Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Black boxes in our lancers???

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2002, 11:47 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black boxes in our lancers???

Tonight on fox news they were talking about black boxes in newer cars that can help in figuring out accidents. They said since the middle 90's cars have been equipped with them, but until recently only two manufactures have released these codes so that cops can really see who was at fault in an accident. These black boxes give info like throttle, speed and braking speed for the last five seconds leading up to the accident. wow, whats next. They were saying lapd was going to invest in the hardware and schooling they need so that officers could read the black boxes. So often accidents that ended in manslaughter, by either computer simulations or theories they would now be able to see facts and data to witness those at fault. They said auto manufactuers have used them in the past years for crash test, so they knew how things performed in a collision. Whats next a cop going to pull you over and hook up to your computer and see if you were speeding and base a ticket on that. Geez What technology has brung us, is this good or bad. Let me here your opinions.
Old Apr 29, 2002, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have never heard anything about that before...
well anyways about ur speeding worry, i could already think of a couple loopholes in that process, so dun worry bout that... its good if this black box does exist that it'll make accidents alot easier to take care of....
Old Apr 29, 2002, 11:56 AM
Account Disabled

it would be helpful

yeah its just crazy that they used to be only in airplanes and now in cars. They said on the news in one case it would have saved 32,000 dollars in recreation analysis, if they could have just read the black box. Its good to know. They said it can be good too if another driver says you were speed and you said you were not now all they have to do is read the black box and the truth is born.
Old Apr 29, 2002, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

that sux...the speeding thing
pretty soon they are gonna require u to put it on all cars
Old Apr 29, 2002, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

I have heard of it in the past but discounted it as mere rumor. If so, I don't like it. It might correct some mistakes in criminal or accident cases, but it ultimately gives more power to cops.

Don't make a cop be lazy and make you a victim being an easy target!!! Believe me, there are monthly ticket quotas, no matter how hard the department denies it.