EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Lancer-Mirage Compatibility Forum (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-mirage-compatibility-forum-182/)
-   -   4G93 intake manifold installed (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-mirage-compatibility-forum/125135-4g93-intake-manifold-installed.html)

rhyzin Feb 27, 2005 06:11 AM

4G93 intake manifold installed

1 Attachment(s)
Just got done and it's 6:00am. I'll edit this post in the morning. Good night. . .

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/at...id=58057&stc=1

Sir Lancelot Feb 27, 2005 06:13 AM

:eek: ....did u just put a 4G93 stock intake manifold on our lancer.... :cool:

Sir Lancelot Feb 27, 2005 06:14 AM

:eek: ....did u just put a 4G93 stock intake manifold on our lancer engine.... :cool:

Iamkar33m Feb 27, 2005 09:51 AM

Yeah he did. What's the benefit of the 4g93 IM over the stock IM?

TPetsch Feb 27, 2005 09:56 AM

PoooFF! ...It's an EVO.

Shingen Feb 27, 2005 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by TPetsch
PoooFF! ...It's an EVO.

Wow, that all it take to turn our cars into an Evo? Wow... *choking on the sarcasim*

Fox

Iamkar33m Feb 27, 2005 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by TPetsch
PoooFF! ...It's an EVO.

Ummm last time i checked the evo engine is a 4g63t not a 4g93. 4g93 is found in the 3rd & 4th gen mirage I believe.

WADADLIG_OZ Feb 27, 2005 10:11 AM

Great job being the first Rhyzin.

I can't wait to find out the TEST results.

WADAD

TPetsch Feb 27, 2005 10:11 AM

Nothing gets past you!

WADADLIG_OZ Feb 27, 2005 10:14 AM

Tpetsch.

I am assuming you own an EVO...so please keep our NA tech talk on topic.

WADAD

GreenPsycho Feb 27, 2005 11:11 AM

i'd be interested how everything lined and bolted up (no other mods to the TB needed?) and of course the gains ;)

rhyzin Feb 27, 2005 11:29 AM

5 Attachment(s)
wow.... it took one bad apple...

anyways, it's a 4g93 1.8L mirage manifold.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/at...id=58082&stc=1

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/at...id=58084&stc=1

here's a little port matching to gasket.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/at...id=58085&stc=1

here's what it looks like in the plenum chamber(is plenum chamber redundant?). throttle body flange has been bored to 62mm to accept a 1G dsm throttle body.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/at...id=58083&stc=1

here's what it looks like with all the intake crap transferred over.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/at...id=58086&stc=1

here's what the stock g94 intake manifold looks like next to the ported g93.
___ ___ ___

okay, so the manifold bolts right up to the head. i didn't port the head or anything cuz i didn't feel like taking it off the engine. what you will have to do is fabricate a plate to mount the throttle body cable to. i just bent a plate into an "L" and drilled holes in it. you'll also need 2 extra stock short throttlebody bolts. the stock intake manifold came with 2 short bolts and 2 longs ones. you're gonna have to buy 2 short ones from the dealer to bolt the stock throttle body back on. you will need to buy a 3/8" hose coupler and maybe 10" of vacuum hose to connect the manifold to the brake booster.

so far i haven't driven it anywhere because my driveway is full of cars. i'm probably going to go take it out in an hour or so cuz i'm going to get a set of nuts and bolts that bite into the metal for the throttle cable bracket. you wouldn't want it coming loose while you're driving. well the worst that could happen is that you won't be able to floor it anymore.

so the gist of it all is that it'll bolt up and fire up. you need to fab a plate for the throttle cable bracket. you need 2 short throttle body bolts.

the big why?

- it was $60 shipped.

- $60 in in porting tools($20 ebay die grinder, $20 non-ferrous carbide burr, $10+ for sanding shank and sand paper rolls)

- my own labor for porting and install

- Dave(Mitsiman) at RPW said it flows better. I wouldn't doubt much from a guy who's been tuning the both the g93 and g94 since forever
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...=1#post1482474

= $120 (and maybe 3 days of work) for a ported intake manifold thats better than a stock ported manifold. kinda worth it for me compared to the price of a vendor manifold.

testing will be done later today.

1G DSM throttle body should come in on monday. if anyone wants to know, i got that for $52.10 and is bored to 60mm. throttlebody flange is ported to 62mm because the dsm throttlebody flutes out to 62mm again after the butterfly.

rhyzin Feb 27, 2005 11:45 AM

oh, if anyone is thinking of doing this, make sure you get an intake manifold from the mirages that have the engine facing the same way ours do. which, if i'm not mistaken, is the 5th gen mirages which are 97+. i am not sure if the 93-96 manifolds are faced the right way.

03RallyLancer Feb 27, 2005 12:14 PM

Nice job Rhyzin

rhyzin Feb 27, 2005 03:52 PM

after some tuning the fuel curve a bit, i have nothing but a silly grin on my face :D

i'm going to try and get some pda dyno numbers to see what kind of difference it made.

