Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Loud Pop and loss of power- 2013 lancer GT

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2019, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loud Pop and loss of power- 2013 lancer GT

So about a month ago I was driving my ‘13 lancer GT (manual 2.4L) from Delaware to NH. It’s a really long drive and about halfway through in Connecticut my car broke down. I was driving about 70 down the highway when I heard a loud pop come from my car followed by all the dash lights and a complete loss of power. I immediately pulled over and turned off my car to avoid any further damage. I got out of the car and saw my plastic guards on fire under the oil pan melting away. I put out the fire and got a tow truck to bring me the rest of the way home. My car has been sitting in the driveway for a bit now and I finally have some money to think about fixing it. Does anyone have any idea what went wrong? I had a check engine light on for a while and it was believed to be related to the camshaft (timing belt?). Also I’ve seen that my car should have a chain online but I see what I believe is a belt. My oil pressure light came on before the trip but I had recently changed my oil and checked the level before I left and it was fine. The dip stick was dry last I checked and the belt seems to be in good condition. I had thought maybe a thrown rod or the timing belt went but the belt seems fine. I haven’t tried to start it for fear of causing more damage. Also if it matters about 5-10 minutes before this happened I had spaced shifting gears and was revving at like 6k rpms in a low gear. Thanks for any help
TLDR; loud pop lost power and flames dripping off bottom of car
Old Jan 19, 2019, 09:34 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Sounds like you lost a rod. Hard to say, though. Could be lots of things ,based on the info given.