Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Everyone Should Read This!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2002, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everyone Should Read This!!

ok ok...so this maybe slightly off topic but its damn worth it. I stumbled apon this topic at hardforums.com and it broke my heart to read it. For all you ppl who like racing on crowded roads take this into consideration.

Listen up...

Tonight was one of the most shocking nights I have ever had. Some of you may know I'm a volunteer firefighter. I don't get to ride in the cool fire-truck, I'm stuck driving a 99 F-250 "Emergency Response Team" truck (carries the other diver and I and all of the medical/diving/fire/EMS equipment). Anyway we were on our way back from a small kitchen fire when we got behind a semi ricey Eclipse GS-X a pretty ricey Accord V6 and a Camaro RS (this is on a 4 lane road). Now the ****ers had been racing each other light to light and swerving past all slower traffic. So once we got behind them we were going to radio in their plates but before we could the light turned green and off they went.

About maybe a quarter mile ahead was a mini-van (Dodge I beleive) that had turned the way they were going. The Accord in the far right lane was being blocked by the mini van so decided to cut off on the shoulder and attempt to pass the van. Well the rumble strip sort of pulled the car further to the right more the he expected I guess and he cut back left throwing himself infront of the mini-van and Camaro. The 3 racers had to be doing about 80 by now, but the Accord went sideways into the van and then continued on into the Camaro and then into the cement median doing 83 (what the spedo was stuck at we later found). The van ended up rolling because it tried to cut and miss the accord as it hit it.

When we got up to the scene I almost lost my dinner. I've seen gun shot victims, scraped people off railraod tracks, you name it I've probably seen it but this I just couldn't handle. I ran to the Accord first to see what was there. The driver went through the windshield and into the cement median, what was left of his skull was now somewhere compounded into his shoulders and the median. The passanger was a very beautiful girl about my age (19) whos arm was compound fractured beyond physical recognition, and ears were bleeding like crazy. No seat belt either. (Airbags were both removed because of the momo wheel and "engine management consol" on the passanger side) She had some apparent head injury from the windsheild and was either uncounsious or dead. Nothing I could really do in that car at the time.

I ran over to the Camaro to see what was up there. The guy maye 25 or so was ok. Had his seat belt on and everything. I jsut screamed at him to stay in the car until te cops came.

Off in the distance the ****ing Eclipse didn't even stop to see what happened. He fled a fast as his car could go.

Just as I noticed the eclipse, my partner who radio'ed for help and then ran over to van screamed "Chris get the **** over here". This is where I almost lost it. The van on its side held a mother and 2 children, none which were responsive. I crawled into the middle window where I thought the yougest child was. She had to be maybe 4 at the oldest. No seat belt. Was thrown into the window when it rolled then into the pavement I would have imagined. Her head had a rather obvious dent in it BUT she was breathing. I pulled her through the window.

In the passanger seat was a younger boy maybe 10 whos arm was crushed under the tipped over van. It later had to be amputated but he will live do the the 7 minutes of CPR that we did.

The mother was the only one with her seat belt on, the airbag broke her nose and somehow knocker her out. But she is fine. Was concious by the time we got her son breathing again.

The ****er in the Camaro got cuffed and taken away. The girl in the Accord was airlifted away. The young girl in the van later died tonight/this morning from massive head trauma. The driver of the accord obviously died of the same. The boy in the van will live as well, just one arm short.

Sorry about the bad grammer, I'm still in shock. I doubt I'll get much sleep tonight.

But for you *******s that like to pull this **** on occupied roads please PLEASE PLEASE take it to the track. Save your life and someone elses. I'm done ranting now. For those that read this, thanks.
Old Nov 27, 2002, 09:33 PM

omg...
Old Nov 27, 2002, 09:47 PM
Evolving Member

Damn....
Old Nov 27, 2002, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Re: Everyone Should Read This!!