WADADLIG_OZ Feb 27, 2005 04:00 PM

Tonight?

Is it that much of a difference?

WADAD

RalliArtI4 Feb 27, 2005 04:53 PM

very original, can't wait to see the results! :headbang:

mcpcola Feb 27, 2005 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by rhyzin
after some tuning the fuel curve a bit, i have nothing but a silly grin on my face :D

i'm going to try and get some pda dyno numbers to see what kind of difference it made.

So i take it that this is worth the cost and a good power increase

rhyzin Feb 27, 2005 05:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
take these numbers with a grain of salt! these are pda dyno numbers fron an auterra web unit. i wouldn't take these as being close to real numbers. just a quantitative difference before and after.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/at...id=58117&stc=1

just cuz there's numbers in the pic doesn't mean that those are real gains. you can say it's just the magnitude of increase.

Boni Feb 27, 2005 05:43 PM

thats sick ..

Hotshot940 Feb 27, 2005 06:01 PM

boni, where in the f have you been???

GreenPsycho Feb 27, 2005 06:08 PM

well, engineerboy actually has an auterra pda dyno, then a few weeks ago he actually got his dyno'd on a dynojet i believe, and the numbers weren't that far off, maybe +/- 5hp

btw, how did you take a screenshot with your pda? i should be getting one in the mail soon, and i want to post results too :)

rhyzin Feb 27, 2005 06:55 PM

i know he dyno'd 111 hp, but i didn't know what he got with the pda dyno. i've dyno'd 130-134 hp before on the pda, then went and got on a real dyno and dyno'd 116. that was a bummer.

for the palm pilot emulator, go to http://www.palmos.com/dev/tools/emulator/ and get the software. you need a palm pilot for this to work because it makes a copy of your palm pilot ROM to run off of. you can then import to the emulator and "print screen". then you can just paste it to a paint program to make the right size and what not.

so far with what i'm seeing on this pda dyno, there's a WHOLE LOTTA torque opened up. i didn't really expect it with something that enlarged the intake tract.

Hotshot940 Feb 27, 2005 06:57 PM

id like to see these new numbers compared with some numbers of a RRM or similarly ported intake manifold.

WADADLIG_OZ Feb 27, 2005 07:44 PM

Maybe we can start a dyno fund.

We can all paypal you like $1 :lol:

WADAD.

KillahB Feb 27, 2005 09:15 PM

Rhyzin, nice work. I too am running a 4G93 intake manifold (though not by choice lol)... seems that it does flow much better. Strangely enough, I have heard that the MIVEC IMs are even better interms of flow characteristics. Unfortunately, the one MIVEC IM owner stateside that I know wants abotu 250 for his. Not happening.

Based on that dyno gain, that was a great mod for 60 bucks.... damn I need to dust off my spare IM and put it in the classified section.

Hotshot940 Feb 27, 2005 09:18 PM

we really need a comparison between stock IM, ported IM, ported g93, and ported mivec (if it will fit)

lookslikeanevo Feb 27, 2005 09:33 PM

kris im jealous as i have been wanting to do the same thing...maybe soon....with your help
:grin:

rhyzin Feb 27, 2005 09:36 PM

airquez: are you talking about a 4g92 mivec?

if i could get on a real dyno, that would make for some solid numbers to compare. unfortunately, there isn't one around here at all. maybe if SCLC held a dyno day, that would probably be my only outlet. :p

comparing would also be pretty difficult because of mods. looking at the dyno thread, i was only 1hp below boe when he was NA and he had a lot more stout mods than me when comparing my old dyno.

to find people with the same mods before getting an intake manifold is gonna be tough.

if there's people in the central coast or who goes to SCLC meets, i'd give em a pda dyno run so we'd have more variety in mods to compare apples to apples and sorta pick out which mods give what kind of improvement.

lookslikeanevo Feb 27, 2005 09:42 PM

^ya true not too many people have an safc

digdat Feb 27, 2005 09:50 PM

sweet. always interesting to see people expanding the horizons of our car. I'm damn suprised that engineerboy hasnt posted in here yet .. wont be long thou :P

twisty1251 Feb 28, 2005 12:20 AM

that is a definite difference. definitly good power for the $

lookslikeanevo Feb 28, 2005 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by rhyzin
airquez: are you talking about a 4g92 mivec?

if i could get on a real dyno, that would make for some solid numbers to compare. unfortunately, there isn't one around here at all. maybe if SCLC held a dyno day, that would probably be my only outlet. :p

comparing would also be pretty difficult because of mods. looking at the dyno thread, i was only 1hp below boe when he was NA and he had a lot more stout mods than me when comparing my old dyno.

to find people with the same mods before getting an intake manifold is gonna be tough.

if there's people in the central coast or who goes to SCLC meets, i'd give em a pda dyno run so we'd have more variety in mods to compare apples to apples and sorta pick out which mods give what kind of improvement.

sclc tried to hold a dyno day last year...it didnt work out

mr96gsx408 Feb 28, 2005 01:23 AM

*cough ahem
thanks mr96gsx408 with the install help

np kris...
your friendly neighborhood dsm'er. :)

lookslikeanevo Feb 28, 2005 01:25 AM

^lol....

rhyzin Feb 28, 2005 01:28 AM

lol. yes, thanks to my tool gimp mr96gsx408 :lol:

KillahB Feb 28, 2005 04:29 PM

Rhyzin: I am sorry, I was talking abotu the 4G92 MIVEC yes... still have to get around to realizing in the back of my mind that the 4G69 is now the MIVEC of choice.

