Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

I Need More HP!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Need More HP!

Alright I'm new to this so bear with me here haha. I have an '03 Lancer OZ Rally, and already put in a K&N cold air intake. This summer I want to put in more aftermarket parts that will get me some more HP. More specifically, I'm looking for new headers, a new exhaust system and possibly a performance chip. What brands are the best for each of those and where would I be able to get it?
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

www.speedcorps.com , you can start there as far as the most bang for your buck , your gonna be lookin to turbo it in the long run...

Most people will tell ya just to search on here , you can pm me if you have any specific questions
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good luck getting Hp out of bolt ones . Exhaust is the worst mod for these cars with stock internals and N/a .

I would say get a 4G93 intake manifold , Evo Throttle body , Header , downpipe , test pipe to stock exhaust , RRM pulley , 4G93 camshaft and a tune .

These cars are slow not matter what you do to them so i suggest you do handling modifications and not speed . They do how ever handle extremely well .

-Antonio
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by jlev9391
Alright I'm new to this so bear with me here haha. I have an '03 Lancer OZ Rally, and already put in a K&N cold air intake. This summer I want to put in more aftermarket parts that will get me some more HP. More specifically, I'm looking for new headers, a new exhaust system and possibly a performance chip. What brands are the best for each of those and where would I be able to get it?
Read the link in my sig, bolt-ons are an absolute waste of money as far as power gains are concerned. If you like modding and are willing to spend money simply for the sake of modding, they're an option. If you want power, and want to stay with the 4G94 engine, turbo is the only way to go.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:00 AM

thanks guys
Old Apr 13, 2010, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

dont bother. Save your money and eventually buy an evo. I poored money into a oz rally that was never fast. Every bolt on made no difference. i Saved up and bought my dream car. Hope this helps
Old Apr 13, 2010, 07:49 PM

You really don't see any gains with spending money on a name brand exhaust and headers while sticking NA. I tried that route and am now kicking myself because I eventually am in the process of putting my turbo in now. I would recommend saving up and slowly piecing together a custom turbo kit. There's a lot of evo part outs that you can get great deals on! I spend 1500 total on mine.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 07:51 PM

If your going to stick with NA I would just get an Ebay exhaust which still sound pretty nice and headers.

They're much cheaper and 2.5 inch piping is 2.5 inch piping no matter what brand you buy. Just change the muffler and call it a name brand exhaust

Whatever way you decide to go, best of luck to you! Don't let people bash your NA route. You won't get too much power but your fuel economy will increase
Old Apr 13, 2010, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I know it has been stated several times but turbo is the way to go. But I know how it feels to not have money as I am a poor college student. When I bought my lancer it already had an injen CAI. My first upgrade to the car was borla muffler and a local exhaust shop's 2.5 inch exhaust. It sounded a lot better but didn’t notice a difference in power. I then installed a Fidanza flywheel and act clutch. At the same time I put in 275 cc injectors but just because my stock ones were bad injectors did nothing. But the flywheel made a huge difference. It revved about twice as fast as it use to and it was my second favorite N/A nod. I then did the 4g93 intake swap results here https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...e-results.html The last thing that I installed before turbo was the walbro 255 and Aeromotive adjustable 1:1 FPR It was my favorite mod. As I really enjoy throttle response and this greatly helped that. I then went boost and blew my diff. lol so to recap I would recommend getting the flywheel and FPR. As those were the two mods that I noticed the biggest gains in.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by *02Lancer*
I know it has been stated several times but turbo is the way to go. But I know how it feels to not have money as I am a poor college student. When I bought my lancer it already had an injen CAI. My first upgrade to the car was borla muffler and a local exhaust shop's 2.5 inch exhaust. It sounded a lot better but didn’t notice a difference in power. I then installed a Fidanza flywheel and act clutch. At the same time I put in 275 cc injectors but just because my stock ones were bad injectors did nothing. But the flywheel made a huge difference. It revved about twice as fast as it use to and it was my second favorite N/A nod. I then did the 4g93 intake swap results here https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...e-results.html The last thing that I installed before turbo was the walbro 255 and Aeromotive adjustable 1:1 FPR It was my favorite mod. As I really enjoy throttle response and this greatly helped that. I then went boost and blew my diff. lol so to recap I would recommend getting the flywheel and FPR. As those were the two mods that I noticed the biggest gains in.
did the 4g93 intake just bolt on or do you need some mods to it? Did you also run your walbro pump without a turbo? I was going to install mine now but I heard that it will push to much fuel in the motor or basically make it run to rich?
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes the 4g93 intake does bolt right onto our engine. Our engine 4g94 uses the same head as the 4g93. But our throttle body is bigger i believe so i would advise you opening up the inlet on the manifold to atleast the size of your current throttle body. And yes i was running the walbro 255 and 275cc injectors without being turbo for about 3 weeks before i installed my FPR and ran that way for about a month so total about 2 months with upgraded fuel and no tune before turbo went on. Was i running rich heck yah i was. did it hurt performance yes but it was during the winter and i wasnt racing just needed a DD. So i did what i had to keep it going. Also as stated about speed corps is a good place to buy from and my personal favorite. But there is also Road Race Motorsports, And RPW or Racing Performance Works. All three places sell great parts from what i understand.

