Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

Evo changover

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2013, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo changover

I have a 2003 OZ Rally and I'm trying to drop an Evo Drivetrain in it but I need to know if I will be able to fully utilize it ( ie. making it an AWD requiring the driveline, rear diff. and axles) the main thing I don't know right now is where exactly the driveline goes back and if the Lancer body had the same undercarriage as the Evo

-Thanks to all who reply and help
Old Dec 15, 2013, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Most people would say to just go buy an evo. Although if you could make it an evo 7 because of the body style that would be cool but spendy. I've never actually seen a 7 in real life im not even sure if they have them in the us.

Anyways the engine and tranny alone are probably going to cost at least half of what your cars worth. Then you will need other things such as custom fabricated motor mounts, the evo gas tank, trailing arms, all 4 axles, a new exhaust system, front knuckle/hub/brakes, rear brakes/hubs, a evo ecu, driveline, transfer case, rear end.. and of course a ton of other little things that i could probably name if i wanted to take the time.

Unless you live somewhere you can't buy evo or find a totaled one for cheap i wouldn't wanna try. Even after all the parts you would most likely need some body parts because i think the evo parts will move the front wheel. you would also need new tires and wheels, and that stuff aint cheap.

Theres a really good write up about a parts list and such from a guy goin AWD but i think he was going to use the outlander platform and not the evo. that seems more economical and possible if you can find the 5sp trans. it would also be a 2.4 litre i believe.

i think going either way outlander or evo the biggest pain in the rear would be cutting off the lancer rear subframe and installing an evo/outlander subframe there.... since ours is welded on and theres is bolted. Also installing that correctly to get a good wheel alignment would be important.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 09:00 PM

Thanks for the response and the way you put it just buying an Evo is easier I only got the idea because I have a warranty on it and i have some friends (one of which gets used Japanese race parts) and was gonna use the warranty to pay for it but that is way too much work re fabricating stuff and I dont wanna waste the time but thank you very much for the information
Old Dec 28, 2013, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

It's been done, some guy in Sothern California has already done it back when the SCLC boards was still around. This all depends if you're willing to do it and have the parts ready, I can direct you to him.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:13 PM

I would just go buy a wrx if you really want awd
Old Jan 10, 2014, 12:37 AM

Im probrably just gonna try and save up to buy and Evo x seen them for under 25g
Old Jan 15, 2014, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Honestly, if you're interested in doing something like this look at getting a ralliart and doing the conversion. The ground work has been laid and seems much easier to do. Venture over there and read a bit.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Instead of replacing the drive drain just Turbo it .
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:09 PM

Since we are talking about the same topic, I read from this forum the subframes from a lancer and an evo are identical all the dimension differences lie in the control arms. Does anyone know if I can put an evo subframe on a lancer and retain the regular lancer lower control arms and sway bars? (ie: measured bolt holes' distances and diameters to be in fact identical)

Thinking of getting an evo steering rack for my es and a fitting set of evo subframe/center member sounds like a decent upgrade to go with it.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Are you looking to keep this fwd or make it awd? I was planning on doing an awd conversion til I seen how much the Evo motor really costs. So I said screw it and I'm going to do the 4g64 instead and just leave it fwd
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:24 PM

Definitely keeping FWD and the 4G94.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:30 PM

Plan is to get evo steering rack and RCA ball joints/tie rod ends. Ralliart struts and lowering springs later. Not going for a hardcore racer just a fun little commuter with some character for the remainder of its life.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I think you're better off spending the money elsewhere then. Seems like a grand old waste of money to go through all this hassle when it's just a commuter.