Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

'03 Impreza WRX vs '03 O-Z Lancer

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2002, 11:07 PM
In Timeout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WRX Drivers: Puck Puck Puuuuuuuck

WRX is a nice, fast car, but for some reason, when we are down on the 280, the WRX drivers always lay back after the initial quarter mile or so. I don't mean to put anybody down, it's just my personal observation. They may have the faster car, but I've got bigger b@lls, and fancier tricks. In a different but related observation, I have never seen a Rex or Lan pulled over by the CHP. Plenty of Hondas, Porsches and beaters. Could this be due to the fact that both cars are still relatively rare imports, or is it because there are a ton of Hondas, Porsches and beaters in and around the Bay Area? Oh yeah, and a hooked up Lancer looks and seems so much more intimidating that a Scooby Rex. Any Rex owner who tunes will know that the hooked Lan driver is one serious sumb1tch, or at least someone who has dedicated mucho denaro specifically to owning his Rex @ss! Am I wrong here?

Last edited by BOOYAH1369; Nov 15, 2002 at 11:12 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2002, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

I think that cars like the lancer have a tendency to produce better drivers. I mean, the Lancer isn't like a Civic where it is out, just waiting to be plucked from a tree. You really have to seek out a Lancer, love it, care for it, and just in general put up with the "lackluster" parts of it. Not all cars are like that. Not saying they are better, but, that they are more middle of the road. Anyway, most people don't just get stuck in a Lancer. Also, you really have to learn neat little tricks and driving skill to compensate for things that other drivers never think of, or require. I think that translates to this car being something of a sleeper.
Old Nov 15, 2002, 11:17 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

FWD's tend to accelerate better after they finally get traction. At equal HP in a longer race (let's say a mile) the FWD should always win. Hence the reason FWD cars have a faster finish time in 1/4 mi races assuming equal finishing times.

(We get shorted on just about everything else...traction, cornering etc. At least we get the least in drivetrain losses)

Last edited by HobieKopek; Nov 15, 2002 at 11:21 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2002, 11:21 PM
In Timeout

I agree...and with the Progress springs, I can finally feel the road, I mean, really. As we discussed earlier, I gave back the '03 ES because I felt that I was going to get groceries when I drove it. I can't honestly say that about the O-Z, especially now. The more I tune it, the better it responds, and the car actually seems alot happier. I have yet to drive a recent Imprezza. Guess I ought to check one out this weekend. I find that many Rex drivers either look like they just smoked a blunt, or are picking up the kids and heading home from Costco. What an extreme.

I think I'll get the LSD before the turbo. No blunts. My wife gets the groceries. I mean, I am investing my money towards the single goal of owning all ricers on the 280. German engineered automobiles? That's a toughie. New Nissans? Guile will win over pure speed, especially in on-again off-again gridlock.

Last edited by BOOYAH1369; Nov 15, 2002 at 11:25 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2002, 11:25 PM
Evolved Member

You realize that the OZ is in actuality SLOWER than the ES, right?
Old Nov 15, 2002, 11:30 PM
In Timeout

Looks count. In my book. Folks with WAY faster cars slow down and try to intimidate me into racing them. A guy yelled out his window today asking if my car was a Lexus. A LEXUS! Dude, I do not doubt that you own the faster car, but do you get people yelling out their window at you? I found LF the same way. Another O-Z driver, Lab Blk Pearl, just like mine, yelled out his window at me... "Go to LancerForums.com!" And Voila!
Old Nov 15, 2002, 11:31 PM
Evolving Member

yeah that's true. the ES is faster than the OZ because of the weight and aerodynamics of the lip on our OZ's. I'd rather look pretty damn cool and not be as fast as an ES. well until that turbo comes waltzing under my hood. just my feelings.
Old Nov 15, 2002, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

Only thing I see wrong with the ES is that it has no pretenses that the OZ has. It looks about as fast as it is, and the OZ really is the reason for the heat being brought down on the Lancer, seeing as it is the ultimate sheep in wolf's clothes.

Oh, and I have had people ask me what kind of car it is, but, instead of it being lexus, it's usually BMW, which I think is a bigger complement.
Old Nov 15, 2002, 11:38 PM
In Timeout

touche

2shaye

Actually I checked out 2 used ESs 2day at a Toyota dealer near me. The salesman said $11K or 300/month with nothing down for the '02. Automatic. So dude, I have heard one person on LF say that after hooking up (read: turbo) their Lan, they are not satisfied, and, as a matter of fact, they're bored and they want a Rex. Opinion?

Last edited by BOOYAH1369; Nov 15, 2002 at 11:43 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2002, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

I say what's their name, and how shoddy of a turbo setup have they got? Just kidding on the last part. I'd like to hear this argument from someone who has a fairly rare, *should be* nicely performing car and wants to trade it for a much more common vehicle?
Old Nov 26, 2002, 02:32 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
what a rex that has a mitsubishi for its turbo?
Old Nov 26, 2002, 03:00 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Compare the front ends of a Lancer and an IS300 and I think you'll see they do share a few basic lines.
Old Nov 26, 2002, 03:02 PM
In Timeout

I agree. You know, you once said something about how it's not just the vehicle performance, but the driver's experience, as well.

You know, dude, LAN drivers can drive, and in the Bay Area, they are a fearless bunch! I've yet to see a Rex driver, in my own area, who drives his/her car like they're on a circuit!

Death is everywhere when I drive. I see dead people on the side of the road with their cars totalled on a weekly basis.

I drive my LAN like it's the last car I'll ever drive, and we're on the HIGHWAY TO HELL!
Old Nov 26, 2002, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

WRX STi > Evo Power
Turbo OZ > Evo Price

I would have my lancer over an Evo 7* anyday. The evo7 & 8 are ugly to me. The Evo 6 is the best evo ever. Evo 7 looks like a fricken honda accord family car.
Old Nov 26, 2002, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Think you got your little ">" things backwards... remember, the alligator eats the bigger number/thing.

Quick Reply: '03 Impreza WRX vs '03 O-Z Lancer