Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Spring Silencers? Help

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2008, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spring Silencers? Help

I got B&G Springs for my 04 OZ and ever since I installed them, whenever I go over bumps they make metal clanking noises. That's the best I could think to describe it. The shocks aren't blown I know. They still have lots of bounce and ride smooth, just noisy. So I heard somewhere that most springs come with some type of "cushion" or silencer things. I've had the springs on for a few months now and the noise has been the same the whole time.

For more detailed explaination, the noise isn't from hitting the bumps, but when coming off of them. Example, when taking an on-ramp to the highway, as I turn to the left, the passenger wheels make the noise while hitting bumps, and visa versa. Any ideas to fix this? It's really annoying and it makes the car sound much cheaper and crappier.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 07:42 PM
CDO
Evolving Member

If this is the same problem I experienced once, a friend and I determined where on the spring it was making the noise and jammed a piece of rubber from a bicycle innertube in there and the noise stopped.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Are you talking about helper springs (small springs that absorb small bumps)? The noise might be from the spring binding rather than twisting like it should. I had the same noise with my Ksports and my only advice is to lube them up.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

no you need something to put between the spring and the spring perch it makes the sound when turning wheel cuz the spring is binding up. most good coilovers have the material between it others dont (like my megan tracks) i have same problem but dont wana pull coilovers off again and tear them apart. just deal with it or buy an expensive coilover to fix it.