Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

"clacking" valves?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2003, 03:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mobius the higher octane gas was the solution given to me from the service dept. at the mitsu dealer, There is no gain from it, it just takes care of the sound.
Old Jan 17, 2003, 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

I would think that the dealer would try to figure out if you're having premature ignition of your air/fuel mixure and if so why.
Old Jan 17, 2003, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

there is a good possiblilty it is lifter tick, mitsu engines are notroius for that.
Old Jan 17, 2003, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by favre95
there is a good possiblilty it is lifter tick, mitsu engines are notroius for that.
Well, I'm gonna try replacing the spark plugs. I'm hearing around that this is normal for Mitsubishis, but I dunno about mine, it is really loud. The car is totally bone stock.

The dealer can't decide if it is normal (2 differnt ones), they say, "just wait & see". The seems to run o.k.

SO, I dunno! I just really don't like it!
Old Jan 17, 2003, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

lifter tick is really not a problem...it just sounds bad and yes it happens to almost of all of mitsus engines...my brother has an OZ...I heard his engine...and it was lifter tick....so chances are thats all it is.
Old Jan 17, 2003, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by favre95
lifter tick is really not a problem...it just sounds bad and yes it happens to almost of all of mitsus engines...my brother has an OZ...I heard his engine...and it was lifter tick....so chances are thats all it is.
That's cool. Good to know, 'cuz otherwise, I REALLY like the car!
Old Jan 17, 2003, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

Mine does it when it is first started in the morning, its not as bad after 8k miles or maybe im used to it now
Old Jan 17, 2003, 11:11 PM

what your hearing are you hydrolic lash adjusters. they are self adjusting lifters. they run about 15 bucks a piece. you shouldnt have to worry though cause your warr. should cover
Old Jan 17, 2003, 11:17 PM

Originally posted by 2003lancer
what your hearing are you hydrolic lash adjusters. they are self adjusting lifters. they run about 15 bucks a piece. you shouldnt have to worry though cause your warr. should cover
ya know, that is what I thought it might be, in fact, this mitsu mechanic at the dealer said they might be those things, but the warranty only coveres 4 at a time.......He said it is best to replace them all at the same time.

anyhow, how did you know that? Are they hard to replace?
Old Feb 11, 2003, 09:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The lash adjusters are a problem as far as noise goes. I have a ported/polished/matched head and the noise was worsened by the lack of material to absorb it now. I've blown the motor twice, hate the sound, but after all that they are still good. You can go for new ones... which are actually $24/ea but don't worry about it. Yes it is worse when cold and still bad when hot but it's normal. If i could i'd let you hear mine... you'd think your's sounded perfect then. Lash adjuster sound sucks, they are super easy to replace yet if not warrentied Mits will want about $800 to do it. That blows. Just love the motor for what she is and as long as there are no responsive, idling, or running probs run her till the wheels fall off!
Old Feb 11, 2003, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

Hmmm...im gonna agree with what was said before...its the lifters man...you guys think your lancers are bad you should hear mine hehehe . i think its just the mitsu engine thats all.........and no I dont have crankwalk!!!!!! HAHAHAHA!!!!!
Old Feb 11, 2003, 11:06 PM

my eclipse did it forever until i blew my head up, don't have it back together yet to see if it still does it engineers had a few too many when they designed it