Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Question regarding ES to EVO 8 GSR cluster swap

Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question regarding ES to EVO 8 GSR cluster swap

Anyone whos read 'Looking for help regarding my gauge cluster' pretty much knows the history of my story. Well, I finally got a new cluster as the ES one the stealership stuck me with after taking my OZ one sucked. Got it off ebay for 130.00

Name:  102_1224.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  32.8 KB

I have but 3 concerns;
1, is this gauge suppose to light up when the car is turned over? The gauge lights up regardless of if i have my headlights on or not.
2, my oil light and check engine light don't come on when i first turn the key, are they suppose too?
3, my SRS and ANTI LOCK light stay on even after the car is turned over. Is this unaviodable due to me putting this in a 03 lancer or am i missing something??

Thanks so much for any help/advice.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

1. Yes
2. No EDIT: yes
3. Yes they stay on once the car has started but they should turn off after a few seconds or so. When you're regularly driving you shouldn't have any of the attention/warning lights on all the time.

Are there any features on the cluster that aren't on your car?

Last edited by AndyCT9W; Aug 13, 2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by AndyCT9A
1. Yes
2. No
3. Yes they stay on once the car has started but they should turn off after a few seconds or so. When you're regularly driving you shouldn't have any of the attention/warning lights on all the time.

Are there any features on the cluster that aren't on your car?

Thanks for the quick responce.
Ok, so my lights are suppose to stay one. That's one worry down.
So my Check Engine light shouldn't turn on when i first turn the key to the stand by position, or whatever it's called when you turn the key part way so your radio and everything come on but the car doesn't actually turn over. Rason i'm asking this is because my old cluster used to do that and I've heard that i can fail my emissions test on the KOEO part of it if my check engine light doesn't come on.
And ingards to my SRS and ANTI LOCK lights, Not that I can see or are aware of. I heard somewhere that i might need to take it to a dealership and have them reset it. I've tried unhooking the neg side of the battery to reset it. But they still come on and stay on.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

For future reference your key can be in four positions

1 off (self explanatory)
2 accessories (radio)
3 on (all the features of your car available, dash lights up)
4 start (to engage starter motor, then key will turn back to on after it has started).

I'll just let you know my car is JDM IX and your USDM VIII cluster might work differently.

Sorry I just checked (had to get get out of bed, it's like 9am Sunday here, lol) oil light and the check engine light do come on before the car starts. So I'll have to change my answer to 2 to yes.

It does sound like there is a compatibility issue with your dash and the car. The anti lock, srs, etc sensors are likely to be set up differently in an evo.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by AndyCT9A
For future reference your key can be in four positions

1 off (self explanatory)
2 accessories (radio)
3 on (all the features of your car available, dash lights up)
4 start (to engage starter motor, then key will turn back to on after it has started).

I'll just let you know my car is JDM IX and your USDM VIII cluster might work differently.

Sorry I just checked (had to get get out of bed, it's like 9am Sunday here, lol) oil light and the check engine light do come on before the car starts. So I'll have to change my answer to 2 to yes.

It does sound like there is a compatibility issue with your dash and the car. The anti lock, srs, etc sensors are likely to be set up differently in an evo.
Hm.....Looks like i'll need to save my old ES cluster for when it's emissions time then so i can pass.
I'll have to see tho if it's even safe for me to use this cluster in my lancer. Thanks tho for all the assistance.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

NP. Use a gps to check if the speedo is accurate and then compare relative speeds and rpm to see if the rpm is accurate. The fuel and temp should be pretty easy to see how accurate they are. Keep in mind any miles you do are stored in the cluster so if you're clocking miles in your evo cluster, when you put the es one back in, the mileage will be the same as when you last swapped it out.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 04:02 PM

Yea, think my biggest concern is if it's safe to drive it like this and passing emissions, which i think i can get around that by swapping my es cluster back in a few weeks prior to taking it to have it done.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 07:33 PM

