Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Why should I buy an '09 Lancer GTS?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2008, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why should I buy an '09 Lancer GTS?

Hey guys, so here's a little back story. I currently own a 2000 VW GTI VR6 with about 90k miles. I love my car. I love the way it handles. I just can't afford to keep repairing it, as I am in college. Because I'm in college, my budget is <20,000. I've narrowed my choices for a new car to two:
-2009 Impreza 2.5i (with the premium package)
-2009 Lancer GTS

I need your help with that decision. I know you're biased, but that's why I came here. I want you guys to tell me why I should buy a Lancer. It's really a tie in my mind between the two. Assume prices and interior features are the same (which they're not but that's not a huge selling point). I'm interested in engine performance, handling and aftermarket availability. I REALLY appreciate you guys' help with this. Who knows, maybe I'll be posting pictures of my new Lancer by the end of the month .

~Mike
Old Jul 19, 2008, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

test drive them, i was lookin to get a 08 wrx, payments were way to high so they let me test drive the 2.5i it sucked *****, the wrx felt better. mits gave me the better deal with what i wanted so thats why im with the lancer again
Old Jul 19, 2008, 07:32 PM

Well the payments aren't an issue, both the lancer and the impreza are pretty much the same, and very much in my budget. I test drove both and both had their pluses. For instance, the Impreza's AWD was very good through a turn that I took a little too fast :P. The Lancer had a much better clutch feel and throw distance. Looks wise there's no competition. Lancer. Hands down, but that's not enough. Who here has had any problems with the 09 lancer? How's the upgraded 2.4L? It didn't feel like there was much power, whereas the Impraza had more perceptable power. Both have the same bhp. Any input would be great guys!

thanks
Old Jul 19, 2008, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
AWD is nice to have in snow & you live in NJ.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 07:40 PM

I go to school in Indiana :P, it snows in April...it's screwed up. Either way, the Lancer has better interior / exterior styling. I'm more torn on engine performance and handling
Old Jul 19, 2008, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by reismj
I go to school in Indiana :P, it snows in April...it's screwed up. Either way, the Lancer has better interior / exterior styling. I'm more torn on engine performance and handling
judging that your in college you prolly wont have the money to upgrade perfomance or handling...hate to say it but i would go with the AWD if that was what felt better to ya....IMO
Old Jul 19, 2008, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

keeping your Vee Dub would be the cheapest option assuming you own it clean and clear
Old Jul 20, 2008, 08:44 AM

I've done the math and keeping my car dub (including repairs) would cost more per year then it would to pay the monthly payments on a new car. I liked the driving style of the Lancer for sure, and I liked the AWD from the Impreza...I need a tie breaker from someone who knows something about the Lancer that I don't know :P
Old Jul 20, 2008, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

you should wait one more month and get the Lancer GTS with the Touring Package as well. That gives u traction control, xenon projector headlights, and rain sensing wipers!

the lancer is the best bang for the buck and it looks a million times better then the subi
Old Jul 20, 2008, 10:07 AM

That's not a bad idea. It's hard as hell finding a manual GTS though as it is though, not sure if waiting a month or so for this package will be worth it. I will not drive an automatic, and definitely not a CVT XD
Old Jul 20, 2008, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by reismj
engine performance, handling and aftermarket availability.
~Mike
You answerd your own question.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

the CVT isnt that bad, its pretty fun
Old Jul 20, 2008, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by eyekyu
the CVT isnt that bad, its pretty fun
Agreed. I went in looking for a Manual GTS (impossible to find) and so I reluctantly went with the CVT and I have to say I do not regret my choice at all.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

GET A MANUAL, plus if they are harder to get they will hold value better
Old Jul 21, 2008, 04:37 AM
Evolved Member

If you do some more research, you can get your dealer to do a trade with another one that has the manual. Last I went to my dealer, I saw 2 GTSs with all the options on them that were manual. Def better to wait for somethin you want then to give in and get something else.

I've also taken my buddy's impreza for a drive, I didn't like the way it accelerated, especially since it has 30 more hp than my lancer and I can still keep up with it. It seems like Subaru is downgrading their car line even further to make it more of a family sedan where the GTS is advertised to be sportier.

Quick Reply: Why should I buy an '09 Lancer GTS?