Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

RRM Header

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2004, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RRM Header

Got my header installed today, love the way it looks and sounds, but one small glitch, feel a very slight difference in high rpm power, a lot louder at high rpm, but I can hear this little whistling sound, and almost a little rattlish at the same time, I'm 90% sure it aint an exhaust leak, cuz there's no funky smells at all in the engine bay, or underneath the car. I followed rrm's torque specs to a T. Anyone else noticing this with the header? Any help is appreciated. Also, here's the pics.
Attached Thumbnails RRM Header-dsc00836.jpg   RRM Header-dsc00837.jpg  
Old May 5, 2004, 06:14 PM
Account Disabled

little colorfull engine bay...weird but i like it
Old May 5, 2004, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks, but totally not helpful, the intake's gone when the turbo get s here anyway, that's what throws the color scheme off.
Old May 6, 2004, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Check to make sure the o2 sensor is in tightly, i had that same problem, and the downpipe and everything else is connected tightly.

I had an exhaust leak, and it made a weazing noise, prob one your hearing, it didnt smell bad so it took time to finally realize it was an exhaust leak, but i found it by just listening underneath the car while it was idling. Try doing that, or have a friend rev it a little for u.

GOod luck - and just take some time and go real slow and go over everything 2 times.
Old May 6, 2004, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

if you are running a header + test pipe, that could cause a whiney kinda noise. I had that issue with my RRM header .. it almost sounded like i had an exhaust leak. removing my test pipe and re-installing the factory cat resolved it.
Old May 6, 2004, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

no test pipe, factory exhaust pipes, and went over every bolt with a torque wrench three times, layed underneath the car, sound is definatley coming from underneath, so at least it's not coming from the manifold itself. I can only hear it good when I driving, especially when I'm gettin on the throttle, but as soon as I let off, the sound goes away, If it's parked and I just rev it, I still can't hear it that good. I was reading another forum and some one said they talked to rrm about this, and they said it's normal, cuz if it's an exhaust leak, technically couldn't I still hear it when it's just idling, because I can't. If anyone could shed some light, I'd appreciate it. I just hate hearing, "it's normal, ignore it" It almost sounds like it's coming from that honeycomb design pipe underneath that's real flexible, don't know what's that called, so forgive my desciption of the part. thanks again guys.
Old May 6, 2004, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

that sucks if its coming from your flex pipe. Buschur makes one for $250! ******!
Old May 6, 2004, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

are u talking about the down pipe? it could be from that, u could of scrathed it and caused a hole or a leak in it. Just keep checking.
Old May 6, 2004, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SIMSSEGA
Buschur makes one for $250! ******!
Just read that, found it to be pretty friggin funny. Anyway, ya that's where the sound seems to be coming from, not from the manifold itself. By the way, for anyone who has a header, wtf is up with that stupid bracket the mounts the header to the block down at the bottom of the down pipe. That friggin thing didn't line up for sh*t. I just left it off, seemed really secure still without it.
Old May 8, 2004, 05:03 PM
Evolving Member

well, found out after scratching my head for awhile, it was a leak, went down to the ******** at mitsu and got a new flange gasket, installed it, leak got worse, i'm like wtf! Take it back off, and look at the gasket, one side's inner ring is wider than the other's. I figure that's gotta be it, so I reverse it and reinstall it, bam, leak gone. So just in case anyone has the same prob, that's the remedy for it. Anyone who gets a header, I reccommend getting new gaskets too. Love the header, but after I installed the new gasket, there's now this wierd burning smell, anyone have an idea of what it could be?