Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Starting a Lancer 2003 ES Project

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2014, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting a Lancer 2003 ES Project

Hey guys
I have a 2003 Lancer ES Automatic that was my first car, currently it has 46k miles. I got it new as my first car when I was 16.

I have always had a pretty short commute while I owned it, and used it seldom in college, mostly during summers. It's been garaged some of the time(its early years), but also outside. Probably 50/50.

I recently bought a new car and now want to do some work on the Lancer.

I've never done this kind of work, though I have read up a bit and feel like I have a good grasp of the theory.

I also have my dad and friends who can help me out. I've also found a reliable shop nearby that is willing to help me out with advice and parts.

About the Car
It has had one accident and has unfortunately from that point on it made a noise from the front passenger side.
I believe I was 17, learned how understeer worked firsthand, wet out, took a corner too fast, locked the wheels, hopped curb into a fire hydrant. Was a good learning experience, have been more tame since then.

Driving it is still fun, even with its low power you can take it into a corner and just use the brake a bit to swing the back end in, and add power with the accelerator pulling yourself out of the corner and spinning the outside wheel. Even though I got a new car, I still drive it once in awhile for a smile.

Still goes up to 90 mph with no complaints and no shaking, haven't taken it higher in awhile.

I took it to the shop to get it checked out and this is due to bad bushings, as they told me:
  • a wheel bearing has failed which is causing a noise especially while braking.
  • The sway bar and steering rack bushings are also completely destroyed due to a leaking power steering pressure line leaking fluid directly onto these bushings.
A lot of this is due to the firehydrant accident, and I guess the previous shops didn't do very good work repairing it. This new shop is much better and I plan to drop it off next week to have this stuff fixed(~1000$).

After that I plan to do the work that I am capable of doing with my tools and knowledge myself.

Never had any issues with it mechanically in terms of engine, Oil replaced every 5k miles or so.
Though currently the CEL is on due to P0421. I will need to get my Cat replaced and a reflash of my ECU.
The cat/header I plan to do myself, but I'm not sure about the ECU flash procedure. There was a recall for this at some point, but I missed it since I was out in college.
Shop told me I can essentially not worry about this for awhile.

There is also a leak in the rear strut. I've been told its not a major issue for now. Since I would be getting a new suspension anyway I'm not too upset by this.

Goal
My current goal is to improve handling and add 20-30HP. I'm actually pretty happy with the power now, but it would be nice to be able to get a little better pull out of corners.

I want to keep it NA for now. I will explore the possibilities of a turbo once my experience improves.
Not sure if I'll want the turbo though, I get good fun out of this car even with the low power. My new car also has a turbo, so I can always drive that for that experience. I don't want too much extra power, so I'd like to stay NA.

It would be nice to have: A NA Japanese Car and a Turbo German Car, then I'd really only need to look into a supercharged American car... One can dream right?

I've been reading the following turbo threads:
Green_Bandits guide
03lanceres build

I read that the 4g94 doesn't scale that well with NA mods... especially with the auto, but should I be able to get 20-30HP? I have included the mods I want to do below.

An engine swap would probably be a bit outside my range of expertise, and it would probably be a bit more than I'd want to spend. That being said I don't really know what the price is like these days.

I searched and found a few topics on NA lancers, and it didn't seem to get much of a response from more mods once you get the CAI/Exhaust/Headers/ECU Piggyback. Though I could use someones clarification on this if anyone has experience.

The End Goals of This Project
Fix up a car that has done well by me
Learn some stuff & have some fun.
Acquire a stable second car that can be dailied if necessary. This means no crazy weight reduction stuff, like removing back seat/dash.
Improve handling.
Achieve a slightly better Power/Weight Ratio.

Given a 2690 curb weight and 120hp stock = 2690/120 = 22.41
It would be nice to achieve a 19, for this id need 21-22HP if weight stays constant.
If this could go down to 18 it would be nicer, but that's 30HP needed at constant weight.
A 2014 NA Mini is getting 19.44(2003 was 21.94) these days. The weights of the cars are actually quite similar.
Have something different to drive and to mess around with on trackday/perf driving class.
Have a more unique car to play with, think rally/track inspired road car.