Nonetheless, hurry up and get dynoed :P

Alchemist Mar 1, 2005 09:58 AM

Ask and ye shall receve :D Install looks really good Kris, and the auterra showing gains is good news too. I don't doubt the gains if you're in one of those magically perfect auterra dyno run areas every time :lol: PDA dyno WAS giving me as much as 135.... then I found a place that really meets all the criteria and was getting numbers like 109 and was like WTF?!? Of course, I got to use a real dyno less than a week later and got that 111WHP number, so I figure the auterra's close- at least it's enough to do these comparisons with.

And the only issues were: need to fab/MacGuyver a throttle cable plate and 2 of the TB bolts for a g94 are too long (sounds easy enough to rectify with a trip to the homedepot)?

Good work! {thumbup}

rhyzin Mar 1, 2005 12:23 PM

hey kris! it was weird. i dyno'd on the pda in 2nd gear and was getting 111-120hp. then when i did 3rd gear i get 134-141hp. that discrepency gives me doubt about accuracy and no way i'm gonna try 4th gear pulls around here. i figure it would make the numbers go even higher and would seem more out of whack.

grab youself an IM so we can compare numbers :p

new motor mounts are definately needed by now. not only do i feel the car rocking back and forth during shifting(attributed to my blown shocks as well), but i can also tell the engine is rocking back and forth A LOT. you can hear it in the revs as the sound oscillates as you start the next gear. i'm also getting clutch slip as i engage the next gear. 100k miles on this clutch. looks like i need to get a new one soon too.

i don't see how a 60mm throttlebody can be a good match up to a stock manifold. the neck of the stock manifold has a diameter of 62mm on the outside. unless you can bore it out so there's a 1mm thick wall, i only see the g94 becoming a slight restriction. honestly, it looks as if the runners inner diameter (ported) on the g94 are much larger than the g93. it's only problem is the plenum design and the skinny neck it has. if the g93 manifold had the same inner diameter of the g94, it would be much more badass...

anybody wanna buy a ported g94 IM to help me upgrade more stuff? :lol:

bahamut Mar 1, 2005 03:02 PM

Great work! I guessed you verified what RPW had done in your experiment. I always love verification of R&D work.

Your PDA dyno is giving you flywheel HP. Calculate for the 15% discrepancy.

Which TB are you working with? 92-94 DSM TB is the option to go, but no one has ever verified the TB off the Evo 8 (IMO, this is the best option since the vac hose would face the right way, unless Mitsu changed the TB cable facing the firewall like the 4g64 in the 3g eclipse).

I'll get DIM to look at this thread.

Note: 5g mirage from 97-02. From 97-99, G93 were in top line mirages in coupe or sedan. In 00, all sedans were 1.8 liter with cali spec tuning. The 4g mirage faces the way of DSM.

rhyzin Mar 1, 2005 04:58 PM

thanks bahamut! right now, i have the stock throttlebody on. i measured it with a caliper and it is 55mm for sure at the butterfly. for some reason, cruise control isn't working. but thats not really a concern. i'm sure i just don't have something hooked up right.

thanks for confirming the 5th gen mirage years, too. i wouldn't want people getting the 4g manifold.

an evo tb would have been great, but i doubt they'd be as cheap :p who wouldn't want one?

bahamut Mar 1, 2005 05:04 PM

As for the cruise control, Mitsu did change the cruise control housing. The lancer has a top hat thing while the mirage has a flat thing that can pass off as a car horn device. I don't know the voltage/Ohm or whatever is different between the two.

I don't know if the Evo's TB costed the same as the DSM or not . . . also, good chance that the sensors like ISC and TPS would be the same voltage as the mirage/lancer. You might want to prowl your guys "for sale" stuff.

erockOZ Mar 1, 2005 05:16 PM

it's great that this mod has finaly been done and verified to work. Now to start my shopping list...

KillahB Mar 1, 2005 05:45 PM

Bahamut, I might look into the Evo 8 TB mod, if I can find one. I dont know if they are the same 60mm but we will find out.

