Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Ordering a header TODAY!!! Thoughts...PLEASE!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2005, 05:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordering a header TODAY!!! Thoughts...PLEASE!!

Well I'm going to order a header today!!! I was going to go with the Kamikaze header and downpipe. Whoever has Kamikaze...do you like it? My funds are limited so should I get the high-temp black paint? or put in alittle more for the Nickel chrome or ceramic coating?

Well, myself and a co-worker will be installing it, and it seems it should not be a difficult project. The O2 sensor is located in the same spot as the stock as it'll be a direct replacement..which is good. Then I'll probably just switch my second cat around so the second O2 sensor is behind the second cat that way it'll read that everything is ok...no CEL I hope. My backup plan will be the mil eliminator so I'm going to order that too.

OR should I order a RRM header? Any reason to get RRM over Kamikaze? Or do you think I'll be ok with Kamikaze?

Any thoughts and comments will be very helpful and GREAT!!! Thanks
Old Feb 21, 2005, 05:20 AM

i dunno, but i am going to order one soon, so this is a great question!
Old Feb 21, 2005, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

there's a lot of good opinions on here about the kamikaze header. everyone seems happy with the gains and sound of it. if money is tight, or if you're not willing to spend 500 bucks... then get the kamikaze. it comes with the downpipe making it probably the best deal for 250 from ebay or bigjoshracing.com The RRM header and RPW header only come with the header and its around 250-300 i think. You still have to spend money to get the downpipe, which is another 150. Kamikaze is perfect in this aspect that its still a really good header from a top manufacturer and is a quality product at a low price. Get the kamikaze, you'll be happy.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by N1te
there's a lot of good opinions on here about the kamikaze header. everyone seems happy with the gains and sound of it. if money is tight, or if you're not willing to spend 500 bucks... then get the kamikaze. it comes with the downpipe making it probably the best deal for 250 from ebay or bigjoshracing.com The RRM header and RPW header only come with the header and its around 250-300 i think. You still have to spend money to get the downpipe, which is another 150. Kamikaze is perfect in this aspect that its still a really good header from a top manufacturer and is a quality product at a low price. Get the kamikaze, you'll be happy.
Should I get the High-temp black paint? or the Nickel Chrome? or the ceramic coating?
Old Feb 21, 2005, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

I just ordered the Kamikaze header and mil eliminator from Bigjoshracing.com.

Anyone else order from them? If you did, how long did it take you to get your order? Just wondering!!
Old Feb 21, 2005, 11:22 AM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Although you already ordered them, I hear that ceramic is best for heat, high temp paint is ok, and nickel does nothing for the heat but looks pretty in car shows.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by urbanknight
Although you already ordered them, I hear that ceramic is best for heat, high temp paint is ok, and nickel does nothing for the heat but looks pretty in car shows.
Yeah I ordered the high temp black paint already. Can't wait for it. I hate the wait of shipping Oh well...

Now it's time to start saving for my next mod.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

Congrats on the purchase Scott...good luck with it.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JerseyLancer02
Congrats on the purchase Scott...good luck with it.
THANK YOU

If there are any tips on install or anything you can think of PLEASE let me know. For Example:

The Mil Eliminator goes on which O2 sensor?...the first or the second?

But before I do that, I'm going to try and switch my cat around so that the second O2 sensor is behind the second cat....that way I don't have to use the mil eliminator which is plan A. The mil eliminator is plan B

But thank you again.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

Well install is not bad; lol i shoulda done a write up on it =) But basically get some drive up ramps; park it; block it. Then you can start to disconnect the downpipe/(fromthe)/header. Well; you might want to unbolt the part that secures to the cat; its a ***** to get loose; the rest is basicly just unbolt and bolt on. Oh you might want to get ready for the O2 sensor; be sure you use a WRENCH and not a pair of pliers or channel locks, the will strip it. (i about beat mine to hell and back trying to get it off); they are about 320$ to replace. I dont have any complaints about my kami header, i got the high coat black paint and its chipping after about 5 months; but i dont think it affects performance; GREAT BUY!
-Heath
Old Feb 21, 2005, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

I got Kamikaze's ceramic coated header and i LOVE it it's among my mods on my car in the registry and install is under engine tech ( i think ) You will love the boost you get about 4000 rpm's and upwards. The install does take a while because of that cursed lower left nut but the header is a very good mod. Just go to auto zone - or something like that - and just get yourself a oxygen sensor socket. It will make the removal and re install SO much easier. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Last edited by Lil red '03; Feb 21, 2005 at 04:50 PM. Reason: stupidity
Old Feb 21, 2005, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by N1te
The RRM header and RPW header only come with the header and its around 250-300 i think. You still have to spend money to get the downpipe, which is another 150. Kamikaze is perfect in this aspect that its still a really good header from a top manufacturer and is a quality product at a low price. Get the kamikaze, you'll be happy.

Nothing gets me more upset on this board than people talking about stuff they know nothing about. The RPW is a complete bolt on system. Unlike the RRM header which either uses the stock downpipe or you end up having to spend extra to have a custom made downpipe or buy the Buschur racing one.

Since the originator of this thread already made his decision on a header then good luck to you with that. I hope you did not make it based on misinformation.
I understand that money was tight for you so with that in Mind the Kamikaze is probably the best bet.

WADAD
Old Feb 21, 2005, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

sry.. I wasn't sure on the RPW it was a guestimation but I know the RRM is just the header
Old Feb 22, 2005, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds like it should be shipped on Wednesday. Should be at my door by next Friday. Then I'll install that weekend.

Any more tips or suggestions I need when I install the header and downpipe?
Old Feb 22, 2005, 05:38 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I got the bottom left nut off by putting a wrench under the header, tying a rope to the end of the wrench and pulling up. It's too hard to try and get leverage otherwise. Everything else is simple. I think i had everything unbolted except the bottom left nut in less than 30 minutes but i spent well over an hour cussing at the bottom left bolt and breaking things.

Quick Reply: Ordering a header TODAY!!! Thoughts...PLEASE!!