Parts Ideas
I looked at a few sites to see what is out there, mostly RRM, and have compiled a rough list:
Step 1: Get Bushings/Powersteering line fixed
Step 2: Suspension
Tein S-Lowering Springs 260$
http://roadracemotorsports.com/store...roducts_id=633
Struts 430$
http://roadracemotorsports.com/store...products_id=40

I have read that I should also consider coilovers(850$?). I am fine spending extra for them, but I'm not sure which ones to consider.
Step 3: Fix Catalytic Conveter
Step 4:
Step 5:
Step 6:
Front/Rear sway bars
At this point I feel like I would have basic mods taken care on and a decent platform to do some engine improvements.

These are the improvements I'm thinking of starting with:
Flywheel 480$
http://roadracemotorsports.com/store...products_id=13
Pulley 170$
http://roadracemotorsports.com/store...&products_id=8
Mounts 190$
http://roadracemotorsports.com/store...products_id=14
Cam Shaft and Pistons? I haven't done much research on these. Still pending.
New throttle body?
I have read it is possible to do a DOCH swap with a 93e head. I hear parts are a bit pricy/difficult to get, but has anyone done this? I'm not sure if this will be worth it for me, I don't think it would be initially, but it would be nice to have an option down the line.

Here are some current pics of the car:
Starting a Lancer 2003 ES Project-u9esrwp.jpg
Name:  kERZgDY.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  57.3 KB

This is the biggest body damage: https://i.imgur.com/kaOuX1h.jpg located between driver side doors.

If everything goes well with the mods, I will also look to add a CF Evo 8 spoiler and a CF hood/trunk. Maybe some interior, but that is way more far down the line, I think given my experience the list above will keep me busy for a bit.

Questions
So what do you guys think? I feel the prices I have listed are the worst case price, as I haven't shopped around for better prices/other parts yet.

Do you guys think I can see a 20-30HP increase with these mods?

I am reading the turbo threads as well, but I don't see why I can't start with this smaller project and add a turbo once it is stable, the only thing on the list I'd need to swap for turbo would be the headers?

About the P0421 thing, has anyone gotten it fixed at their dealer lately, even though their car is out of warranty? I'll ask my shop about it when I take it in, but I would like to know if anyone here has had recent experience.

Also being realistic:
Couldn't I spend 1500$ or so to the shop to get it fixed up a bit, minus suspension/cat converter and probably sell it for 3500-4000$? I see 03 lancers in my area going for 3500$ for 140k miles. Mine has some body damage but 46k miles on a motor with new belts should be worth something?

With this I could buy something more "suited" to the purpose like a Miata or wait and throw in more for an Integra Type R if I wanted to stay FWD, but for 5-6k(8-9k for Integra) I'd probably be looking at something with 120-140k miles, which will probably need as much work fixing up as the Mitsubishi. Which at that point id rather do the Lancer.

I don't mind the FWD of the Lancer, it's a different kind of fun. The auto transmission could be a manual, but this cars auto feels pretty good. I enjoy driving it just as much as my new BMW.

Thanks guys, looking forward to learning more and participating in the community. Trying to collect information before so I know what I'm getting into since if I go for this it will be a car I will keep for awhile. I've always wanted to do a car project, want to make sure I'm making ok choices.

I also posted this in engine tech for the 02-07, not sure where its more appropriate.

Last edited by zztt; Apr 11, 2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:05 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Hi and welcome! Great introduction and I moved you thread here for better exposure.

Bob
Old Apr 11, 2014, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

You can't use the flywheel, that's for a manual car .
Old Apr 11, 2014, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Broke4speed
You can't use the flywheel, that's for a manual car .
That's what I thought too, but it has a option for the auto on the website?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

Autos don't have flywheels, they have flexplates and torque converters. The website is probably a generic template w/generic dropdowns, or they overlooked it.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 02:27 PM

Ah I see, thanks. I'll edit accordingly.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 06:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you can get the K&N intake cheaper than the one you listed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150685872041...84.m1423.l2649