03RallyLancer Mar 1, 2005 09:00 PM

find a wrecked one and buy it... shouldnt be too hard... i see the parting out threads all the time.

blaze_125 Mar 2, 2005 07:20 AM

I saw the Mivec intake manifold come up a few times in this thread but still ain't sure. Do you say it would fit without benefits, or it wouldn't fit at all?

erockOZ Mar 2, 2005 11:56 AM

did you have to modify your air intake at all? Does this g93 line up like the g94 in terms of how far left/right everything is in the engine bay? Just ordered mine and am palning on doing this when it gets warm enough to stay outside for a bit.

rhyzin Mar 2, 2005 12:25 PM

the mivec one we're talking about is a version of mivec you can't find in the US. it flows better than the g93 and if you can get your hands on one, you're pretty lucky or you got gobs of money to ship overseas.

as far as the orientation of the manifold, the intake should fit just fine. if not, just fab something or get a short ram intake. the only thing stock about my intake right now is the stock rubber tube. i run a short ram and a larger airflow sensor. i'm pretty sure things are lined up to stock or close.

erockOZ Mar 2, 2005 12:30 PM

i've got the injen CAI so there some room to play around, i just wanted a heads up if it was real off so i could have some materials on had and not punch my car when i can't put it back together again :) Thanks, this thread has been alot of help

rhyzin Mar 2, 2005 01:51 PM

oh man. forgot one thing. you need like 10in of vacuum hose and a 3/8" hose coupler. it's to connect your brake booster to the intake manifold. the mounting on the manifold is further than stock. cut off any extra hose as necessary.

Alchemist Mar 2, 2005 02:11 PM

What size is the vacuum hose? 3/8"? Hose coupler is just an inline tube that we clamp down right?

I am sofa king we todd did :lol:

rhyzin Mar 2, 2005 02:25 PM

^yup yup... hehehe.

lookslikeanevo Mar 2, 2005 02:28 PM

^hey kris how about a "how to"...with pics?...lol...so i wont get lost

Alchemist Mar 2, 2005 02:39 PM

This shouldn't be any different than the 4g94 IM install.... except you need to fab the throttle cable retainer, get 2 more short bolts and this bit of hose....

Unless someone is hiding more info from us! :lol:

Why the coupler if we're getting so much hose? :dunno:

rhyzin Mar 2, 2005 03:09 PM

i dunno bout the hose. i used the coupler cuz the stock hose had kinks that looked nice. i actually don't know how much hose i used since i just cut a piece off 2 ft that i bought and didn't bother to measure it. you could use hose the whole way if you like.

i hope none of you have bought the 1g throttlebody yet. there's an issue with the tps. the 1g has 4 wires and the lancer has 3. i have to look into it. also one of the damn iac screws are stripped so i dunno how i'm going to transfer it over :dunno:

yeah, just use the IM install how to. i used engineerboy's write up for the install as well as the service manual.

rhyzin Mar 2, 2005 03:11 PM

me hide anything?!?!?! :eek: i wouldn't do that :p
{devil}

Alchemist Mar 2, 2005 03:18 PM

so you like your hose kinky?!?!?!?

{devil}

Did you get under the car for the lower bolts like I suggested, or are you a masochist and stay topside the entire time?

rhyzin Mar 2, 2005 03:20 PM

what? my hoes? kinky? :lol:

damn, i have my stock throttlebody out and i need to go to radioshack...

bahamut Mar 2, 2005 04:09 PM

http://67.15.109.176/phpBB2/viewtopi...=wire&start=25
explaination on the electrical swap (must have a mirage board account)

http://www.miragelinx.com/howto/air6.htm
Another 60mm TB swap

http://67.15.109.176/phpBB2/viewtopi...562&highlight=
60mm TB swap (must have a mirage board account)

You might want to contact "Torch" since he did all the electrical testing stuff for more info.

pgmike Mar 2, 2005 04:12 PM

sombich rhyzin, you beat me to it. took advantage that my car has been down all these months even tho i got the 93 mani 5 months ago lol. at least now i know i am not the guinea pig.

lookslikeanevo Mar 2, 2005 04:13 PM

so getting under the car to take some bolts off is what is recomended?...

lookslikeanevo Mar 2, 2005 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by bahamut
http://67.15.109.176/phpBB2/viewtopi...=wire&start=25
explaination on the electrical swap (must have a mirage board account)

http://www.miragelinx.com/howto/air6.htm
Another 60mm TB swap

http://67.15.109.176/phpBB2/viewtopi...562&highlight=
60mm TB swap (must have a mirage board account)

You might want to contact "Torch" since he did all the electrical testing stuff for more info.

baha- i thought that we were sposed to use the 1g throttle body(eclipse turbo)?...

Alchemist Mar 2, 2005 04:17 PM

unless you like crushing your hand between the runners :) I even go so far as to remove my downpipe most times just because it gives me more room to work under there.

lookslikeanevo Mar 2, 2005 04:20 PM

also if anyone want to help me dyno my car...i will do a before and after IM install.....since i only have a few mods this will give you a better idea of what the gains of IM are....so let me know if you guys can help pm me or soemething....sorry but i would love to pay for the dyno but that extra $120 i kinda need...

bahamut Mar 2, 2005 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by lookslikeanevo
baha- i thought that we were sposed to use the 1g throttle body(eclipse turbo)?...

Yes, there is a flurry of info. I'll have to clear this up a bit.