Ok, so i've been reading alot of the fourms on here and apperently i might have messed up the SRS thing when i unhooked the cluster without disconnecting the battery.
Would changing the gauge cluster without disconnecting the batttery cause the SRS to fail?? If so then it looks like i'll have to take the car to a dealership and pay them to reset the SRS.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Possibly, I've done cluster swaps in older lancers (96-99) and haven't had any issues. Might be different for newer models and USDM.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 08:19 PM

M'ok. I'll have to keep digging then as i'm not to sure on if this will work or not. From what information i've been able to gather up, the ABS light is a regulare problem when swapping from es to evo cluster. So i'll more then likely just unhook that light. The SRS i'm guessing came in because when i changed the clusters i didn't unhook the battery so i might have thrown something and need to have my SRS reset at a dealership. And still checking on the whole check engine light situation. We'll see if the light comes on or not in a few days. I might just have to swap the ES cluster back in when it's time for emissions and just keep the evo in it all other times. We'll see based on what information i can gather up.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 01:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
chk ur pm for some pointers on the cluster issue.. here is breiflywhat will happen on the swap

1] the antilock light/abs light is a known issue doing the swap from a evo8/9 to a es/ls/oz/ralliart from model years 2002-2006.
its expectin somthin from the evo cluster is not present in a base lancer/ralliart ecu..thus the light comes on. the solution
is to remove the bulb from the back side of the cluster. if u really had a evo and the abs light was on u woulld be in a world of hurt

i know my abs is working just fine cause it helpd me on sev occasions were idiots
near sdsu cant drive worth ---- lol so not having the abs light on doesnt bother me

2] another light that may come on is the intercooler sprayer light, it lights up green on the cluster, and is located in the far
right of the cluster where the lancer guage is at... when mine came on , i took the bulb out to get rid of the light..
tht one is a false reading and safe to remove

i had my cluster installed at 59k mark and change and now i have 75k on my engine and have no issues with the cluster.
some may remember, i waited almost 3k miles before i installed mine so the evo clusters odm was exactly matched to my
oz clusters milage. installed mine at night as i got of work late. and yes i kept track so i wouldnt go over lol

as for the smogg/inspection, just make sure u dont have any cel codes or u will not pass...
so if u are throwing a code or w/e take care of it before u take it into smogg/inspection

Last edited by OZR_Lancer; Aug 15, 2011 at 01:27 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 04:20 AM

Yea, passing emission is my major concern. But i'm pretty sure this evo cluster won't pass emissions due to the KOEO part of the test. My check engine light doesn't come on when i first start up the car and i know that if my check engine light doesn't come on at first i will fail the test as i've had this happen before. so i'm thinking either i have to use the ES cluster for emissions or take it to the stealership again and see if they can figure out why my check engine light isn't coming on.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 04:24 AM

Thanks to OZR and everyone else on this site. you's have been extremely helpful.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Avirex
Thanks to OZR and everyone else on this site. you's have been extremely helpful.
possibly a bad cluster bulb, chk ur pm... move the bulb from the abs to the cel/service engine light behind the cluster and see if it lights up.. all the bulbs r the same on the cluster

*EDIT*
its super easy, pull the cluster off and flip it around. the cluster bulb base is black and twists off easy. its kinda like a tail light bulb where it goes in one way and twist to lock

Last edited by OZR_Lancer; Aug 15, 2011 at 05:16 PM. Reason: added inst to remov clstr bulb
Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:29 PM

hey what year is this cluster???....i have been trying to find an EVO cluster for my ES.....
Originally Posted by Avirex
Anyone whos read 'Looking for help regarding my gauge cluster' pretty much knows the history of my story. Well, I finally got a new cluster as the ES one the stealership stuck me with after taking my OZ one sucked. Got it off ebay for 130.00

I have but 3 concerns;
1, is this gauge suppose to light up when the car is turned over? The gauge lights up regardless of if i have my headlights on or not.
2, my oil light and check engine light don't come on when i first turn the key, are they suppose too?
3, my SRS and ANTI LOCK light stay on even after the car is turned over. Is this unaviodable due to me putting this in a 03 lancer or am i missing something??

Thanks so much for any help/advice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question regarding ES to EVO 8 GSR cluster swap