 65 bucks to do the fuel injector/tbody clean.
basically there is a chemical from mitsubishi that they recommend using that runs directly into the fuel rail. u pull the fuel pump fuse and the car runs off just this chemical for about 20 minutes-ish. they also take off the intake boot and use throttle body cleaner and clean the throttle body using basically what amounts to a toothbrush and the chemical. car smokes a ton then dies when the injector cleaner runs out. they then dump a can of mitsu fuel injector cleaning additive into the gas tank and service is complete. we generally recommend it every 30k miles along with a tune up and changing the rest of ur fluids.
very nice info there. thanx my car is needing this badly. do you by any chance know when a tranny fluid change wud be for the CVT?
Old May 25, 2009, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Snake oil

Quick Reply: CVT Throttle Body clean???