TB
1g
90-91 = a no go - different ISC, TPS, and vac line plumbing
92-94 whether turbo G63 or not will be 60mm.
Don't get anything from the 4g37 motor.

2g
95-99 = G63T = 52mm
Never get the 420A TB - vastly different stuff. I rarely look at them.
(correction)

3g eclipse
TB has the throttle cable facing the firewall and is 52mm according to the 3gClub guys.

rhyzin Mar 2, 2005 05:06 PM

here's the problem. i need to make an adapter harness from the stock wiring harness to the 1g sensor. not only are the plugs different between the 1g tps and lancer, but the tps themselves are different. once i took off both tps sensors, i was like wtf? :rant:

i just got home from radio shack and gonna try and make an adapter harness. the lancer does not require a throttle closed sensor so i'm hoping that i just have to make the 3 connections from the 1g tps. looking at wiring diagrams, this looks very possible.

rhyzin Mar 2, 2005 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by pgmike
sombich rhyzin, you beat me to it. took advantage that my car has been down all these months even tho i got the 93 mani 5 months ago lol. at least now i know i am not the guinea pig.

haha neener neener :lol:

KillahB Mar 2, 2005 05:46 PM

I just remembered that I have a spare IM sitting in my closet. Anyone wants it , please PM me. Probably like 50 bucks shipped (shameless for sale plug).

Bahamut got it right. The mirage guys managed to find a way to adapt the earlier 1st gen Eclipse TB with the 1st gen TPS to the mirage manifold without problems.

http://67.15.109.176/phpBB2/viewtopi...t=7105&start=0 (also need a mirage board account)

I am currently running the Eclipse 1G TB off of a 93 (I think) and a 2G Eclipse MAS, and I have no idle problems, and have been running this setup from since time began, at least for about 2 1/2 years. However, if you have the earlier TB, you might look into that mod.

Also to clarify what I was saying earlier, yes Rhyzin, you are correct about the 4G92 MIVEC IM. I saw one guy on the mirage board selling his for 275 bucks!!! Too rich for my cheap blood. But it does flow much better. If you can pick one up for cheap (or even the MIVEC 4G92 TB which is *reportedly* also 60mm) then more power to you.

lookslikeanevo Mar 3, 2005 12:29 AM

Yes, there is a flurry of info. I'll have to clear this up a bit.

TB
1g
90-91 = a no go - different ISC, TPS, and vac line plumbing
92-94 whether turbo G63 or not will be 60mm.
Don't get anything from the 4g37 motor.

2g
95-99 = G63T = 55mm
Never get the 420A TB - vastly different stuff. I rarely look at them.

3g eclipse
TB has the throttle cable facing the firewall and is 52mm according to the 3gClub guys.

so....look for a 92-96 turbo throttle body right?...are all the sensors gonna be the same...i dont really mind splicing wires and all that...but why not make it easier if everything connects....i think Kris got a 90-91 1g TB...but i dont remember right now....oh my IM should be here friday! yay...now i just need to learn how to port...lol

rhyzin Mar 3, 2005 12:40 AM

aargh, i might scrap the throttle body. things aren't working out. got the tps to work right. but i still got a high idle. cant be throttle closed sensor cuz we don't have one. not even built into our tps because there's only 3 wires connected to it and i see no switch in the circuit diagrams. probably a leak somewhere that i don't want to look for. wiring in itself sucks ass cuz you have to make wiring adapters for both the tps and iac. not really a worthwhile mod... grrrrrrr.... but i'll see if i can make it work at least....

i'm sure a mirage guy would want the throttle body in the end :p

lookslikeanevo Mar 3, 2005 12:44 AM

so no go on the TB...huh?

rhyzin Mar 3, 2005 12:51 AM

well i couldn't get the iac housing off the eclipse so i couldn't swap with the lancer one. the screws are on too tight. anybody have suggestions?

bahamut Mar 3, 2005 11:07 AM

so....look for a 92-96 turbo throttle body right?...are all the sensors gonna be the same...i dont really mind splicing wires and all that...but why not make it easier if everything connects....i think Kris got a 90-91 1g TB...but i dont remember right now....oh my IM should be here friday! yay...now i just need to learn how to port...lol

92-94 G63T or NA for 60mm.

Here's the article
====================
Here is how to swap a 60mm DSM turbo or NA throttle body onto your 4G while keeping idle control functionality.

You will need:

High temperature rubber coolant hose.
You will need thin sheet metal (I used a floppy shutter).
Some silicone sealant.
Patience.
A phillips head screwdriver.
12mm socket.
Scissors or tin snips.
Probably a new gasket for between the IAC and TB.
Die grinder or Dremmel and bits (for Aluminum)

You may need new bolts if the mounting depth of your new TB is different. I needed to get new ones because my home made adapter was so thick.

There are three steps 1 performing the TB coolent bypass, 2 porting the manifold, and 3 the IAC swap.

