Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Just got headers installed !!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2012, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
it's hard to say what caused it to sound ricey. could be the way the header is bent or it could be the downpipe. i believe that the stock downpipe kinda flattens out a little bit and from what i seen the aftermarket ones are more wide open. that's probably where the noise change came from. the header if anything should of made a deeper tone. but anyways, yeah i would put a resonator in and see if that helps. did the downpipe come with a flex pipe in it? i know a lot of them on ebay don't have one. if it doesn't i would recommend putting one in when you do the resonator. that way your new header doesn't crack. also, did you put any kind of simulator in with you o2 sensor to prevent a CEL? if not and you get one or want to know how to fix it just pm me and i can help ya out. that way if i miss your thread i can still help ya
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah there is a deep sound but as it gets higher up in RPMs the ricey sound starts. I think it came with a flex pipe in it, but im no totally sure what that is when i get home ill put pictures up. But no they just plug the o2 sensors back in so eventually i will by the cell eliminator or rrm but havnt got the check engine light yet but im sure it wont be long
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:50 AM

Some have also said/noticed when a header install is performed the exhaust mani gasket sometimes doesnt seal 100% and air seeping in causes that rice noise. hondas get it alot because of cheap gasket/installs. the flex pipe itself comes right after the downpipe. its usually covered by steel mesh or if its exposed it looks like a crushed soda can...which allows it to flex while driving. usually a hole in that will give it that broken exhaust noise.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
The rice sound is normal. You have a small displacement 4-cylinder, they sound ricey when modified.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 01:54 AM
Evolving Member

Mate go exhaust place get full exhaust dun will sound mean go faster with nice tip
Old Jan 18, 2012, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

No...itl sound worse and you will lose torque.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:44 PM

Congrats! A header does make a huge difference. It's an important piece to help open up the power of the car. I have a kamikaze header and greddy evo cat back laying around in my garage. PM me if anyone is interested. They only have about 20k on them. I need to get rid of them and am willing to let them go very cheap.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
headers and big exhaust kill torque...you don't want exhaust for a turbo car on an N/A lancer, that's just stupid...especially on a car that doesn't have a lot of torque to begin with...

ryancb is right...

I recently replaced the crush pipe between the stock header and catalytic converter to accomodate the downpipe for my turbo on my Ralliart, and noticed a loss in torque, and the cat-back is OEM.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
@ CrAnSwIcK totally agreed!!! even with a turbo car I see guys putting on bigger exhausts than they really need to. A car only putting down 200hp does not need a 3" exhaust, 275-300 hp then yeah I can see the need for a 3" but other than that you're just losing needed backpressure
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:09 AM

^yep
Old Feb 15, 2012, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
for turbo it depends also on the turbine A/R and how the manifold flows, but yeah the principle of differential pressure between intake and exhaust is basically the same for N/A and turbo...so the size of your exhaust is key, and bigger isn't always better...

on my RA (which has considerably more torque than my ES), I went 2.5" from the stock header to and including the cat...and i felt the loss, but it's a happy medium, as my rev limiter is at 7300, and the car breaths better in the 6k rpm range with the larger mid pipe, and you can feel it holds on the power higher in the band, but the low end feels a bit weaker and not as responsive...but it's flanged half way to the cat so i can swap stock for turbo at the drop of a hat which was important since i'm doing a custom tubo setup on my daily driver...

but imagine 4-1 headers and 3" header back, you would love power for sure...