Originally posted by Shmoo

But for you *******s that like to pull this **** on occupied roads please PLEASE PLEASE take it to the track. Save your life and someone elses. I'm done ranting now. For those that read this, thanks.
i definitely agree with that. when i get my Evo, im going to be racing myself, BUT on the tracks. if u want to race, take it down to the tracks and put money on the ****. it takes more time for this, but its a lot safer this way.
Old Nov 27, 2002, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

i think twzice about even speeding now fucced up race on the traccs or sumwhere where your the only life put at risk

NiLe C.
Old Nov 27, 2002, 10:01 PM
Evolving Member

damn that sux. I stopped racing but in the time that i was, i never stopped to think about the people i was putting in danger. This a rude a awakening. This should be taken very seriously. My deepest condolences go out to these families.
Old Nov 27, 2002, 10:01 PM
Evolving Member

It's what I always preach its better to spend the 25 or so dollars at a track then 25 or so behind bars my prayers are with them.
Old Nov 27, 2002, 10:16 PM
Evolving Member

Shmoo, thank you for sharing this chilling story with us. You are right, everyone should read this. I am no saint and i have sped before within reason, but never ever have i done 80 miles or raced at all, let alone in a traffic zone which is worse. I'm not here to say what's wrong or right, but i do hope that the guy in the Eclipse gets punished. Not because he was speeding and racing but for the fact that he didn't have the human decency to stop.
Shmoo, i wanna thank you again for being at the right time and in the right place. This may sound corny, but people like you are real everyday heroes.

God bless you Shmoo and may that little girl rest in peace
Old Nov 27, 2002, 10:21 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

If it stops one accident it was worth posting. And I'd like to think it may have potentially prevented several. It's sad that for some people it will take a story like that to stop them from being irresponsible. It's even sadder that many will continue despite it. Thanks, shmoo.
Old Nov 28, 2002, 11:25 AM

...and thank all of you for reading this and taking it seriously. I hope this message will spread throughout the forums so everyone will become aware of the true reality of street racing. Keep it on the tracks fellows...its where is belongs.
Old Nov 28, 2002, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

dam thats hella sad.. i hate a$$hole like that, they think they can cut people off just cause they drive rice up car. i see alot of this everyday in my state. people should know better!! this go out especially to them dam honda and acura driver!!
Old Nov 28, 2002, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Well, I'm not condoning racing or what not. Everyone has a choice in life whether he/she feels the individual can sacrifice his/her life or the mentality of god-like abilites to take others.

This was the classic case of lack of experience to know what's at stake or common sense. See, I don't mind redlight racing, because everyone is guilty of that crime whether he/she is a cop, soldier, road rager, drunk, drug dealer, or **** holes blocking others.

In this case, first, they broke the rule racing amongst crowded people. Zigging and zapping proves nothing but an inexperience driver.

Next, one idiot decided to pass on the rumble strip where all sorts of garbage and pebbles may cause the car to lose grip.

Third, what's at stake for the GSX driver? Was he actually afraid that his GSX was going to lose to a modded Accord V6 or even a 'maro RS? If he thought so, he shouldn't be driving one.

Finally, I can't stress enough of seat belts. When I was sitting in a friend's GS-T with racing gas on a crowded street, we knew what's at stake and not to push the car beyond its performance envelope. Also, his 1g didn't have a lap belt, and I told him about the submarine effect.

Sure his car chirped a lot in 2nd gear but exploded in speed after catching 3rd gear up to 100 mph. You know what. I was freaking scared, knowing the odds of others chopping in front of us. I wasn't worried about the GS-T's braking ability or stability. I was more concerned about others believing that their car is faster than a GS-T (never underestimate stupidity).

In conclusion, little things add up. One thing leads to another. If they just slowed down and followed one another until the road clears up, this tragedy could have been averted for another day.

If they still want to race in the crowded street, one should be smart enough not to pass on the rumble strip!
Old Nov 28, 2002, 04:19 PM

Yes bahamut but one should not be racing in areas that are not meant for racing in the first place. They shouldnt have to follow each other until the "road clears up" because they dont have the right to be driving at high speeds there anyway. The smallest object might seem miles away, but at that rate of speed it could creep up on u in an instant.

As you said Bahamut "If they still want to race in the crowded street, one should be smart enough not to pass on the rumble strip!"

See the thing is one who races on a crowded street isnt very smart to begin with. This is first hand proof...
Old Nov 28, 2002, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

this is y

this is the exact reason I went off on some one on the forum how said they go out and street race cant remeber how it was but listten and learn go to your local auto cross or drag strip and do not give the BS their are none look and you will find
Old Nov 28, 2002, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

That's pretty upsetting...... damn shame that some people are that irresponsible....

Quick Reply: Everyone Should Read This!!