1. The car must be cool and level. Find the coolant hoses that run into the TB. Reroute them into one aother with a new hose (or the longer of the two hoses). This will completely stop the coolant from flowing through the throttlebody. This is important because: You may not seal the new houring all the way, and your engine will inhale coolant and die, and this reduces the intake temperatures and improves performance.,

2. Get the throttle body gasket and some machinists blueing (or a sharpie). Bolt the gasket the the intake manifold without the throttle body. Mark the intake manifold for the 60mm opening. Now, port the intake manifold with the die grinder until the opening matches your markings. You can do this with the manifold in place, but it is recommended to remove the manifold and port it off the car. This way you have a more comfortable workspace, and less chance of pushing metal shavings into your cylinders. If you must port on-head, stuff a rag into the opening to keep the metal out of your intake. Be sure to vacuum the manifold well before starting the car. If you do this off the head , you can clean your intake manifold afterwords. Some folks like to take it to a self serve high pressure car wash, and blast the crap out of it, others like to use two cans of TB cleaner and kill a large spot of my lawn (stupid engineers).

3. Find a nice quiet spot to work. Unscrew the IAC housings from the two throttle bodies. BE PATIENT I stripped the screws on my turbo TB and had to buy a new set. Eight dollars for 5 screws is not funny. Besides when you strip them, they are very dificult to remove, due to the contours of the IAC housing.
Get your floppy shutter and your sturdy scissors or snips. Carefully cut out shapes to cover the holes that once held the coolant. Cut out a piece to cover half of the square (on the passenger side) of the Mirage IAC housing. Stick these pieces down with a little silicone, just to ensure they are airtight.

Check your work. Do your metal pieces completely seperate the chambers like they are supposed to? Are any of those metal pieces going to be sucked into your engine forcing costly repairs? Are you sure you will not ingest any coolant?

Bolt the housings back together (that is, Eclipse TB to Mirage IAC) They will be held together with three screws in the rear. You may wish to add some silicone to the non bolted side for insurance. Bolt your monster onto your manifold, and prepare for some nice gains.

Matt
=======================
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/419886/7
(fixed the above link)

AQ's link is the TPS fix article.

========================================
"why didn't any one take the time to look at the service manuals. It took me 2 mins to figure out the difference in the 1gen TPS and our Mirage TPS. it's all in the red wire. HINT: "closed throttle position sensor!!!!" from fastmitsu18 . . . the cali guys should know him since he knows Boe.

"mitsufreak your a genius. yes that's right people. you have been spending extra money or 2gen tps's when you didn't need to.

there is a reason why the 1gen tps only has three pins:

on the mirage, the TPS and closed TPS are included in one unit with a 4 pin read out.

on the 1gen, the sensor's are separate. the how-to in our forums stakes that if you use the TPS from the 1gen, you will get a high idle. that is because they overlooked the closed tps that was not wired up to the harness. as long as you splice the closed tps sensor into the stock harness, there is no need to buy a 2nd gen sensor, and the idle is just fine. I would know. Razz

anyways. I will write up a how to later this week so that the mods can include it in the how-to's.

oh yeah, and going from a 48mm, to 60mm turbo TB feels great. Shocked Very Happy

David
SCLC Member"
===========================================

Use PB blaster or something.

bahamut Mar 3, 2005 11:21 AM

ok, you see this wire coming out of the green tape I have there:

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...86_55_full.jpg

this wire is your closed throttle position sensor (tps) wire.
you buy a wire connector called an easy splicer (it comes in blue or red, and has two places to put a wire and closes to lock them in place), shown below. You take that closed tps wire and you use the easy splicer to connect it to the yellow wire on your harness. shown below, it should be the wire that has no prong on the tps:

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...86_56_full.jpg

and viola. no more high idle.

for those of you asking how to hook up the hoses on the 91 4 port TB. here is a picture:

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...86_57_full.jpg
you T the A1 and A2 together, E hooks up like the stock hose, and you plug the P port.

Happy tuning.

David
SCLC Member

========================

Quoted in the above article. Mirage guys have been fighting high idle nearly forever until someone took the time and effort to figure stuff out electronically.

BTW: I svck at electronic stuff, except testing for ohms. The author of this article has a 5g mirage and using a 91 TB, oddly enough. I still believe the 92-94 is tried and true.

bahamut Mar 3, 2005 11:32 AM

good hunting guys . . . someone needs to get an E8 TB. Do what no Mitsu engineers never thought of doing to conservative 4G9x motors, excluding MIVEC.

Iamkar33m Mar 3, 2005 11:41 AM

good hunting guys . . . someone needs to get an E8 TB. Do what no Mitsu engineers never thought of doing to conservative 4G9x motors, excluding MIVEC.

DONT FOIL MY PLANS!!!!!!!!!! :rant:

bahamut Mar 3, 2005 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Iamkar33m
DONT FOIL MY PLANS!!!!!!!!!! :rant:

You mean put a 2nd gen MIVEC onto a G94 . . . It's possible, but I think Mitsu changed the harness pin connectors (design) to the ecu . . . might need the entire wire harness. BTW: I have taken a look at the 4g69 stroke yet since I don't even know its redline.

