Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Lancer vs. Rio

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2007, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lancer vs. Rio

Note: This was NOT street racing. It occured on a closed course.

So last night somebody I knew had been talking up their Kia Rio (woohoo, buy one get one free). I asked if he wanted to race just for fun to see what would happen. The Rio he had was the 110hp 5 speed manual, no AC/PS, no radio, etc. Weighed 1900-2000lbs. I considered this race a joke and was ready to rip his doors off.

Well, we only made 1 pass due to time constraints but with me brake torquing at about 3kRPM's (the max I am comfortable to do to my DD lol) and him revving to about 4k we launched. We both chirped quite a bit. I had a solid launch, the car bogged very minimally which is our lancers biggest problem from a dig. Despite this good launch his 5 speed toy of a car leaped ahead immediately, him being about 2 car lengths ahead in the first 100 feet or so. When my car finally reached it's "powerband" (if you can even call it that), I started catching up but we only raced about 1/8th mile and never had the time to catch him. He won by about 1/2-1 car length. I wasn't necessarily disappointed with my cars performance (as I believe the pass was easily a 10.3-10.4 1/8th mile pass which I consider good for a lancer with only the basic bolt ons.) as I was impressed with the Rio's performance. They aren't fast cars by any means but he can jump off the line like a bike.

In summary a car that weighs 1000lbs more and is an automatic just can't hang with a car that is that light and a 5 speed. From a roll I think I could have won fairly easily, but he won fair and square from a dig.

I just can't wait until all my motor work comes in.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 08:39 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that right there should tell anyone, NA will not get you anywhere with the lancer
Old Sep 6, 2007, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by iufan4lifeul
I wasn't necessarily disappointed with my cars performance
wait... you just lost to a rio
Old Sep 6, 2007, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

no offense , but this post is what any person should consider when buying a lancer for performance, there just isnt any. nothing, nill, zero, its a car to take you where u need to go thats it. not meaning to bash it, but if u want performance look elsewhere, dont flush it down the toilet on a lancer, i went threw this before i got the evo, i would have rather paid an extra 200.00 + per month and had the evo payment then waste my time and money on tuning an absolute shiiiittttbox, i hope i save someone from going down this path. remember i said performance, so if u just like a loud muffler and loud radio by all means lancer it up.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 08:55 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kinloch99
no offense , but this post is what any person should consider when buying a lancer for performance, there just isnt any. nothing, nill, zero, its a car to take you where u need to go thats it. not meaning to bash it, but if u want performance look elsewhere, dont flush it down the toilet on a lancer, i went threw this before i got the evo, i would have rather paid an extra 200.00 + per month and had the evo payment then waste my time and money on tuning an absolute shiiiittttbox, i hope i save someone from going down this path. remember i said performance, so if u just like a loud muffler and loud radio by all means lancer it up.
He raced a car that weighs 1000 lbs. less.
He raced his auto vs. the Rio's manual.
The cars have similar power stats.

What the bloody Hell are you expecting??? Yeah, we all think that $3,000 in mods will let us destroy everything. But we've known for a while that it just doesn't work that way.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

It's good to see how well you did considering the weight and the trans differences.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

the weight is part of why the lancer sux for performance. listen i said what i said, if u want to be on par racing kia's and hyundai, then the lancer is for u, if u want crap on vtecs, spank mustangs and pissoff vettes then just buck up and pay for the evo.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Yea, like I said I am not complaining. I am going to rerace him when i get the head, cam, etc. done.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

the weight is part of why the lancer sux for performance. listen i said what i said, if u want to be on par racing kia's and hyundai, then the lancer is for u, if u want crap on vtecs, spank mustangs and pissoff vettes then just buck up and pay for the evo.
Vtecs and mustangs... Wow, comparing your evo to them is sad. BTW, corvettes kill evo's. Plain and simple. I LOVE evo's but they are nothing compared to a corvette in ***** out racing.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

well i have 2000.00 into my evo and crush all vettes from a dig and only the new genration can hang from a roll. i pull 12.1 1/4 miles all day. go see what class of car does that
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo vs Lancer
We've done that one before.

Bigger Budget vs Smaller Budget

Bigger budget wins. End of story.

Now back to Lancer VS Rio
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

i wasnt trying to bash, just trying to save some young buck from falling in the pit i did, if u want to hang with the big boys u must buck up and it is worth it, money isnt the only thing car choice is important, a used srt4 with 2000.00 in mods will do alot. i would love a porsche, cant afford one.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

i will leave this discussion, although i had good intentions i probably **** u guys off, sorry.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

i wasnt trying to bash, just trying to save some young buck from falling in the pit i did, if u want to hang with the big boys u must buck up and it is worth it, money isnt the only thing car choice is important, a used srt4 with 2000.00 in mods will do alot. i would love a porsche, cant afford one.
No one said anything about hanging with the big boys. We were talking about a rio and a Lancer. Says so in the title. Thanks for playing though. As for the vette thing, I don't care if you have 5 grand in your Evo, a vette still wins.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

i had to come back just to abuse shingen, are the dumbest person on these boards? i posted my times, ive beat down vette's, (also been beat by a few newbies from a roll) the c5 vette was a pig, fast yes but not evo fast, sorry that u wear your vette pj's to bed at night but wake up before spewing craaapp out of your mouth. also i think u anre the little faaaaggot that turned me in for flaming u once b4 , so why not do it again.

Quick Reply: Lancer vs. Rio