Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

EGR Valve issues

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2008, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR Valve issues

So I just had to get a waiver for my NC Inspection because of a check engine light being on in my car...
2003 Lancer ES

Before that, I had a diagnostic run on my car, and it came up low flow thru the EGR or whatever...
ok, so the family mechanic replaced the EGR valve on my car, and yes it did actually need it... the thing was jam-packed full of carbon... he cleaned everything out, put everything back together, and i drove it for a couple days to get the sensors back up on the computer. the light came back on, so he ran another diagnostic and it still came back low flow... so he and another mechanic this time, both pulled everything apart, hooked it up to a machine that was supposed to suck out everything that could have been built up that he may have missed... another 60 miles later, the light is back on. well, i've had a second opinion, and he said everything looks good when he pulled it all apart, and i ended up getting the waiver.

so i was wondering if there was a possibility of a bad sensor or an issue with the computer itself. does anyone know of any recent recalls?

it's been forever since i've been on here, last time was a power steering issue, but you guys are the first place i thought of when the mechanic was stumped.

~deb
Old Sep 29, 2008, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

I am not sure on regular lancers. On evos the tubes fall off very easily and leak. They are also diaphragm based and mine would blow boost through it. The car was actually almost lemoned b/c of it. They found the problem on their last chance. Have you tried replacing it?
Old Sep 30, 2008, 05:11 AM

the valve has been replaced. the entire thing is squeaky clean on the inside now, because they've pulled it all apart and cleaned it out.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

It's always possible the sensors can go out. But, I would rule out everything else first, because they can be expensive to replace.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 08:40 PM

does anyone know of any recalls that could be out there for it?

i had the catalytic converter replaced a couple years ago, covered by warranty... and i replaced the O2 sensors about the same time...
Old Oct 1, 2008, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

check the vacuum routing to the egr valve actuator... Follow the sticker on your hood and make sure the actuator is connected to the egr valve. Low flow to the egr valve could be due to the egr valve not opening cuz i think your talking about the same code that we get when we sue a egr blockoff plate on our cars....
Old Oct 31, 2014, 06:17 AM

did it solved the problem or not yet????

I have the same problem and solve it