Drawback: I don't know if the G94 high stroke can take a constant beating at +7K rpm. Amongst the mirage guys, we believe a G93 MIVEC will lose some RPM due to the longer stroke than the G92, and we highly don't expect a G93 MIVEC will hit +8.5 rpm w/o tossing a rodbearing or something. It's a matter how much rpm will be lost from a G92 to G94 MIVEC.

Iamkar33m Mar 3, 2005 11:54 AM

You mean put a 2nd gen MIVEC onto a G94 . . . It's possible, but I think Mitsu changed the harness pin connectors (design) to the ecu . . . might need the entire wire harness. BTW: I have taken a look at the 4g69 stroke yet since I don't even know its redline.

Drawback: I don't know if the G94 high stroke can take a constant beating at +7K rpm. Amongst the mirage guys, we believe a G93 MIVEC will lose some RPM due to the longer stroke than the G92, and we highly don't expect a G93 MIVEC will hit +8.5 rpm w/o tossing a rodbearing or something. It's a matter how much rpm will be lost from a G92 to G94 MIVEC.

Naw I mean i have both evo FSM and lancer FSM and im comparing the IM and TB's thinking I could take it to another level :D

Only problem is finding an Evo IM/TB that's CHEAP... ain't gonna happen :crap:

bahamut Mar 3, 2005 12:00 PM

What's FSM?

The Evo IM won't fit a G9x block. IMs are usually designed for a specific motor family. It's like using an H22 IM and mated it to a B-series engine . . . a haphazard guess, I don't think it has worked or fit. Dunno . . . H&A crew can spend tons of money like Evo and Supra guys.

Iamkar33m Mar 3, 2005 12:08 PM

What's FSM?

The Evo IM won't fit a G9x block. IMs are usually designed for a specific motor family. It's like using an H22 IM and mated it to a B-series engine . . . a haphazard guess, I don't think it has worked or fit. Dunno . . . H&A crew can spend tons of money like Evo and Supra guys.

FSM = factory service manual

I sorta got the idea that adapting the 6x manifold to the 9x block wouldnt work but I guess if I get a good job and make some decent cash i'd give it a try. But for now imma stick with buying that 93 IM and learning the art of PnP (port and polish).

2002lancer-OZ Mar 3, 2005 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by AirQuez
I just remembered that I have a spare IM sitting in my closet. Anyone wants it , please PM me. Probably like 50 bucks shipped (shameless for sale plug).

Which engine did it come off of?

bahamut Mar 3, 2005 12:16 PM

Porting isn't that hard on the IM, just time-consuming. Precision and dedication are also the key. PnP on the cyl head is different. It takes one goof up to spoil the entire cyl head, ie shaving too much material that seats around the valve relief.

It's just like welding. There are plain to bad welders, and there are masterful welders.

lookslikeanevo Mar 3, 2005 12:19 PM

thabk baha for the....posts...tho i have read it before...it still helps....maybe ill hit up on of the local mirage guys to help me out on this one...so an Evo8 Tb should work also?....only problem with that is EVO8 owners think they their parts are made of gold...so they tend kto charge a lot more

Iamkar33m Mar 3, 2005 12:21 PM

thabk baha for the....posts...tho i have read it before...it still helps....maybe ill hit up on of the local mirage guys to help me out on this one...so an Evo8 Tb should work also?....only problem with that is EVO8 owners think they their parts are made of gold...so they tend kto charge a lot more

No, the evo 8 4g63 manifold would not work on the 4g94 block. Different families. Bahamut was saying it would be an engineering miracle if anyone pulled it off.

bahamut Mar 3, 2005 12:28 PM

We, mirage guys, never verified anything on the Evo 8, except for the simple, in-sight stuff. It's an educated guess that the E8 share similar stuff to the DSM but facing the other way. Also, 1g DSM doesn't really meet OBD2 standards (less emission plumbing) like the E8.

As for its pricing, I won't comment. :)

Another to look at: the 3KGT NA or VR4. Although I have seen 2 NA versions at the junk yard, I wasn't able to find its TB within the glut of plastic stuff covering the engine. Also, my arms aren't too long . . . the engine bay is huge but has no room to play around in it. This is the 1g version of the 3kGT, no 2g 3kGT in the salvage yard yet.

In the 3g eclipse, the 6g72 has its TB throttle cable facing the firewall. No use to us.

Alchemist Mar 3, 2005 01:10 PM

FWIW you don't really polish the IM- in fact it's been shown that leaving the surface rough promotes turbulence which helps with the air/fuel mix. Although I did remoev as much of the casting as I could to have that much extra volume to work with.

