Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Misfire Problems

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2009, 03:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Misfire Problems

Well alright. I blew my headgasket around March and the car wasnt used or repaired until Sept-Oct because I had to save up money. My dad found a mechanic to work on it and he did most of the stuff. Changed the head gasket. My dad bought the head to a shop to get it machined. Got my timing belt change, water pump changed. Put it back all back together and then got the car running.

There was a lot of codes being thrown off. First was P0441 I believe which had to do with the Evap System. We got it corrected because some hoses where misplaced and we worked it out. And also P0171 which is running to lean.

A P05XX I can't recall at the moment goes on because of the High Idle. I don't really get a steady idle so we keep adjusting it to a higher one so the drop in idle doesn't stall the engine.

When we tried to get the car smogged the three main codes throwing off was P05XX which was the high idle,P0171 which is running lean and P0300 which is random misfire

We found out that cylinder #2 and cylinder #3 aren't firing. We check the plugs and there wasn't any spark. I'm still throwing P0171 which is lean and the Idle is still a bit jumpy. It can't handle the AC on too well. And also when i try to drive it around it would start at say 900rpms on idle and going around the block on stop signs it would drop down to as low as 400 rpms.

Things we did to try to solve the misfires: Checked the spark plugs we replaced them from some champions spark plugs that i bought right after the mechanics finished to some ngk's with a .040 gap. Ran Sea Foam in the car two nights ago. Checked all the hoses for leaks 5-10 times already even replaced some hoses. Swapped out the coil packs. Im not sure which one is cylinder #1 and #4 but me and my dad established that those ones are firing. We checked the EGR valve and cleaned it today. Also we took out the fuel line and tried to clean out the Fuel Injectors. Just wondering what else to do to try to troubleshoot it. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sounds like you have a leak after the MAF. Which is allowing Air into the system. Which the ECU does not know is there causing it to run lean. Also due to the vacuum leak it's causing the motor to idle low/stall. But this is just a guess. Check all vacuum lines for leaks and check that the gaskets are allowing air threw. Buy a can of starter fluid. And spray around the intake manifold gasket and were the TB gasket is. Or were ever you think leaks are. While you are doing this have one of your friend's watch the idle and see if it raises. If it does were you just sprayed is were the leak is.