Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

RRM Intake Sound

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2007, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RRM Intake Sound

So I finally got some extra cash to buy the short ram intake from RRM and installed it on Monday. I followed the install walk-through in here to the letter, and everything is working fine, but I wanted to ask any other people who have it installed if they have a very dramatic change in sound from the engine. It's not really noticeable in first gear but as soon as I hit second it sounds like a bear growling under the hood! I kind of like it but since I don't have the exhaust yet I am just wondering if the sound is normal or not. Any info would be much appreciated!
Old Dec 26, 2007, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
100% normal
Old Dec 26, 2007, 09:18 PM

ya thats how it sounds like. i stopped by RRM today and picked up an intake and installed it.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 09:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well its pretty loud cause the short ram end ends up pointed right towards the firewall between the engine bay and cabin. you could use a box shield / heat shield to muffle the sound. if you think its just to loud.

I personally like the SRI in general, a CAI will be quieter, well it should be
Old Dec 26, 2007, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

i like loud! but im thinking of not getting it after hearing about how much torque it kills
Old Dec 27, 2007, 05:43 AM
Evolving Member

On my way into work this morning my Service Engine Soon light came on. Would the intake cause that? It's been on for three days without any problems at all until now. Anyone else have that problem? And if so how did you fix it?
Old Dec 27, 2007, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

pull the code, it will tell you exactly what the problem is--or at least give you a really good place to start.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

What do you mean by "Pull the code"?
Old Dec 27, 2007, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

go to autozone and ask them to read the code/buy your own code reader. i bought my code reader for $99 and i am everyone's best friend when they have car trouble. i've used it myself more than i would have liked to but it's an awesome tool to own.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

That makes sense. Too bad you're not in AZ or I might hit you up for that read. lol.
Do you know how much Autozone charges for that?
Old Dec 27, 2007, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

they shouldn't charge you anything, and they take the unit inside the store to print up a slip with your code(s) on it. they do this so that if someone jacks the code reader they can't use it.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

Has anyone who installed the SRI had any probelms with the Service Engine Soon light coming on? Mine came on and my dealership said it's because the car is "running too lean" according to the code they pulled. I tried using some high temp silicone to make a gasket for a better seal around the MAF but that hasn't helped. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old Jan 24, 2008, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

i have the rrm intake for more than 6 months now, no problems whatsoever. im really liking em.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

I have had mine for about 5 months and had no problems. Disconnect your battery and MAF sensor for 15 mins and then plug everything back, this may help. It will reset everything (including radio presets and bluetooth settings).
Old Jan 24, 2008, 03:58 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by empire4vr
Has anyone who installed the SRI had any probelms with the Service Engine Soon light coming on? Mine came on and my dealership said it's because the car is "running too lean" according to the code they pulled. I tried using some high temp silicone to make a gasket for a better seal around the MAF but that hasn't helped. Anyone have any suggestions?
i'll sell you mine LOL its perfect.. im getting rid of it b/c im getting the works drop in filter..

Quick Reply: RRM Intake Sound