For the head, don't be scurred ;) There's not a lot of mechanical polishing that can be done on the inside because there's hardly any room. I used various grits of sandpaper wrapped around a popsicle stick to do most of that work near the valves. There's no deshrouding to do (yay). The best tool I can recommend is a router speed controller to reduce the speed of your die grinder. Mine spins at 20KRPM full throttle and the RSC brings it down to probably 5-6K. I also recommend using the cutting bur sparingly and doing a lot of work with the sanding rolls with WD40 as the lubricant (be generous with the lube, just like with your woman.... oh wait, sorry Kareem, but that's gonna be good advice later on, too :lol: :lol: Sorry I had to do it :lol: :D ) After I finished with the rolls I switched to small squares of sand paper on my finger and did a lot of the polishing work by hand. Lots of WD40 is still a good idea- it cleans the paper and it clears away the aluminum dust.

good luck!

lookslikeanevo Mar 3, 2005 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Iamkar33m
No, the evo 8 4g63 manifold would not work on the 4g94 block. Different families. Bahamut was saying it would be an engineering miracle if anyone pulled it off.

read my post again kremey...TB=throttle body not manifold

bahamut Mar 3, 2005 01:38 PM

I meant to say porting the IM . . . I'm so used to typing PnP.

If you polish up the IM runner, you'll screw up the turbulence effect. A 4g mirage owner had done so, and his motor didn't want to punch beyond 4K rpm or so. Also, a CEL came too. Constant bogging.

Alchemist Mar 3, 2005 01:46 PM

should you get it too smooth, just run the bur in there real quick to rough it up- no problem :D

And yeah, we get to dependent on abbreviations sometimes, no biggie.

Iamkar33m Mar 3, 2005 01:53 PM

read my post again kremey...TB=throttle body not manifold

Sorry bout that...

I am working on getting that g93 manifold and the 1st gen dsm TB (60mm) just like rhyzin is doing. Hopefully what bahamut posted about splicing that one yellow wire into the TPS solves the high idle problem.

Anyone know where I can get a spare head for the 4g94? I wanna fool around with one (try PnP on it).

lookslikeanevo Mar 3, 2005 02:00 PM

^i am way ahead of you...kris and i have been talking about this for months now...he just got his first...but mine should be here friday...

Alchemist Mar 3, 2005 02:03 PM

And I'm ahead of you because I've had a ported head on since the 2nd weekend in January :D neener neener neener :lol:
Word of advice- big on the intake is OK. keep the exhaust side a little smaller (on my 2nd head I didn't touch the bottom flat very much) and this is the side that benefits from polishing real purty (less carbon buildup and it allows for faster exhaust escape)
I have my original head ported and it's awaiting a stage 2 cam..... if customs decides to not lose it this time :rant:

rhyzin Mar 3, 2005 04:14 PM

hey guys. think i'm going to give up on the 1g throttlebody. if i could get the IAC housing off, then maybe i'll give it another go, but other than that this isn't all that possible. i can get the TPS working alright, i'm just stuck on the IAC.

Guru_Del Mar 3, 2005 04:29 PM

Kris,

Bring that sucker to the next meet and me and you will get it :)

rhyzin Mar 3, 2005 06:38 PM

haha, will do. it'll be brung :spin:

KillahB Mar 3, 2005 06:49 PM

Again, my 1G was the latter 1G TB (92 - 93) and i have had no problems since time began with idle. Right now, I have it set to idle at just about 1K RPMs (with the BISS screw) because of rich problems at idle. I didnt have to jerry rig anything, just got the TB, ran some brake cleaner thru it to clean off the gunk, then slapped it on and went. I will try to explore the Evo TB aspect as well, if they dont poke my eyes out.

2002lancer-oz - the manifold I have is off of a 99 1.8L ...

Rhyzin -- I forgot to ask, did you use the 1.8L rail too or did the 4G94 rail mount up no problems?

oh yeah, also, with the P&P heads, I lucked out and picked up an RPW Stage 2 P&Ped head from a friend for cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeap.... but I did not notice any seat of the pants gains from it. I dunno, esp. aspirated, I did not really see that much gains. I would advise most to keep this mod as a last mod if yo uare trying to extract any and every HP or a DIY mod. I dunno, perhaps with cam work, I will see more gains, but aspirated w/ stock head versus aspirated with RPW head, I didnt feel much more gains.

rhyzin Mar 3, 2005 07:08 PM

the rails are identical. just swap them over. MAP sensor and EGR are the same as well. emission stuff bolt on as well.

back to the isc, the plugs are all different. the 1g isc plug is larger but the wiring should be the same. as a whole, the lancer isc and housing is smaller and has less parts to it. i was able to take out the plastic part where they plug into and the plunger design inside are different. maybe i have a leak somewhere because with throttle closed and BISS screw closed, i get an idle of 3k. not pretty.

the 1g tps also has a larger plug. the 1g has the extra pin for the throttle closed switch whether external or internal. the lancer tps is smaller and has only 3 pins. the lancer tps is also not as adjustable in terms of rotating the sensor body.

so for being a direct plug in... nope.

lookslikeanevo Mar 3, 2005 10:19 PM

boo for not being plug and play...but...isnt it funner taht way

Alchemist Mar 4, 2005 12:05 AM

if it were that easy, none of us would be interested :lol:

lookslikeanevo Mar 4, 2005 12:08 AM

^ ya true....is it in the mitsu blood to DIY?...were becoming dsmers