Notices
Lancer How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in in the Request sub-forum.

How to Hardwire Stock Radiator Fans

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2010, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How to Hardwire Stock Radiator Fans

Looking to see if anyone has any suggestions for how to eliminate the fan control module, as I can't get mine to actually turn my fans on anymore (unless I turn on the AC). I've replaced it, the coolant sensor, and sending unit. Nothing's getting it to work correctly, so I'm just looking to have someone walk me through what wires are what, and what I can eliminate and what I need to splice.

Any help would be appreciated. Even if you don't have pics, I'll make sure I take pics as I do the procedure and post everything back in this thread as a how-to.

Thanks for the help ahead of time!

Last edited by jwick76; Jul 2, 2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you say fan control relay, do you mean the part in the fuse box? Or the part attached to the fan? The fan control relay sends power to the fan control unit, which controls the speed of the a/c and engine fans based on a signal to the computer.
To make the fan turn on when the fan control relay gets power isn't too hard, it would just require jumping some wires at the fan control unit on the fan itself. so let me know what part you replaced, if it was the relay or the actual control module and we'll go from there.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

It was the actual control module on the back of the driver side fan. Sorry, heard it referred to as relay.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 01:03 PM

So assuming your new module doesn't have a problem, and we know the relay that sends power to it works, since you said the fans come on with the A/C, then it has to be an input problem to the computer, or the computer itself is bad (which is unlikely). According to the diagram, the inputs to the computer to turn the fan on or off are based on A/C input, engine coolant temp, and vehicle speed.
If you really want to splice the wires, the big blue wire going in to the control module is the power sent from the relay, and the big black wire is your ground. Now there may be other blue and black wires, but the diagram doesn't show the color of the wires going to the fans from the module.
Basically you'll need to send power to pin 1 on both connectors going to the fans, and ground to pin 2. If you disconnect the connectors for the fans and face them towards you, pin 1 should be on the left. If you choose the wrong one, the fan will spin backwards so make sure you check that.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Cool. Senate actually informed me about the fuse/relay deal, so I'm replacing that (waiting for the part). If that doesn't work for some reason (which you prob stated), I'm def hardwiring. I saw the blue and black wires, assumed blue was power. Now the third, larger connector that ties into the control module, has some extra smaller wires...I'm assuming I can prob just cap these off and not worry about them... SO I would just take that larger connector, cut off the ends, splice blue to blue and black to black.

Thanks for the help, I'll keep you posted if I end up hardwiring...
Old Aug 8, 2010, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

new relay doesn't work. I'll be hardwiring fans this thursday and I'll update this thread with pics
Old Mar 14, 2016, 12:44 AM

I had the same issue with my module. After researching and deciding that I wE not going to spend that kind of money on a part that was likely to fail again, I hardwired my fans. This was about 6 years ago. What I did is grabbed some oversized wire, 14 or 12ga wire. Crimped spades on what I thought was the negative, ran other wires to the positive on the battery and it worked.

Fast-forward to today, in the drive thru at McDonald's. Noticed the fans have t come on for a month or so. Not needed or noticed because of the cold. My original fix, with the spades, direct into the big grey connector..... The connectors contact had disintegrated over time. Corrosion and such.

After fighting with myself on what wire did what, I finally settled on the correct way. I cut the old plug, twisted the pairs and soldered the dog puss out of them. I need a hotter iron but, it's holding strong. I'd have pictures but, corrosion dust and general under the hood muck isn't getting anywhere near this lg g4.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 03:46 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
I actually want to know what I could do to restore my relay to its original function. I recently rebuilt the motor in my 2002 Lancer OZ Rally Edition and afterward had an issue where the fans just didn't turn on. Tried replacing the relay module, and that failed to fix the problem. I currently have one fan straightwired into the former supply wire for the relay and the other fan is on a relay controlling the power from supply to the fan with the trigger wired inline with the A/C compressor's pressure circuit, er, what I can best determine is that circuit. I am trying to find out what could have been done incorrectly on installation to cause the fans or fan relay not to work, and the setup is currently reversible. Anyone with any information is of help. I want to do this when I replace the radiator later this week. Thanks!

Last edited by CJBarker2; Jan 22, 2017 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Lack of information