Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

a detailed review of the new wrx sti

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2002, 09:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 102 Likes on 51 Posts
a detailed review of the new wrx sti

http://www.apexjapan.com/news/sti8/sti8.html

my favorite part:

Off-the-line response was immediate, a rational-thought-erasing grin generator. Nothing less than a complete rework of the intake, turbo and exhaust system had occurred, creating power way down low - it's making roughly 230ft/lb's of torque at 2400rpm - and continues on to a back-slapping midrange that holds on till about 6500rpm, then eases into it's redline at 7500rpm. Max torque? 286ft/lbs!! Yet still they claim it still only makes 276hp despite the fact that torque has increased dramatically throughout the entire rev-range. Our opinion points at somewhere just north of 300hp. Numbers are impressive, but what really shook my booty was the instant response once you've passed 2000rpm. It felt quite a bit closer to a big NA motor than most turbo's I've sampled, with linear response to the boom-boom pedal instead of the usual rubberband ramp-up of past STi's. This is mostly due to reworked intake, extractors and exhaust system in conjunction with a new-to-Subaru Twin Scroll turbo unit.
not trolling - just throwing it out there. this review got me drooling! and unlike the evo, subaru is actually letting people play with its cars so that they can generate real hype

-bd
Old Nov 20, 2002, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bah, no testing specs. It seems from my quick read that they finally fixed the Imprezas super-happy-sideways-*** happy fetish thru the corners. Finally.
Old Nov 20, 2002, 09:29 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Well...dianan should have the same kind of review in a little bit. I guess we'll see.
Old Nov 20, 2002, 09:31 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

Yes it is a pretty sweet car. But most of the new improved goodies will not be included on the US model like the twin scroll turbo, equal length headers, DCCD, and probably not even the strengthened internals (not sure about that last one though). Paul Hansen can vouch for that or take a look at 4Car.

BTW, doesn't this belong in Other Cars?
Old Nov 20, 2002, 09:33 PM
EvoM Guru

as long as i'm poting subaru stuff...

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/foru...?s=&forumid=63 for all your sti rumor needs.

the memo thread says that it's coming march '03.

-bd
Old Nov 20, 2002, 09:34 PM
EvoM Guru

oh, good point about 'other cars'. i dunno, for some reason the sti rumors feel like they should be with the evo rumors

-bd
Old Nov 20, 2002, 09:37 PM
EvoM Guru

http://www.4car.co.uk/jsp/main.jsp?lnk=220&pageid=4795

is that the thing youre talking about? the "only japan gets the good stuff" part?

-bd
Old Nov 21, 2002, 10:13 AM
RaX
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Butt Dyno
http://www.4car.co.uk/jsp/main.jsp?lnk=220&pageid=4795

is that the thing youre talking about? the "only japan gets the good stuff" part?

-bd
Yep. Also Paul's comment is in this thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...1&pagenumber=4

So basically it's gonna be watered down Evo vs. watered down STi.
Old Nov 22, 2002, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

If that just came out for japan I don't think it's coming here. I think your right Rax watered down.
Old Nov 22, 2002, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

I have a question and it may not belong in this post but reading it made me think of it and I am sure that some who read this post have read the posts concerning EI importing the EVO VII. Specifically the potential problems that they are or might be running into durning the importation process. Would it be reasonable to believe that once the new STi and EVO VIII come to the states that because there is a similar model to compare them to that one could, with a little less struggle, import the JDM models. Now I confess that I have not read all of the posts regarding EI's import woes but I do recall that it might be easier to import a car if there is a model already stateside that has similarities.