Last edited by *02Lancer*; Apr 13, 2010 at 10:55 PM. Reason: more info
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 06redrocket
dont bother. Save your money and eventually buy an evo. I poored money into a oz rally that was never fast. Every bolt on made no difference. i Saved up and bought my dream car. Hope this helps

dont listen to this guy.... its people like this that make lancer owners despise evoM. there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this site as well as a lot of closed minded people. the g94 and g93 are great motors and CAN be a very fast motors. me and a friend of mine just finished dropping in a fully built g93(1.8 mirage motor, basically the same motor with less of a bore and a little better cam) into his mirage. its got wiesco pistons, k1 rods, high lift/ duration cam, cam gear, 3 angle valve job, t3/t4 hybrid turbo... and thats just breaking the surface. the point is that this car will smoke this guys evo or srt *****!! were expecting around 350 to 400hp at 20-24psi once everything is tuned and running good. and even if you do a basic small turbo kit on your lancer at 7-10psi you will still be able to walk on stalk evo's and sti's assuming you have a good tune by a professional. anyways all im trying to say is that these cars can be very fast, it just depends how much time and money your willing to put into them. and dont ever listen to anyone when they tell you that you should have just bought an evo! for the 10 to 15g's more you would have spent on an evo, you can have a fully built evo baby brother that will smash on evo's all day.

also if you wanna join a strictly lancer community that encourages lancer owners to mod theyre cars and give them advise while doing it, join SCLC.NET.

Last edited by crf inc.; Apr 14, 2010 at 12:10 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by crf inc.
dont listen to this guy.... its people like this that make lancer owners despise evoM. there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this site as well as a lot of closed minded people. the g94 and g93 are great motors and CAN be a very fast motors. me and a friend of mine just finished dropping in a fully built g93(1.8 mirage motor, basically the same motor with less of a bore and a little better cam) into his mirage. its got wiesco pistons, k1 rods, high lift/ duration cam, cam gear, 3 angle valve job, t3/t4 hybrid turbo... and thats just breaking the surface. the point is that this car will smoke this guys evo or srt *****!! were expecting around 350 to 400hp at 20-24psi once everything is tuned and running good. and even if you do a basic small turbo kit on your lancer at 7-10psi you will still be able to walk on stalk evo's and sti's assuming you have a good tune by a professional. anyways all im trying to say is that these cars can be very fast, it just depends how much time and money your willing to put into them. and dont ever listen to anyone when they tell you that you should have just bought an evo! for the 10 to 15g's more you would have spent on an evo, you can have a fully built evo baby brother that will smash on evo's all day.

also if you wanna join a strictly lancer community that encourages lancer owners to mod theyre cars and give them advise while doing it, join SCLC.NET.
Then the Evo turns around and spends 2000$ and has 400 HP (or more) as well plus AWD, Brembo brakes, Recaros, etc, etc. I'm sorry but comparing a heavily modified FWD economy car to a more or less stock AWD performance car is silly. They're two very different cars. If you can afford to step up and have no personal attachment to the Lancer, it doesn't make sense to dump more and more money in it to just to get that extra bit of power out of it. You lose reliability at that point and other areas of the car become problems. To say that you can spend less money on a Lancer and get a faster car is wrong. Sure you can have a faster highway roller but it's still not actually faster than the Evo which can stop harder, turn harder and launch harder all without any of the issues associated with modified cars, especially NA cars that are aftermarket turboed. If you can afford to buy an Evo, STI, whatever, do it. If you can't, have some fun modifying the Lancer.

Last edited by ambystom01; Apr 14, 2010 at 08:06 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Then the Evo turns around and spends 2000$ and has 400 HP (or more) as well plus AWD, Brembo brakes, Recaros, etc, etc. I'm sorry but comparing a heavily modified FWD economy car to a more or less stock AWD performance car is silly. They're two very different cars. If you can afford to step up and have no personal attachment to the Lancer, it doesn't make sense to dump more and more money in it to just to get that extra bit of power out of it. You lose reliability at that point and other areas of the car become problems. To say that you can spend less money on a Lancer and get a faster car is wrong. Sure you can have a faster highway roller but it's still not actually faster than the Evo which can stop harder, turn harder and launch harder all without any of the issues associated with modified cars, especially NA cars that are aftermarket turboed. If you can afford to buy an Evo, STI, whatever, do it. If you can't, have some fun modifying the Lancer.

There's nothing to really prove with our base lancers. They weren't meant to be built but more of an economy car with better handling. Any car is fun to modify whether staying NA or Forced Induction. It all depends how much time/effort/and of course money your willing to spend.

Just a tip if your staying NA don't go with name brand exhaust when you can get the same 2.5 inch catback from ebay and throw another tip on it. Either way you won't see much gains name brand or now. Just sound quality.

Don't listen to people that go on these threads and bash our base lancers.

If he wanted to know how great an evo was he would have posted a thread asking the differences. I am pretty sure the thread was asking about cheap hp gains not turning around and buying a different car.

Last edited by LancerOzClint; Apr 14, 2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01

Did I mis-read the title of this thread? I'm pretty sure it says "I want more power", not "I want an evo". Nobody was comparing the two cars. Obviously the evo is an all around better car than the base lancer. But this is not a thread about how he wants to corner better, or launch harder or stop faster or even upgrade his interior. This is a thread about how he can make more power in HIS car. But ill tell you what amby, you go spend 30k on a stock evo, and ill go spend 30k on a base lancer and we'll see who launches harder. I guarantee it won't be you! All I'm saying is that if he wants more power then go spend a 3k to get your car turbo'd and you will be able to pull on evo's. Maybe not from a dead stop, but rolling they won't hang. And I promise you that you will then be happy with the amount of power your base lancer makes. Then you can be happy with the car that you have and start saving for you dream car.

Quick Reply: I Need More HP!