Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

engine wont turn over

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2009, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine wont turn over

It cranks but doesnt start. I have power to the coils but no spark. All fuses are good. What could be the problem?
Old Dec 12, 2009, 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

what type of work have you done to the motor recently? i did the timing belt on my car and i busted the crank sensor.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

I changed the battery to an Optima Yellow Top a couple days ago and had no problems. I drove it twice today with no problems. I disconnected only the + terminal after that to put a height adapter in so my tie down would work, and its been a problem ever since.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boostedlancer$
what type of work have you done to the motor recently? i did the timing belt on my car and i busted the crank sensor.
+1^^ The crank sensor is what tells the computer when to fire the plugs. Have you checked all the plugs? If so this is most likely the case. I good investment is a code reader, you can get them from $50 on up. Very nice to have, ya you can get your car scanned for free but what do you do in times like this? I have a nice scanner and I will never go without one again, Just a thought...
Old Dec 13, 2009, 09:29 PM

Im having kinda the same problem. i dont have a code reader. i really need one, i know!. i'm not getting any spark what so ever so i replaced the crank sensor and its still not the problem. i've been told it could be the cam shaft sensor but if so wouldn't the car still run? what could be wrong with my car? im confused
Old Dec 14, 2009, 01:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jglenn0688
Im having kinda the same problem. i dont have a code reader. i really need one, i know!. i'm not getting any spark what so ever so i replaced the crank sensor and its still not the problem. i've been told it could be the cam shaft sensor but if so wouldn't the car still run? what could be wrong with my car? im confused
Normally yes your car would still run if this was the case, poorly but should still run. Check for power to your coils first. Have you checked to confirm no spark on all plugs? No spark could be bad plugs, bad coils, bad wires, no power. I know this may sound dumb but have you checked all your fuses regardless of what it says its for? I would do this too, it might be a relay maybe?
Old Dec 14, 2009, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Actually, heres my story for the camshaft sensor. I bought a mirage head from a junkyard and put it on my motor and the sensing piece of metal the sensor detects was missing from the end of the camshaft, therefore acting as though my sensor was bad since it wasnt sensing anything. The end result was that I had absolutely no spark to my coils. So, If your getting spark, the camshaft sensor isnt the culprit. The next step is to check for fuel. I know you might not have done many things before it quit, but the steps are usually spark, fuel, then compression test. Ive found all my problems usually within the first two. So check the spark from all four plugs, then verify that you are getting fuel. And if all that comes back as good, then compression test and leakdown.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 09:39 AM

i actuallty talked to a mitsubishi dealership mechanic on the phone today and he told me that the camshaft sensor intermingles with the crankshaft sensor. he said that if the camshaft sensor was bad then it wouldn't be sending the position of the cams to tell which plug to fire. I.E. no spark. im not sure if this is absolutely the problem yet but i have ordered the part and now i'll just have to wait. thanks for the quick replies though.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 08:07 AM
Evolving Member

It was just a stupid fuse missing. Oh well, at least it didnt cost me anything to fix.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03lances
Normally yes your car would still run if this was the case, poorly but should still run. Check for power to your coils first. Have you checked to confirm no spark on all plugs? No spark could be bad plugs, bad coils, bad wires, no power. I know this may sound dumb but have you checked all your fuses regardless of what it says its for? I would do this too, it might be a relay maybe?
Nuff said...
Old Dec 17, 2009, 08:31 AM

which fuse was it if u dont mind me asking? i just wanna know just in case my car dont crank after i replace the cam sensor
Old Dec 17, 2009, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

My guess would be the ignition fuse as that would cause no spark. Why are you gonna replace the cam sensor still if there is nothing wrong with it?
Old Dec 18, 2009, 07:22 PM

The mitsubishi mechanic told me that if i replaced the crank sensor and it didn't work then the cam sensor is most likely the problem. i'll find out tomorrow when i put it in
Old Dec 18, 2009, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Good ol mitsu mechanics. You know, ive read more negative reviews on mitsubishi certified mechanics and how they sell you stuff you dont need than i have on any other type of certified mechanic. And i am talking about the stealership mechanics. In my experience, they have horrible customer service, and after the third time they tried to sell me something i didnt need, i stopped going to them for help. their answer usually is "well this MIGHT fix it. all we can do is try." Anyways, sorry for the rant, but i hope the piece fixes your problem.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 08:15 PM
Evolving Member

I had a problem like this last year in the cold. Turns out I blew out the fuse to my fuel pump. I believe it's a 15amp and I just swapped it out with the windshield wiper fuse so I could get my car started to go buy some fuses at the local auto store.

Quick Reply: engine wont turn over