Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Question about mods

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2003, 01:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about mods

Hi, I am thinking of getting a new lancer, but I wanted to know what performance modifications I can do without voiding the warranty. I want to up the horsepower a little bit...10-20hp, that's it. Thanks..

-Evan
Old May 1, 2003, 01:32 AM
Evolved Member

you can do tons of stuff without voiding the warranty, errrr....i fogot what the aftermarket law or some deal is called but im sure hobey will jump on here and give you the name to search for.

go for an exhaust and a cold air intake to start that should get you where you want to go.
Old May 1, 2003, 01:33 AM

Thanks for the quick reply intake and exhaust sounds good.
Old May 1, 2003, 01:40 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah. In a nutshell, a dealer has to prove that a modification caused the the necessary service in order to void a warranty claim.
Old May 1, 2003, 01:41 AM

Are mods likely to actually screw anything up? I read a CAI can hydrolock your car...but you have to drive through a LOT of water, so I guess it's not likely. Is it really a risk just driving in the rain?
Old May 1, 2003, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

drivin in the rain is not really a problem. though mine sputters a little when accelerating in the rain
Old May 1, 2003, 11:07 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by OZevoVII
you can do tons of stuff without voiding the warranty, errrr....i fogot what the aftermarket law or some deal is called but im sure hobey will jump on here and give you the name to search for.

go for an exhaust and a cold air intake to start that should get you where you want to go.
HOBEY!? HOBEY!?

...Man, that's worse than when people refer to me as "Hobbie". Anyway, just call me Andrew.

Try looking at SEMA.org for the truth about warranties and aftermarket parts. If you really wanna tune your car though you're asking to get hassled at dealerships. Basic intake, header, exhaust mods should grant you 10-20 HP at the crank. They won't exactly make your car wicked fast or anything, but they should fit your needs.