Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

air intake bracket..

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2006, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for all you guys with the filter mounted behind the battery, wouldn't it be more efficient to mount the filter between the head of the engine and the battery. Since there is enough room for most filters to fit there, and air flows to that area better through the grill, and an add-on heat shield won't hurt much either. That's the way I have it mounted (see first pic), minus the heat shield, so I was just seeing if there was a reason as to why others mounted them differently.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

I did mine like that because the intake was moving too much when I had it in the same position tha you do. The Bracket wasn't strong enough to keep it steady. So the position I have it in is the most stable. But I'm sure your position is better.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

that spot is good, but the filter sucks air, so if the air is getting into the engine bay, the intake is sucking it in. I figured if it was behind the battery it would be farther from the heat. But Yeah I also did a custom heat shield and incorporated the stock intake duct into the shield. I doubt any of these positions or heat shields make even half of a HP difference but I figured it would be nice to make a heat shield for the duct.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...6_127_full.jpg
Old Jun 27, 2006, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Renyulb28
for all you guys with the filter mounted behind the battery, wouldn't it be more efficient to mount the filter between the head of the engine and the battery. Since there is enough room for most filters to fit there, and air flows to that area better through the grill, and an add-on heat shield won't hurt much either. That's the way I have it mounted (see first pic), minus the heat shield, so I was just seeing if there was a reason as to why others mounted them differently.
Thats how mine is mounted..in between the battery and the engine...better airflow..seems like the bracket isnt doing the best job of keeping the intake steady...may come up with something new this coming weekend to keep 'er from moving around too much.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 12:26 AM
Evolving Member

i ziptied my intake to my brake booster lines....... it didnt come with a bracket lol
Old Jul 16, 2006, 12:51 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well i got an intake finnally.
and to hold in in place i zip tied it to that metal tube coming from the Power Steering Fluid container thingy.
seems to hold pretty well. although if anyone has a step by step on making a decent intake bracket, that might be a good idea.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

it all depends on the intake you get and where that kit puts the filter. I guess the best way to make your own would be to go to home depot or something, buy one of those pieces of metal that are flat and like 1" wide and maybe 10" long (however long you need it) with the holes all the way down it, then put one hole screwed to your intake then find somewhere in the engine bay to mount it and bent the metal to reach there. Easy right?
Old Jul 16, 2006, 06:52 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeh i will have a bash at it sometime,. i gotta wait for my car to get back from the shop.
im also gonna make my own heat shield, and buy a hood duct, i think i will have that installed at a body shop though.