Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

price of body kit paint job?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2006, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
price of body kit paint job?

anyone who has had a body kit painted, how much did you pay? also how much did you pay for the paint and where did you get it? the mitsu dealership?
Old Jul 15, 2006, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

AT THE DEALERSHIP

LMAO. mines the price of a paint gun and a compressor, and some sand paper.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

haha @ dealership.. go to a body shop. u gotta be more specific when u ask questions. body kit?.. as in whole kit?.. just the front bumper? .. ive gotten a few kits painted and parts.. pm me if u got questions
Old Jul 15, 2006, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

My car is faded so i am getting the whole thing repainted with my kit hood and spoiler
Old Jul 15, 2006, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

It all depends on how nice you want your car to look, i have been a painter for the last 10 years or so and i am ICAR certified Gold class painter. if you want a whole body kit like the veilside kit or something you are going to need to have your rockers painted as well as your quarters (and roof to if you want it done right) and fenders, along with your new bumpers and sides skirts. Now a lot of you are like NO WAY not the roof too but what does the pillar from the quarters connect too? the roof gold star for you. Now this way is the most expensive and RIGHT way to do it to make it look like it came that way. Many a painter can do it cheaper but the quality will prolly suck and in five or less years your gonna be doing it all over again. Price wise your looking at around anywhere from 2g's to 3g's on up to 5 if you want it really nice, talk to a showcar owner to see what they paid for their finish. But you might find someone like me to do it on the side out of their own garage for a lot cheaper. But LOOK FOR A GOOD BODY SHOP. look for ICAR on the side of it and use a good paint... i suggest Spies-Hecker or Sikkens. I am Spies Sikkens Global( a brand of PPG) PPG and Dupont certified myself, but if you follow what i said you will find a shop to do it good for you, oh yea in closing the reason you want your fenders and quarters resprayed is so that your new bumpers will match your new car (many say that can butt match it, but few can really actually do it) so just use your head and do not be afraid to shop around..later man hope this helps
Old Jul 15, 2006, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

I gotta fix a few spots on my on my FB with some bondo or something, but prolly let a shop do it! Geeting a hook up on the whole car cept my CF hood and center of rear wing. Whole car for $500!!!! If it is a whole kit I've heard $600 up to like 2K!!!
Old Jul 15, 2006, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

run a search and see if the thread has been covered...i am pretty sure i have seen this question a few times b4.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

and oh yea for you DIY guys there are many many paint stores that sell paint, its the same shops body shops get their paint so break open the yellow pages and keep in mind you do not just need Base coat(the paint) you need reducers clear coats(clears are usually a 2 or 3 part processs depending on what brand you use) primers, if your using a raw plastic kit you will need plastic primers etc etc and last and most importantly DO NOT COCKTAIL DIFFERENT BRANDS OF PAINT, CLEARS ETC ETC ... Price varies from diff manufactures but usually a quart of base unreduced is around 50 to 60 bucks (when you reduce it usually 1:1 it becomes 2 quarts sprayable) and clear is a lot more usually 125 to 150 for a gallon or so but do not forget the reducers hardners etc etc you might want to take it to a body shop
Old Jul 15, 2006, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Depends on where you go. Search around your area and you will find out which shops have good reputation and which ones are the most cost effective. I'm getting my whole car resprayed for about $360 for white with red pearl. I dunno if its gonna look good, but it sounds pretty sweet. And I've seen some of the work that's come out of this place and it is actually pretty damn good for that price.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 09:59 PM
Evolving Member

hey i didnt mean get it pained at the dealership!!!! im not that dumb, i meant do you buy the paint at the dealership, and yea i realize i need clear coat, but i havent really got a strieght answer yet... im not talking about the whole car, just a fiberglass body kit, im taking auto body class next year but i didnt want to wait+ im a little pessimistic about doing it myself
Old Jul 15, 2006, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

OK man i thought i was as straight forward as i could be.. but here let me try again.. your car and every car on the planet has a paint code somewhere on it (try the jams inside your quarters, maybe on the inside of the door somewhere, could be in your trunk on your spare tire cover or in your glove compartment) once you have the paint code (and you will prolly not know what is the paint code until you talk to a body shop or the dealer) now that you have the code go to ANY PAINT SHOP IN THE YELLOW PAGES with your code year of your car and color of your car, then they will mix up however much paint you want...typically depending on the color of your car and if you are only painting the said fiberglass pieces (WHICH YOU STILL HAVE NOT SAID what all it is... bumpers sides etc etc) paint is about roughly 50 to 60 bucks a quart and if its only bumpers and sides (which i strongly recommend you paint fenders and at least quarters too and you will only need a lil bit of color on fenders and quarters NOT PAINT THE WHOLE THING, that is called blending) you will prolly need a quart and a half SOOOOOOOOOO just for base coat your looking at a roughly 150 200 max JUST FOR THE paint hopes this helps but i still say talk to a body shop cause even though you are going to attend a Vo tech or whatever it will be years before you are a painter yourself.....
Old Jul 15, 2006, 10:34 PM
Evolving Member

and EEHJAY dont take your ride to a MAACO please i beg you....i love cars and i hate to see ANY ride be subjected to that abuse, their supreme gold job or whatever ISNT i promise you
Old Jul 15, 2006, 10:45 PM
Evolving Member

lol ive seen maacos work.... if i wanted clearcoat drip lines all over my body kit i would go there and pay 23 cents to get my kit painted...lol
Old Jul 15, 2006, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

Yo Ziggy I'm not bringing it to one of those 1-Day Paint places, it's a local shop by my dad's place. A few of my friends have gone there to get things painted and it's come out really nice. My girlfriend's cousin got the kit on his tC blended there really nice. The only reason I'm painting my WHOLE car is because someone keyed the $hit out of it.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 11:04 PM
Evolving Member

Oh ok man i was just thinking those prices sound like Maaco, and matty if i was in your town i would charge you about 500 to 1000(depending on how much you need painted)to do your ride and you would have to buy all the materials yourself so that may help you figure out howmuch its gonna cost you, and good luck with auto body class i have made a good living at spraying cars, i love what i do and if your good at it and actually care about your work you can make some good coin at it, so stick with it and learn as much as you can and good luck with school

oh yea first lesson those are called "runs" not driplines son LOL anyhoo GL with school

Quick Reply: price of body kit paint job?