Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.
View Poll Results: Custom molding
Raise value
3.23%
lower value
64.52%
stay the same
19.35%
who cares!
12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Custom Lancer

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2003, 12:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom Lancer

Okay, well I was just wondering today about doing modifications on my car. If I were to custom mold IS 300 tail lights into my car, would this lower the value of my car? also could I still trade it into the dealer if it's been altered? any answers would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 6, 2003, 12:18 AM
Evolving Member

The second you drove the car off the lot you lost a few grand... Yes a dealership will take modded cars.
Old Apr 6, 2003, 12:21 AM
Evolving Member

From what I've seen and heard, the dealer most times won't take a mod car for a trade in, if they do, you won't get much for it. You should try and talk to some local dealers and see what they say.
Old Apr 6, 2003, 12:24 AM
Evolved Member

For the most part, aftermarket parts won't up the value of the car they're on. Maybe if you're selling privately, but definitely not at the dealer.
Old Apr 6, 2003, 01:35 AM
Evolving Member

trust me, any little mod you do to your car will make the value go down like crazy...i was trying to trade in my SI for the evo and the dealer told me my car worth 10G but will only give me 6G cause i painted the car white. it sucks.
Old Apr 6, 2003, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

yeah price usually goes down with mods because for the most part...no one wants it. you can sell it for more to someone who knows all about car's and stuff privately but usually you'll get the low end of the deal. many ppl want to do mods on their one also. so i guess it depends.
Old Apr 6, 2003, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

the dealer won't give you a dime more for any modifications, even if you have 10 000$ worth of 'em.

privately, well it's very hard to sell a modded car. No one want's a pre modded car. First they are all beaten to death, so engines never last, secund, they want to build up their's according to their tastes..

So modding a car is for you only, it's a continuous money trap.. That's why many only put direct bolt on.. they car sell the parts separatly and put the car back stock to sell it.

Etienne
Old Apr 6, 2003, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by onet0nsoup
trust me, any little mod you do to your car will make the value go down like crazy...i was trying to trade in my SI for the evo and the dealer told me my car worth 10G but will only give me 6G cause i painted the car white. it sucks.
they did this cuz repainting the car voids the paint warrenty on your car.
Old Apr 6, 2003, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

some mods can increase the value of your car.
for example my car came with hub caps, i now have 17's, one of the questions the dealer asks you is ...."what kind of wheels?" i can now check the alloy wheel box. so that mod helps. but thats about it, well my modded car almost got me about 20 grand, he thought it was an IS300. lol
Old Apr 6, 2003, 11:09 PM

yes mods lower value because the usually void the warranty so the price goes down always keep old parts to replace then just in case crap like that happens
Old Apr 7, 2003, 12:05 PM
STC

Re: Custom Lancer

Originally posted by Surfer_Sandman
Okay, well I was just wondering today about doing modifications on my car. If I were to custom mold IS 300 tail lights into my car, would this lower the value of my car? also could I still trade it into the dealer if it's been altered? any answers would be greatly appreciated.
Ricing out the Lancer now?
Old Apr 7, 2003, 12:22 PM

EVERY MOD YOU ADD TO THE CAR, IT LOOSES VALUE. THE ONLY WAY TO GET GOOD $$$ FROM IT, IS SELL PRIVATE PARTY. LIL BIT LESS THAT KBB.
Old Apr 9, 2003, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

cool cool, thanks for all the input. And yes I'm modding out the Lancer now, I'm not rich so I can't afford an Evo even though I want one bad, the VII that is. I'm still not that thrilled with the VIII but I guess I'll need some more time.
Old Apr 9, 2003, 08:56 PM
In Timeout

Actually, the cheapest mods, like neons, stickers and tint, both increase the value of your Lancer and add horsepower, without the need for often pricey aftermarket forced induction kits.
Old Apr 9, 2003, 08:57 PM

I would say like MrSpace, if you mod your car it's for you only. If you plan on selling your car say 3 years after you bought it. Don't touch the body, cause of paint warranty.

Second, keep all the original parts, so if you know someone who can replace the mod stuff with the original stuff for cheap, you won't lose a lot of money and you will have fun with your mod car for 3 years.

The only part I know that will add value to the car are good looking wheels and tires. Everyone likes good looking wheels, they are not ready to pay for them full price, but it will help to sell the car fast!

Friends of mine have done it already and it worked well with Honda's at least.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Custom Lancer