Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

help!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2007, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help!!

can someone direct me to the best write up of painting ur interior trim. ive searched and theres like 8 pages worth of list under the how tos of the search word "paint" im wanting to paint the interior of my car i think red or dark red. i would like the best write up cuz i read one and it didnt say anything about prep or what type of sand paper. and im pretty sure u need to sand it first i may be wrong but idont know. if someone could direct me to a good write up id be greatly thankful.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 08:51 PM

I wouldn't paint the interior any wild colors. But that's just me. Do what you like.

Personally, I want to replace all the gray accents in my car with black ones that match. Now, I wouldn't paint them, but maybe I could switch them out or something. Just tired of the whole grey-and-black scheme going on in my ES. :/
Old Jan 25, 2007, 08:57 PM

well my entire car is candy apple red. red neons red needles and guages. hmm. i dont really want to go with the black. and ive seen some cars that were blue have blue and white interior. hmm i dont kno the color yet certainly but i do need to find out the best way to do it.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

You saw my car with blue and white interior

Trust me, after a while you will want to poke out your eye ***** cause you wont be able to stand looking at the annoying colors.

But if you must... you will need...

First things first, the Gatoraide, second the phone so you can call in sick, you will need to get an early start and work through the day, interior paint is a must obviously (auto zone/advanced auto parts), rubbing alcohol (dollar store), something like 320 grit sandpaper, painters masking tape ohh yeah and primer (you will need 2 layers of paint and primer).

Most things you see here will pop out with a 1 sided screw driver, the big piece with the airbag has many hidden screws, if you have the time it can be done

But as you can see, we had two different goals, mine was to de-rice

The best advice I can give you is wait more than one day before putting the parts back in, I started Sat morning and had mostly everything back in the car at night time, the longer you wait, the harder the paint will be to scratch when your putting everything back in, and you will have a cleaner result.

Last edited by dewood*; Jan 25, 2007 at 09:38 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 09:32 PM
Evolving Member

i like how the gatorade is half empty in the pic after the one where its full...lol. but good job on the de-ricing!
Old Jan 25, 2007, 09:43 PM

yeah i get you on the whole sick of the color sheme. but i want to go with red and black. like you have the white and grey pieces is the pieced i want to paint red.
and im nto even going to take the whole dash out. lol. just like the center console and the radio pannel and stuff like that. and the door pannels like the window button and the little easy out pannels and the oh **** handles but good job. what type of sand paper i hear to use like 1200. which is better and how well do i sand it. so prime then paint and do like 2 coats each
Old Jan 25, 2007, 09:44 PM

and is that a can of fix-it flat attached to the back of ur dash? lol
Old Jan 25, 2007, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by secluesioned
and is that a can of fix-it flat attached to the back of ur dash? lol
I assume your talking about the airbag?
Old Jan 25, 2007, 10:34 PM

thats a airbag. damn. lol. its a bag and a bottle of air lol.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 10:36 PM

honestly i have no idea about airbags lol. or how they work or anything. but i some how find that amusing. and my friend hit someone in the rear with his oz and the airbags did nto deploy but when they hooked the cable from the wrecker to it they poped lol
Old Jan 25, 2007, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Crypto has a nicely done interior, do a such and you'll find it.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 04:39 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ambystom01
Crypto has a nicely done interior, do a such and you'll find it.
you can also do a search, and this is what you would stumble accross
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=247198

good luck doing your interior, careful you don't over do it. And also be patient, a couple of my pieces i did, i didn't wait long enough for the paint to dry before i put them back, and they have finger prints on em. (thankfully they are in the back of the car where i don't see em )

Last edited by crypto; Jan 26, 2007 at 04:42 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 06:03 AM

yeah ive seen that crypto. its just not detailed enough for me to do this myself. i need a detailed how to do this. like exactly what sand paper. and i havent figured out exactly what pieces i want to paint. ive searched cardomain and other places looking at lancers that have been painted. i dont know.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 06:07 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok well the best thing you can do is to search for the how-to on changing light bulbs. There is a one with pictures. This will guide you through on taking the entire dash and center console apart. Its pretty easy. All you need is a phillips head screwdriver and a butter knife.
As far as sandpaper goes. Anything with a fine grit, i don't even know what i used, it was just whatever was lying around. You really don't have to sand much though, because the plastic matierial has a roughish surface the paint sticks pretty well. i didn't even use primer.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 06:14 AM

yeah i know how to take the dash apart. just not taking the whole thing out. hmm ive searched but i will search again.

Quick Reply: help!!