Notices
Lancer How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in in the Request sub-forum.

How to install a radar detector and conceal the power wires

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2016, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to install a radar detector and conceal the power wires

Pics dont work! I have to move them over to a new host! I just needed to copy the info over before I lose that.

How to install a radar detector and conceal the power wires.

TOOLS;
Sharp small flat head
10mm socket and ratchet
Phillips screwdriver
Hanger from dry cleaners or picture wire
Extra wire for power.

End result, Radar detector located at the top of your windshield and the wires concealed.

Remove the sun visor screws and pull off the sunvisor.

Be careful while removing to make sure you pull from the backside so you don’t snap the front inserts.

Remove the surround from your sunroof, you only need to pull a little bit to have it slide off.

Remove this “bolt†by unscrewing and pulling it straight off, it’s not a real threading so most of its removal is from pulling it off.

Here is a pop tab that should have popped out, I removed it and inserted it back into the panel so when I completed the project I could press the panel back in. (it's supposed to attach to the panel like the photo below.

Here is another pop tab, just pull this panel out to gain access.

I used some picture hanger wire that I pushed in from the sunroof side to try to hook the wire from radar detector.

Here is the wire after I pulled it thru.

Now to remove the center pillar panel you need to use a 10mm socket to remove 2 bolts. One at the top,

And one at the bottom.

Once you remove the bolts you can then just pull on the panel to remove it.

I then ran the wire hook from the outside towards the sunroof to pull the wire to the other side.

I used this bolt to ground out the radar detector so I only needed to run one long wire for the power.

I Connected up an extension and wrapped it in electrical tape to protect it.

While assembling everything, Make sure that the rubber surround goes into the groove on the panel on the right in the photo.

I chose this outlet to source power from since it powers on when you start the car. I have an inline fuse to protect the radar detector.

ALL DONE! And complete!!
Hopefully the airbags never inflate because it's likely that the radar detector in that placement will hit me in the head.
And thankfully no ugly wires showing!