Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

EVO vs the Infiniti G35 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2002, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO vs the Infiniti G35 Coupe

I am so torn. I am on a waiting list for the EVO, but I just started looking into alternatives in case of a poor US spec EVO or dealer markups, and started to fall for the Infiniti G35 coupe. For those of you who haven't seen it, it is completely different from the G35 sedan. It has the same FM chassis & engine (280 hp) as the 350Z. The same 6-speed trans & Brembo brakes as the Z. The exhaust note is supposed to sound pretty wicked. It has a leg up on the Z since it has a back seat, but is about 200lbs heavier than the Z. I think the car is gorgeous. It is a little pricey but you get alot more than the EVO. If there are dealer markups on the EVO, I am going to get one for sure. I can't wait till they release solid info on the EVO, and the LA Auto show to get a good look at the EVO. I am torn between all out performace/better price/4 doors on the EVO vs. the luxury/none rice image/cool looks of the G35. I think they are both pretty tuneable and have similar dry weather handling. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Does anybody own a G35 Coupe? I wouldn't mind getting an honest opinion. I am planning on test driving one in the next few weeks.

Last edited by sanjaya1; Dec 2, 2002 at 10:31 AM.
Old Dec 2, 2002, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

After riding in a G35 Coupe. I would get the G35. Granted, the EVO 8 is a great car, however, the dealer markup will be to much on the Evo. The G35 is a beautiful car and ultra comfortable. Test drive one and you'll see. But if it was a toss up between the G35 and the 350 Z in regards to performance. 350 Z all the way.

my .02
Old Dec 2, 2002, 12:13 PM

I am having the same debate. The 4 doors and AWD are very atractive on the EVO, but I'm not fond of the ricer image. The G35 coupe is a great looking car. Although it'll probably be slower I think it would have the edge on cornering. I plan on testing one soon. The only other drawback to the Infinity is the lack of dealers. The closest one to me is over an hour away. I worry about a service nightmare. A friend of mine, also interested in the G35 said the dealer would take a loaner out to him and pick his car up for any needed repairs. That would be a huge plus. Though that, I'm sure, ends with the warrentee.

I susspect the G35 to be tuneable with parts that work with the 350 z. Just a matter of time.

Keep me posted on which direcection you go. Currently I'm waiting for the specs on the EVO and a test drive of the G35 before I make my decision.
Old Dec 2, 2002, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I think HKS is working on a street legal turbo for the 350Z in the 400-500hp range. That should be a direct bolt on to the G35. I doubt I will want to get that extreme, but a G35 coupe with 340hp with chip, intake and exhaust seems reasonable. I have a lot of Infiniti dealers around me since I am close to LA, and apparently they have great service including a free loaner car for warranty work.

My real problem is that I am a 29 year old engineer. I am looking for a car that is a fun car to toss around as well as a reliable everyday driver. I feel a little young for the G35 Coupe since I think it's mainly targeting guys 35-40. I feel a little old for the EVO with it's rice image and that wing. Don't get me wrong, I would get it with the wing since that is a huge part of the image of the EVO and contributes to it's handling. But, it's hard to show up to a formal function (business or personal) in a riced out looking car (EVO) and be taken seriously. I wish I had the money to buy both, but unfortunately I am not financially there yet.

The problem with the G35 Coupe is that most of the dealers I called ordered them with all the extras (navigation, premium Pkg) that drives the price close to 38K, which is more than I want to spend on a car right now. One dealer close to my house has one for 42K with 19" wheels. I only want the 6-speed trim,which comes with 18" wheels, brembos and leather. I will probably get the factory aero pkg and sun roof, which I will only get because it makes it easier to sell a car with a sun roof in southern CA. That drives the price to about 34K. FOrtunately there is a dealer by my work who only does custom orders. The other problem is the 2 doors and small back seat. I don't mind, but my wife and infant son might not care about it.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Old Dec 2, 2002, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

is there a price difference between the 350z and teh g35... whats the point?
Old Dec 2, 2002, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

You want a bigger problem, try helping your 60 year old dad decide on which car he should buy, the 350 Z or the G35. He wanted a sports car, didnt want a vette, and he liked the 350 Z. Then we test drove a G35 and it was amazing. Actually, performance wise, the G35 will do 99 % of what the 350 will do, and it was actually faster through the slalom and pulled a better number on the skid pad. Either way, both cars ride awsome, the steering is about perfect, and the exhaust note.....welll lets say it gave me the chills....
Old Dec 2, 2002, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

I think the motortrend or edmunds test said that the G35 coupe handles a little better than the Z because of the longer wheelbase. I personally think the G35 Coupe looks a lot better than the Z. And that back seat is a huge factor for me between the G35 and the Z.

