Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Racing 08 GTS at Drag Strip

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2008, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Racing 08 GTS at Drag Strip

I have an 08 GTS CVT with a cat back exhaust system, injen CAI, and no cats. I was challenged by a co worker who drives a 95 mazda miata thats alll stock to race at the fontana speedway drag day on august 16th. he thinks hes gonna win i think i am. what do you guys believe will happen........
Old Jul 29, 2008, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Fortunately for you, older motors tend to lose a little bit over time. I think even at 40,000 miles C&D said they lost a few tenths on their evo.

Anyhow, I think both cars stock for stock run 16's. With your mods I'm sure you gained a little bit so I'd say you might be able to take him.

Is the Miata Auto or Manual? That's probably the kicker right there because off the line is where he might have the advantage with the manual.

I would take everything out of the car that you don't need to try to shed a few lbs. It might help. Spare tire, tools, jack, etc...
Old Jul 29, 2008, 01:10 PM

his miata is stick shift
Old Jul 29, 2008, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FWIW (and that may not be much) I predict the Miata will dust the Lancer.

The Lancer GTS with CVT is heavy, and I haven't heard anything very positive about acceleration with the CVT. The Miata is the better part of 1000 lbs lighter, and only about 22 HP worse off in the power department (compared to stock).

Some rough calculations show the Miata at 18 lbs per HP and the Lancer at 21 lbs per HP. Those numbers are for stock cars, and maybe your intake and exhaust mods help a bit, but I think the Miata has a significant power/weight advantage.

If the guy is a reasonably competent driver, then I'd say he has the advantage.

As stated above, do everything you reasonably can to get rid of some weight: remove spare tire, tools, empty beer cans, full beer cans, girlfriend, etc. Run with as little gas in the tank as you can without running out of gas! Put it all in the other guy's trunk when he's not looking, and hope he muffs his launch.

Sorry, but you did ask for opinions! I'd be happy to be proven wrong!
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:34 PM

If you don't race, maybe you should ask for tips and advice. Members here have taken or still are drag racing. I don't race but I heard that on Drive mode car will run faster than using the sportronic. If you use the shifter paddles, I heard that around 4k to 4.5k is the sweet spot to shift. I don't know. I'll have to try it for my self to confirm those.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 11:24 PM
Account Disabled

fastest results at a drag strop..go in N give it some gas..shift straight to Sporst mode all the way through first...all the way through second till you get to about 6k right before the limiter wont let you go..and then shift back to D..which will leave you at that point constantly giving you a better time..thats how i got my best time
Old Jul 31, 2008, 07:30 AM
Former Sponsor

weight makes the difference, the Miata is a peppy car due to its weight
Old Jul 31, 2008, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
His Miata should run like 16.3@84-86mph or so. They are not fast at all, I had one. I believe he has the 1.6l but I am not sure if it was changed to the 1.8l in 94 or in 96, either way, it is a light car but it significantly lacks on power.

Carlos
Old Jul 31, 2008, 09:43 AM

ok i tried testing out the shifting in sport mode, from my tests shifting at 4 or 4.5k is not as fast as shifting at 6k. if you are already rolling just leaving it in auto is the fastest. but off the line using sports mode and shifting at the rev limiter is the way to juice the car for whatever it has
Old Jul 31, 2008, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

It may be a close race but I think the miata will win. If your lancer would have had a manual tranny then my vote would have been for you.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 11:45 PM

Miata will win

Having driven both cars, I will say the Miata will win. The Miata is a great sports car. Just make sure it doesn't have a turbo or
Old Aug 25, 2008, 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

The race is supposed to have happened by now. What were the results???
Old Aug 25, 2008, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

+1. Don't be ashamed to say you lost.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

Results or FAIL!

I hope you won though.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

Somewhat OT, but I took my Boxster to the track (Summit Point, Shenandoah) for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Much fun. There were quite a few Mazdas there (Miatas and RX-7s). At least some of them were modified, some were dedicated track cars, and they moved pretty fast. The Shenandoah Circuit is pretty challenging, and that was my first day on that track. Hopefully, I'll be faster next time.

Quick Reply: Racing 08 GTS at Drag Strip