EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Lancer Troubleshooting (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-troubleshooting-60/)
-   -   engine wont turn over (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-troubleshooting/463136-engine-wont-turn-over.html)

lancerguy0208 Dec 12, 2009 04:00 PM

engine wont turn over

It cranks but doesnt start. I have power to the coils but no spark. All fuses are good. What could be the problem?

Boostedlancer$ Dec 12, 2009 04:24 PM

what type of work have you done to the motor recently? i did the timing belt on my car and i busted the crank sensor.

lancerguy0208 Dec 12, 2009 04:48 PM

I changed the battery to an Optima Yellow Top a couple days ago and had no problems. I drove it twice today with no problems. I disconnected only the + terminal after that to put a height adapter in so my tie down would work, and its been a problem ever since.

03lances Dec 12, 2009 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Boostedlancer$ (Post 7792713)
what type of work have you done to the motor recently? i did the timing belt on my car and i busted the crank sensor.

+1^^ The crank sensor is what tells the computer when to fire the plugs. Have you checked all the plugs? If so this is most likely the case. I good investment is a code reader, you can get them from $50 on up. Very nice to have, ya you can get your car scanned for free but what do you do in times like this? I have a nice scanner and I will never go without one again, Just a thought...

Jglenn0688 Dec 13, 2009 09:29 PM

Im having kinda the same problem. i dont have a code reader. i really need one, i know!. i'm not getting any spark what so ever so i replaced the crank sensor and its still not the problem. i've been told it could be the cam shaft sensor but if so wouldn't the car still run? what could be wrong with my car? im confused

03lances Dec 14, 2009 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jglenn0688 (Post 7795996)
Im having kinda the same problem. i dont have a code reader. i really need one, i know!. i'm not getting any spark what so ever so i replaced the crank sensor and its still not the problem. i've been told it could be the cam shaft sensor but if so wouldn't the car still run? what could be wrong with my car? im confused

Normally yes your car would still run if this was the case, poorly but should still run. Check for power to your coils first. Have you checked to confirm no spark on all plugs? No spark could be bad plugs, bad coils, bad wires, no power. I know this may sound dumb but have you checked all your fuses regardless of what it says its for? I would do this too, it might be a relay maybe?

imalancerman Dec 14, 2009 10:02 AM

Actually, heres my story for the camshaft sensor. I bought a mirage head from a junkyard and put it on my motor and the sensing piece of metal the sensor detects was missing from the end of the camshaft, therefore acting as though my sensor was bad since it wasnt sensing anything. The end result was that I had absolutely no spark to my coils. So, If your getting spark, the camshaft sensor isnt the culprit. The next step is to check for fuel. I know you might not have done many things before it quit, but the steps are usually spark, fuel, then compression test. Ive found all my problems usually within the first two. So check the spark from all four plugs, then verify that you are getting fuel. And if all that comes back as good, then compression test and leakdown.

Jglenn0688 Dec 15, 2009 09:39 AM

i actuallty talked to a mitsubishi dealership mechanic on the phone today and he told me that the camshaft sensor intermingles with the crankshaft sensor. he said that if the camshaft sensor was bad then it wouldn't be sending the position of the cams to tell which plug to fire. I.E. no spark. im not sure if this is absolutely the problem yet but i have ordered the part and now i'll just have to wait. thanks for the quick replies though.

lancerguy0208 Dec 16, 2009 08:07 AM

It was just a stupid fuse missing. Oh well, at least it didnt cost me anything to fix.

03lances Dec 16, 2009 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by 03lances (Post 7796309)
Normally yes your car would still run if this was the case, poorly but should still run. Check for power to your coils first. Have you checked to confirm no spark on all plugs? No spark could be bad plugs, bad coils, bad wires, no power. I know this may sound dumb but have you checked all your fuses regardless of what it says its for? I would do this too, it might be a relay maybe?

Nuff said...

Jglenn0688 Dec 17, 2009 08:31 AM

which fuse was it if u dont mind me asking? i just wanna know just in case my car dont crank after i replace the cam sensor

03lances Dec 17, 2009 10:27 AM

My guess would be the ignition fuse as that would cause no spark. Why are you gonna replace the cam sensor still if there is nothing wrong with it?

Jglenn0688 Dec 18, 2009 07:22 PM

The mitsubishi mechanic told me that if i replaced the crank sensor and it didn't work then the cam sensor is most likely the problem. i'll find out tomorrow when i put it in

imalancerman Dec 18, 2009 08:10 PM

Good ol mitsu mechanics. You know, ive read more negative reviews on mitsubishi certified mechanics and how they sell you stuff you dont need than i have on any other type of certified mechanic. And i am talking about the stealership mechanics. In my experience, they have horrible customer service, and after the third time they tried to sell me something i didnt need, i stopped going to them for help. their answer usually is "well this MIGHT fix it. all we can do is try." Anyways, sorry for the rant, but i hope the piece fixes your problem.

lilazn64 Dec 18, 2009 08:15 PM

I had a problem like this last year in the cold. Turns out I blew out the fuse to my fuel pump. I believe it's a 15amp and I just swapped it out with the windshield wiper fuse so I could get my car started to go buy some fuses at the local auto store.