Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Noobs are everywhere (another noob question)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2004, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noobs are everywhere (another noob question)

Alright, first off this is my first post in this forum so dont hate me too much.

I'm a new 2004 Lancer OZ Rally Edition (manual 2.0L) owner and I want to make a few modifications to it but here is my goal. I dont really need more top end speed because I have no reason to go 200mph or even 150... i've done 115 and it was awesome but still way too fast for me. I just want some faster accelleration... you know some extra umph.

I want to keep it as economical as possible, i'd like to not void any of my precious warranties, and I would love to leave my beautiful gas mileage intact.

I'm thinking this... (how much of an increase should these give?)

Add a CAI (what is the difference in a CAI and SRI?)

Replace the stock exaughst with a catback twin exaughst. (i dont want my car to be loud though... i hate that sound)

And i've heard something about chips to put in the engine that supposedly add extra hp w/o really any modification. (let me know if anyone has any clue about that)

Also, I was stupid and got the OZ rally instead of the Ralliart so I have drum breaks on the rear, is their a conversion kit of some sort? I would love to have full disc, just for the extra stop.

What about a Rear Stabilizer bar?

Anyways, I'm a noob when it comes to cars but i'm also a very quick learner.

Any help or insight would be awesome.

Thanks
Z
Old Sep 21, 2004, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Any of the things that you want to do to your car will void the warranty. Any modification to OEM equipment is seen as tampering and will therefore void your warranty.

A CAI is a longer reaching intake so that the filter sits closer to the ground where the cold air is.

Any exhaust is going to make your car louder...different brands will be different Db levels. Find an exhaust with a sliencer tip if noise is a prob.

Not sure about the brakes...maybe you could find out more about swapping Ralliart brakes to it or looking into a big brake conversion.

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 12:43 PM

so a CAI is better than a SRI? Also, are you certain a CAI will void the warranty? I've read in multiple places that the installation of one is perfectly acceptable and will not void your warranty. Could have been misstated, or i misread/understood it.

How much of an increase would a Cold Air Intake provide? any round of about figures?
Old Sep 21, 2004, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

not real sure about the gains...5-7 hp? Throttle response will depend on your air intake. CAI is good for Wide open throttle but the SRI is good for throttle response. You would probably want to go with a SRI if you plan on around the town driving rather than high speed driving.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

cold air intake maybe 3-5 whp
Old Sep 21, 2004, 12:54 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Your warrinty cannot be revoked for a CAI or an exhaust. Mitsubishi will not warrinty the aftermarket parts you put on but that is all. If there is no cause that your mod caused something else to fail then they will not warrinty that part. ie. if you get hydrolock with a CAI. They will not void your (for example) transmission warrinty for installing a CAI and Exhaust.

Most people belive that the AEM CAI is the best intake for the car. I had It and I beg to differ. If you go to the AEM website and look at their dyno sheet and then go to the K&N website and look at their dyno sheet you will find that the K&N is bettr overall performance for the car. The CAI does look better when you open the hood and is a bit quiter but not by much and the whole purpose is go not show.

My $.02
Old Sep 21, 2004, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Danno
My $.02
Its worth more than that. Thanks!

Any suggestions on an exaughst? Are their any that require little to no modification? i dont want to cut my bumper or anything, and also i really do not want my car sounding like a f#$%ing chainsaw if i jump at a green light. Its just personal preference. I like the Look of a twin exaughst but its certainly not a requiremnt.

I love you guys...
Old Sep 21, 2004, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

I'd recommend a Magnaflow catback...it's not a dual catback, but it is well built and fit's nicely in the exhaust opening in the rear bumper (whereas duals would not). It isn't "stock" quiet, but it isn't ricey by any means. It gives you a deeper, more aggresive sound. Look around on here...you'll see several threads about Magnaflow.

We love you too Zach...
Old Sep 21, 2004, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

You can buy them through RRM or Performance Peddler (<cheaper) just to name a couple of places. PP was selling them for $305-$320 recently.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 01:24 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

It depends on where you live. If your in Canada I can hook you up with a great deal on an exhaust. If you are in the states then you best bet would be Greddy or Magnaflow. If you want to drive here to get it I can get you a deal. I won't ship to the states though.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 01:29 PM

I don't see a mangaflow catback on the website for an '04 lancer? will the '03 work just the same?
Old Sep 21, 2004, 01:31 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

You may have to look under "RalliArt" I dont know how that works with the 04+'s
Old Sep 21, 2004, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Ahhhh crap...I didn't notice the '04 part. ~Sorry~. Anybody else out there know if Magnaflow has an '04 friendly catback?
Old Sep 21, 2004, 03:23 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Ya the 04+ non ralliarts are some sort of weird ralliart 02-03 hybrid. They have the 2.0L but teh body of the ralli art. Iam 90% sure that any rally art exhaust mounts to the 04 es-oz but Iam not positive. Check the rally art forums to be sure.