Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

**Alternator Install**

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2009, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dmoney1988
Yea and everytime it hits my head lights flicker. It is a very faint flicker and it is only noticeable if I concentrate on it. And thats when the car is on. If I have the car off, my inside lights flicker like if my car were a night club. LOL

BTW, Im running an 800 watt pioneer monoblock with a 10" type E Alpine. Suprisingly enough, it BUMPS!!!!
If you cant find a high output alternator get yourself a powercap that should solve your light flicker it basically stores extra power and your amp will draw from it when your subs hit instead of drawing from your alt.
Old May 27, 2010, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So im trying to upgrade the big three on my 02 OZ rally. Im getting stumped here because everywhere I read it says to upgrade alternator to engine ground, battery to chasis ground, and alternator power to battery. I cant find out what any of the 2 existing wires do. Can someone please tell me what exhibits 1 and 2 are.
I stole the O.P.s picture for reference.
Attached Thumbnails **Alternator Install**-img005.jpg  
Old Jul 3, 2010, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternator Change Broken auto tensioner

Hello All,

I changed my alternator and belt as follows.

turn the auto tensioner anticlockwise and put a screw driver or allen key when too holes allign. to lock it. like others suggest.

1. remove wheel.
2 remove plastic side guard in wheel well. this will expose auto tensioner and some pulleys.
3. remove filler tank for brake fluid. This allows me to pull the alternator from the top.
4.Remove electrical cables and bolts holding alternator. pull alternator up.

For the belt.
Keep auto tensioner locked.
1.start from alternator side and then to the power steering pulley. You can then pull from below fitting it in place. i found it easier to slide it over none grooved pulleys (water pump) last.

Bleed your brakes after everthing is done.

My main issue was that the auto tensioner was broken. Here is how i handled this.

Normally, you can use a 1/2 inch power handle or breaker bar to turn the auto tensioner. Where the breaker bar fits was broken on the auto tensioner.

i used a Socket and extension on the crank pulley and a spring compressor(in this case, reversing and opening.
See pictures for illustration
Attached Thumbnails **Alternator Install**-img00065-20100624-1145.jpg   **Alternator Install**-img00066-20100624-1146.jpg   **Alternator Install**-img00067-20100624-1146.jpg