Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

cd player

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2006, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cd player

ok, don't laugh.

no, seriously, don't laugh.

so, the cd player in my '03 es is stock... i bought it in '04 used (dealer rental)... the cd player was fine when i got it. maybe a week later, my cd player started acting weird. first off, it's stopped saving my programmed radio stations. there's only 2 i actually listen to, but i can set them before i go to work, get in my car at lunch and they're gone. my cd player spits out the cd when i start the car if it's been shut off for 5 min or more. it's annoying because i've listened to the first 4 songs on every cd i own so many times i could join all those bands and work it... plus i have to resent the levels.
i'm hoping to have a system put in, but in the meantime, that's really bugging me. do i need to reset something?
Old Nov 8, 2006, 05:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by aznmitsugrl
ok, don't laugh.

no, seriously, don't laugh.

so, the cd player in my '03 es is stock... i bought it in '04 used (dealer rental)... the cd player was fine when i got it. maybe a week later, my cd player started acting weird. first off, it's stopped saving my programmed radio stations. there's only 2 i actually listen to, but i can set them before i go to work, get in my car at lunch and they're gone. my cd player spits out the cd when i start the car if it's been shut off for 5 min or more. it's annoying because i've listened to the first 4 songs on every cd i own so many times i could join all those bands and work it... plus i have to resent the levels.
i'm hoping to have a system put in, but in the meantime, that's really bugging me. do i need to reset something?

1st is sounds like the memory module in the cd player is going out on you with it not saving the settings or the station presets but since its also spitting out the cd when power hits the unit I'd say check the wiring or the connector at the back of the cd player. It may be not solidly connected to the radio or may have shaken lose. I say this because it just might be that the +12v constant power that the cd player should have whether the car is off or on is not staying constant to the cd player.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i've got 3 of them in my garage. i'll send you one for $30 shipped.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 01:28 PM

ok, so.... i'm making an educated guess that i would need to pull out the cd player to check... how?
Old Nov 9, 2006, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

unscrew the 2 screws in the center cubby hole and pop it out, remove the 3 knobs for the HVAC system, remove the single screw that holds that peice of the dash in then pry it off carefully. that will leave the 4 screws holding your stereo in 100% accessable. unscrew those and the whole CD player and wiring harness should slide right out.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by comatose721
unscrew the 2 screws in the center cubby hole and pop it out, remove the 3 knobs for the HVAC system, remove the single screw that holds that peice of the dash in then pry it off carefully. that will leave the 4 screws holding your stereo in 100% accessable. unscrew those and the whole CD player and wiring harness should slide right out.
someones done this quite often. lol
Old Nov 12, 2006, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by iyi0521
someones done this quite often. lol
yuppers
Old Nov 18, 2006, 07:34 AM

gah! ok, so i have the two screws above the cubby unscrewed and that pulled out. i've got the HVAC knobs off and the two screws behind those off, but i can't get any kind of leverage to pull out the console. i tried grab onto the bezel and work at least the bottom end out, but it's not budging... any tips?
**i'm sitting in my car on my laptop hoping to dear Jesus someone will see this in the next 5 min or so...**
Old Nov 18, 2006, 08:28 AM

ok, so i just pulled out the player and the 12V WAS loose. so everything got all tightened up and snug. i put in a cd, then i let it play for a minute. i turn off the car, come back 10 minutes later. i start the car, cd pops right back out. but, after all that prying and popping i just don't really wanna worry about it. in a little while i'll be replacing the cd player anyways, so yeah.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Heck, those stock units are as good as garage... Just get yourself that new HU and call it a Christmas present.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 05:29 AM

yeah... i was thinking about the whole cd player thing yesterday...
so i'm gonna be getting married in about 18 months, and shortly thereafter will be trading my lancer in for an accord or a civic ::cringe:: yes, i'll be hated on here... but do i really wanna go thru all the work of putting in a system? cause i was planning on in the spring getting 2 10's (and box, amp, all that stuff) and a new cd player (10's because we have strict noise ordinances around here), then wheels in the summer... but then there's the issue of wanting to keep whatever i install for my new car.... and the wheels i know won't fit an accord, so i'll probably get a civic (first pick anyways)...
but it's just so much work... i COULD wait and just push the cd in every time i crank the car... then when i get my honda, i could nag my new husband into doing all the work...
so many alternatives.. ::sigh::
Old Nov 20, 2006, 05:30 AM

ps... even though i want an accord or civic... i would LOVE to have an Evo IX and take it out to the local track.... that would be my FIRST pick... then the civic..
Old Nov 20, 2006, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

We don't down people who want to get rid of their Lancers. Hell, I wish I could hop into a Legacy GT every morning. But we all get cars at the time that we can afford and we think look good, like in my case. Just don't get a one-track mind on one brand/model over another; and don't forget used cars too.

Just get a new deck and it can be swapped into the new car later...
Old Nov 20, 2006, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
look under the hood in the fuse box. Your backup fuse is most likely blown and you'll have the same problem when you put your new headunit in if you don't replace the fuse.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 02:52 PM

ok, so fuses are good in the box under the hood... do i remember seeing a fuse on the back of the player?? we've got a million fuses laying around here in the shop, so it's not hard to get my hands on one...
i did think that it was kinda funny how mitsubishi had cute little pictures on the lid to designate which fuse was for what....