Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

FAST Key "Key" Not Starting '09 Lancer GTS

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2008, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation FAST Key "Key" Not Starting '09 Lancer GTS

So I have a problem with my car and I wanted to know if anyone else had it. I was wondering what would happen if my battery died in my FAST Key, then I remembered that it has an actual key that can open the doors and start the car. I staged the problem and ran into an even bigger one. I can get into the car, but the key definitely will NOT start the car. All it does is click and then stop. The key can go in the ignition both directions, and neither way seems to work. I tried it with the key F.O.B. in the car and outside the proximity. No luck. Now, I know that Mitsubishi didn't give us a key that fits the ignition, but doesn't start the car, so I am assuming that something is wrong with my car. I tried my other key, to rule out a simple key issue, but neither one will work. What's the point of a key that won't even start your car in an emergency? Is this a known issue or am I just a lucky one?
Old Jun 17, 2008, 07:51 PM
Evolving Member

is your battery dead?
Old Jun 17, 2008, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Geaux
is your battery dead?
Battery is not dead. The car runs fine while using the FastKey fob. It's when I try to start the car with the physical key that the car won't start. Engine won't crank over at all. Almost as if it's not the right key (although it does fit in the ignition and turns fine). Has anyone out there tried starting the car with their 09 key?
Old Jun 18, 2008, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

the key thats in the fast key is not used to start the car. The clicker itself must be in the car in order to stasrt thew car b/c of the immbolizer.....read the manual. it explains it in there
Old Jun 18, 2008, 12:49 PM

So basically, if the key F.O.B. is not working, I have to have my car towed?

That also brings up another question. Why would they have an ignition with a place for a key to fit, if it serves no purpose?
Old Jun 18, 2008, 01:07 PM

I'm pretty sure there's something going on with the keyfob thing. I noticed this myself and I figured that the hardkey will not start the car unless the keyfob is actually dead. It might be that the sensors in the car can tell the difference between the keyfob being away from the car vs. it's battery being dead.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by live2teach
So basically, if the key F.O.B. is not working, I have to have my car towed?

That also brings up another question. Why would they have an ignition with a place for a key to fit, if it serves no purpose?
The clicker is an immobilizer, if its not in the car....it won't start...your car will tell u wen the battery is low in the clicker...the key does serve a purpose it lets u turn on the battery, basically everything except start the car
Old Jun 23, 2008, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by teichou
I'm pretty sure there's something going on with the keyfob thing. I noticed this myself and I figured that the hardkey will not start the car unless the keyfob is actually dead. It might be that the sensors in the car can tell the difference between the keyfob being away from the car vs. it's battery being dead.

It leaves me a little leery. I would like to have some solid reassurance that the key would start the car if I was ever left in that situation. I think it is a bad setup. Battery being out is like the battery being dead. If you take the battery out, will the key start the car? Me, being, a girl, needs to worry a little more about being stranded out in the middle of nowhere.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by live2teach
It leaves me a little leery. I would like to have some solid reassurance that the key would start the car if I was ever left in that situation. I think it is a bad setup. Battery being out is like the battery being dead. If you take the battery out, will the key start the car? Me, being, a girl, needs to worry a little more about being stranded out in the middle of nowhere.
Just leave the fast key in the house and then go and open/start the car with just the normal key. Then that should give you a heads up on whether you would be screwed or not!

*EDIT: nevermind! you tried that! haha

Last edited by Fergy33WF; Jun 23, 2008 at 06:52 PM. Reason: my own stupidity
Old Jun 23, 2008, 08:28 PM

I've never tried it myself. While the metal key is in the ignition, you need the FAST key to turn the actualy key in the ignition to start the car. Makes me wanna try that out right now haha. But the car's in the garage and I need to shower and sleep zzzz
Old Jun 24, 2008, 01:47 PM

Please do try it with the FAST Key in the car & in the house. If anyone gets it to work, let me know what you did. I can't make it happen & need to know if I need to take it in or not.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

How do you start the car with the fast key? Just press a button while the thing is in your pocket? If the batteries dead in your fast key, could having the key in the ignition allow you to start the car with the button that you would usually press?

I'm pretty sure I'm of no help not owning this model car but I thought I'd try
Old Jun 24, 2008, 02:11 PM
Evolving Member

Old Jun 24, 2008, 06:43 PM

Would somebody mind trying to start their car with the physical key. Lots of speculation out there but until somebody else tries to duplicate this, I won't know if it's normal or something wrong with my car. Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

To use the fast key with a dead battery you need to place the FAST key on the back of the emergency key in the ignition switch. Then turn the key and it will start. The immobilizer antenna will energize the FAST key to start the car. You can remove the FAST key fob portion after the car is started.
I believe this is in the owners manual.

Quick Reply: FAST Key "Key" Not Starting '09 Lancer GTS