Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

Sudden transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2010, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sudden transmission issue

On my way to work this morning my clutch pedal was a lot softer than it has been before. Clutch disengagement point was nearly towards the floor and whenever I lightly rested my foot on the clutch, it vibrated a lot. Got home after work and changed my oil cause I was going to do it anyways. While I was under there I changed the transmission fluid as well.

Once all that was done I took it for a spin, same thing but after about maybe 8 more miles, my clutch wouldnt disengage at all when pressing the pedal. I would have to turn my car off, put it in first, turn my car on and go from there, while forcing the gear through the remaining gears to get home. I waited for one of my buddies to get off work to help me bleed the clutch lines and we did it and I was able to shift again, however now when I disengage the clutch (push the pedal down) all the way, theres an audible rattle and my friend says it sounds like its coming from the transmission housing. The pedal vibration is also still there but only very slightly after bleeding the lines.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem is and also how much it would cost to fix it? I dont know my way around a transmission in terms of taking it apart so doing it myself would most likely be impossible.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clutch is gone?
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:33 AM

No idea. I mean when its in gear its not slipping out so im not sure if that means my clutch is fine. I have no idea about the specific internals on a clutch or transmissions in general.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your slave master cylinder is gone.
This is a VERY common problem with our cars.
For sure, that's what it is.

It's in the transmission on the throwout bearing.

You might as well replace the clutch and resurface the flywheel while you're in there, if you can afford it.
The reason being that when your slave master cylinder goes, it leaks clutch/brake fluid on your clutch and eats it up.

If you can't afford to fix it, overfill your brake/clutch master cylinder (doing this will refill your clutch slave cylinder) and rebleed as needed.
You will find that the bleed you just did will go away soon.

Really you just need to fix it.

Lots of info about this issue on here though, search "slave cylinder" and you'll see.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 09:47 PM

Dude that happen to me when I first got my OZ its the Slave Cylinder went out and when i went to bleed it... thats when hell broke loose my clutch was soaked in fluid. So i was force to get a new clutch.