Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

1998 Lancer GLX stock- needs a refresh

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1998 Lancer GLX stock- needs a refresh

Hey guys, my name is Walid and I currently own a 1998 FWD lancer, manual, with the 4G15 SOHC (carb engine) and it makes maybe 80hp at best in its current state (with wear and tear and years of use, of course, this is normal if not even worse). This baby has been in the family since it was bought day from the Mitsubishi dealership in Casablanca, Morocco, and I feel like it is owed to be given a bit of a new life. Car culture is not a big deal yet in Morocco sadly :/ so no one understands why I like the car so much. For me, that car has got that classic JDM look of the era I have always loved and I want to give this little baby a bit of a freshen up. In its current state, it is 100% stock parts.

By a bit of a freshen up, I mean new wheels, tires, brakes, suspension (something that would make it stops leaning like an unbalanced ship every time you take a corner going 40kph but also something that we would all like to drive every day to pick up your elderly parents/GF/people who care about their spines), new front, and rear bumpers, an exhaust to make it sounds nice and sporty (something like Sportauspuff Abgasanlage Exhaust Sound on youtube ) add a turbo and a blow off valve . I would be glad about bringing the power up to 150-200hp. A new steering wheel if anyone has any recommendations on those? The stock wheel looks nice but it's just too large and there's so much play in the steering sometimes it feels like I'm gonna hit my jewels if you know what I mean.

For the brakes I do not know if it is only because of the tyres that are worn out ( i will be changing them next week Monday) but if it's raining and I have to apply more than 60% braking the wheels lock up.

I also heard that if you were going to add a turbo that it's better for the long term to do a conversion from SOHC carb to DOHC injection, do you guys think its recommended and a good idea or do you think that it's a waste of money and time. I would hope for this car to spend at least another 20 years alive and honestly seeing the new cars that are coming out I am more and more convinced that I do not want anything to do with that.

I am still very new to the whole tuning and upgrading experience (i'm sure you undertsand how frusterating this is) and would take any recommendations you guys have.
Thank you all for reading and for your time.
Here are some pictures of the vehicle, sorry for the exposure and the car is a little dirty if you guys want better pictures I'll get it cleaned and get better pictures in better lighting.