Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

2008s - want new wiper blades?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2007, 10:15 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by EmanantEvo
I ran the Bosch Icons on my EVO and ended up influencing a few friends to use them. Local stores carry them. Part number for the 08 GTS is 426A and 418A
I have the same on my car. Love 'em. Haven't compared them to the PIAAs, but with the PIAAs being pretty cheap on eBay, I might try them next.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So how are the wipers? And how do they work anyway? Efficient hopefully.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 03:16 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Didn't get to install them (box arrived right before I left for work).

From experience with PIAA blades (had them on my 02 Lancer, my 01 Subaru and my fiancee's Saturn), the work great. They coat the windshield with a light layer of silicone, so water beads on contact (kinda like Rain-X). The blades are very efficient and last much longer than traditional rubber blades.

The fact that this is the 4th set I've purchased kinda says a lot, I suppose.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Excellent I think I'll give the black ones a try then. Any idea how they perform in snow and icey conditions?

Last edited by Karan; Sep 20, 2007 at 08:25 AM.
Old Nov 1, 2007, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Bump. Any updates?
Old Nov 1, 2007, 11:29 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just recently got a coupon from Mitsu in the mail with my monthly car payment slip. Its calling for a free 27-point inspection a complimentary set of Mitsu wiper blades. Free wipers? Free Inspection? Win? Hehehe.
Old Nov 1, 2007, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

I always use PIAA wiper blades - thanks for the find, OP. The prices are great! Using a tape measure - priceless!
Old Nov 2, 2007, 09:03 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Karan
Bump. Any updates?
Oops. Never posted back.

Installed them and love them. They work great in the rain and the beading of the water really helps. It's nice to be able to just not use them because the water leaves on it's own.

They did fine with the frost on my windshield today. But the wiper fluid with de-icer in it helped a lot too.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks man, i'll have to keep a look out for these de-icing fluids. If not I might just buy a container of spray on Rain-X?

Just ordered the wipers yesterday from ebay, around $55 for the pair of them shipped.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 07:15 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Karan
Thanks man, i'll have to keep a look out for these de-icing fluids. If not I might just buy a container of spray on Rain-X?

Just ordered the wipers yesterday from ebay, around $55 for the pair of them shipped.
It's not hard to find. Just go to the local parts store. Or even Kmart/Walmart. I got Prestone De-Icer fluid. It was $3 and filled the car up.

Rain-X is good stuff, but you just bought PIAA wiper blades, so it would be kind of a waste of money.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 08:19 PM
EvoM Administrator

Figured I'd bump this to let people know that if you live in a colder climate, consider something different than the PIAA blades. I put mine on in November and they're already pretty much toast. Kind of pissed that I pretty much threw away $40. They have all the same problems that every other "standard frame" style wiper has - uneven pressure on the blade, causing streaking (within a month of buying them), freezing up when it gets really cold, ice build up, etc.

I was going to go back to the Bosch Icons, but it looks like Tire Rack is having a BOGO on the Valeo wipers, so I think I'm going to try those this time around.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 12:41 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by otter
Figured I'd bump this to let people know that if you live in a colder climate, consider something different than the PIAA blades. I put mine on in November and they're already pretty much toast. Kind of pissed that I pretty much threw away $40. They have all the same problems that every other "standard frame" style wiper has - uneven pressure on the blade, causing streaking (within a month of buying them), freezing up when it gets really cold, ice build up, etc.

I was going to go back to the Bosch Icons, but it looks like Tire Rack is having a BOGO on the Valeo wipers, so I think I'm going to try those this time around.
That's really weird. It's been freezing every day here and I don't have that problem. Sorry to hear you do!
Old Feb 24, 2008, 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

When the snow and freezing rain hits up here in Canada, traditional frame wipers tend to pack up with ice. I'm running Icons on my 08 now, and I havn't had a problem all winter. I had Piaa's on my last car, and they were awesome in the summer, but every winter they would be basically useless. The Icons don't bead the water, but at least I get constant blade pressure
Old Feb 25, 2008, 11:18 AM
EvoM Administrator

Yeah, I used to run the Icons and liked them a lot. If PIAA would release their silicone blade on a frameless setup, that'd be awesome.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

I've noticed you can get refill blades for the PIAAs (which I have and like a lot). Anyone done this before or know anything about it? If I can just spend $7-9 a pop instead of the price for a full blade and get the same result, I'm all in.

Quick Reply: 2008s - want new wiper blades?