Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

Custom Valve cover (need suggestions)

Old Feb 1, 2010, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Custom Valve cover (need suggestions)

wanted to show off a little work from today. since i know alot of people dont poke there heads into the force induction section at all.

I got to messing around with my valve cover today. i had worked on it previously but since then i hadden decided on what i wanted to do with it.. i was really bored so i got to thinkin..
E85 car.. 10x the origonal amount of fuel being used, no cats.. really loud..
Biohazard theme

So i finished sanding spray the valve cover in some flat black(almost grey color) a
nd sprayed the lower sections with some VHT wrinkled black, actually did two full layers (took forever cuz u have to wait 2-4hours between coats)
Retaped it up and sprayed the top section with some gloss black so there is definately a color different between the two..

This is where i have stopped..
I noticed a few things i dont like.. but its to late to go back and try to fix it now.. but two areas of wher ei wanst sanding just didnt come out right.. but ill live with it.. its not that bad or obvious(i dont think)

I have removed and added a few breathers.. (not needed i know.. but it looks cool.. so whatever) i was getting alot of oil blow back so it was something i decided to do a while ago.

Anyways.. now im waiting on the other color paints to come in so i can finish it.. but u get the idea. gunna have a little Orange added to it..

This

To this..

u can see two bubble on the right side.. maybe its a puddle from a little to much paint i donno.. trying not to toch it right now.. and theres alot of small air bubbles in it.. so now i gotta figure out how to get rid of those, if i cant, o well.. i like wheres its at so far..

Suggestions would be.. (IF U KNOW!)
how to get ride of the SUPER tiny air bubbles and fix the two low spots that pop'd up that u can see on the right side also.
and any suggestions of anything i should put on the valve cover.. I figured the word and symbol for biohazard in orange would be cool (near the oil cap)

anything else come to mind guys?

Any suggestions r most welcome.. (and yes its not near perfect and i havent been doing the best job. but i like it so far!) the old camo painted valve cover looked really cool till i messed it up with carb cleaner

Last edited by Demon_ni2; Feb 1, 2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 04:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i was told to use really fine grit sandpaper, like 6 million and sand it down
did your prime it first?
Old Feb 16, 2010, 04:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To get it super nice looking try sanding it down with pretty light grit paper then try spray painting again.. Only this time don't try to do the entire thing in one coat, thats where most go wrong..

Do 4-5 light coats and you wont have any puddling and drip marks... Also make sure you have the paint can about a 12-16 inchs from what youre actually spraying.. No need to hover right over it.

The good thing is paint and sand paper are cheap so no worries.. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Cheers!
Old Feb 16, 2010, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^good info
Old Feb 23, 2010, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 4WS Tuning
To get it super nice looking try sanding it down with pretty light grit paper then try spray painting again.. Only this time don't try to do the entire thing in one coat, thats where most go wrong..

Do 4-5 light coats and you wont have any puddling and drip marks... Also make sure you have the paint can about a 12-16 inchs from what youre actually spraying.. No need to hover right over it.

The good thing is paint and sand paper are cheap so no worries.. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Cheers!
i was going up to about 320 grit. from 80-160-320grit.. came out looking great, just took more then 1 attempt.
i actually built it back up and sanded it down again and resprayed it all.. came out looking really good this time..
1 small low spot right in the front still. but nothing that bothers me.
the fingure prints show up very well in this picture for some reason.. the 1 low spot is actually ont he left side not the right, the right smear is nothing.. just smudge on the cover when i took the picture

the tan background really makes the color look weird.. its a very bright deep orange.. looks really good.. i love it.. it was exactly what i wanted. definately makes the engine bay go pop!

Last edited by Demon_ni2; Feb 23, 2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pink

hot pink with high gloss FTW
Old Mar 2, 2010, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Updates?