Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

volt gauge how-to

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2005, 03:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question volt gauge how-to

does anyone know how you hook up a volt gauge in our car. what wires are needed and where to connect them.
if anyone knows please help me
also, i searched and came up empty handed
Old Mar 25, 2005, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

umm, I guess to be most accurate, hook the positive lead up to the battery positive, and the negative up to a good solid ground, that's about it. Any 12V positive would do though really
Old Mar 25, 2005, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

how many wires are there? If it is two then on is your 12v and the other a ground. I assume you should just find a 12v power supply or splice a wire w/ ~12v when the car isn't started, I think it will read a little higher when the car is running like around 14 maybe. And find a good ground. Can't tell you exactly what wires but you could hunt since tech. you have a voltage meter. I would def. ground it first. How come you need a volt gauge? I had one in my last car b/c there was crazy electrical problems, like both headlights burning out at the sametime while driving. Good luck!
Old Mar 25, 2005, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

it has 2 wires one black one white, which 12v source to connect it to though, cause its gotta go off when car is off
Old Mar 25, 2005, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

use ACC
Old Mar 25, 2005, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

how, which one

thanks in advance
Old Mar 26, 2005, 12:12 AM
Evolving Member

hmm... where you going to install it at? Maybe the powerwire that runs into the radio, it would shut off when the car isn't on...I believe. or if you put it on the drver's side you could wrap it around one of the fuses below/behind the dash, make sure it is something with 12 volts, sorry can't be more help!!
Old Mar 26, 2005, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

i installed it right where the cubby hole is. i bought a custom piece off another member that fits where the cubby hole is, it looks awesome. and before anyone says why would you want a volt gauge, i have a 2000watt system, which in hand equals a dead battery when the car is shut off. i want to know when the battery is still charged enough to start it up. i guess it would be safe to tap into the radio ignition wire?
thanks for all the help, just if someone could let me know if it is safe to tap into radio wire, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

give us a pic of it installed...and yeah that radio wire would be fine but make sure you ues the wire that is off when the car is off...not the hot one that allows you to still eject the CD and retains the memory of the radio

also do a google search...to see what is best...it'll point you in the right direction...and its a good idea to have a Volt gauge especially with a system...the other you wanna do is have a Temp gauge for your amps to keep the temp in check