The G35 Coupe was one of the few cars that looked better in person than in magazine pictures.
Old Dec 2, 2002, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by sanjaya1
Yeah, I think HKS is working on a street legal turbo for the 350Z in the 400-500hp range. That should be a direct bolt on to the G35. I doubt I will want to get that extreme, but a G35 coupe with 340hp with chip, intake and exhaust seems reasonable. I have a lot of Infiniti dealers around me since I am close to LA, and apparently they have great service including a free loaner car for warranty work.

My real problem is that I am a 29 year old engineer. I am looking for a car that is a fun car to toss around as well as a reliable everyday driver. I feel a little young for the G35 Coupe since I think it's mainly targeting guys 35-40. I feel a little old for the EVO with it's rice image and that wing. Don't get me wrong, I would get it with the wing since that is a huge part of the image of the EVO and contributes to it's handling. But, it's hard to show up to a formal function (business or personal) in a riced out looking car (EVO) and be taken seriously. I wish I had the money to buy both, but unfortunately I am not financially there yet.

The problem with the G35 Coupe is that most of the dealers I called ordered them with all the extras (navigation, premium Pkg) that drives the price close to 38K, which is more than I want to spend on a car right now. One dealer close to my house has one for 42K with 19" wheels. I only want the 6-speed trim,which comes with 18" wheels, brembos and leather. I will probably get the factory aero pkg and sun roof, which I will only get because it makes it easier to sell a car with a sun roof in southern CA. That drives the price to about 34K. FOrtunately there is a dealer by my work who only does custom orders. The other problem is the 2 doors and small back seat. I don't mind, but my wife and infant son might not care about it.

I'll keep you guys posted.
I'm 35 and I know exactly what you mean about the wing. Personally I'd just as assume not get one but that doesn't appear to be an option. The choice is between the small wing and the huge one. The OZ spoiler looks horrible so I might just get the full monty. My wife badgers me to get a sedan because she is expecting. 99% of the time I drive by myself so I think I can get by with just back seats but 4 doors is a plus. Personally, from the spy pictures I've seen, the EVO looks pretty good from every angle - except the rear where that large wing is evident. One note: The Autoweek spy pics show an EVO without any wing....

You are lucky to have Infinity dealers nearby. I susspect there will be more one their popularity takes off. Infinity had a long period where they weren't producing quality/exciting products. With the G35 that is changing quickly.

From the G35 forums I keep reading about people who take it for a test drive and are disappointed with the performance aspect. Bascially- it looks faster than it is. Yes, you can probably turbo it in the future but then you're looking at a $40,000 car. Granted it would be sweet ride for sure....

Decsisons, decisions....
Old Dec 3, 2002, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

Actually the EVO looks good to us enthusiast. I doubt most people out there really care for the looks. In fact, most of them will think that some kid with a Lancer OZ blew all his money on a body kit and accessories. The EVO is a great, un-compromised performance vehicle. It's just not a very grown up or classy looking car compared to it's performance peers like the M3, 350Z or Audi S4. I know that as a result it costs a lot less than these other cars, but the facts are that as you start getting more involved with your career, appearances do matter. As superficial as that may seem, that's the way it goes. A Company CEO, VP or a customer will take you a lot more seriously for driving a classy car like the G35 Coupe even with the 2 doors and small back seat over driving a 4 door that looks riced out. Of course you do meet the occasional 40+ businessman that knows everything about the EVO. I am going to try test driving a G35 Coupe today. I’ll let you guys know my impression since I am a hard to please car guy. I will still keep my options open till I see the EVO and talk to the sales lady about the price.
Old Dec 3, 2002, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

I don't think the Evo has a rice image. It's the very opposite of rice. The only "flashy" thing I see about the exterior is the tall wing, but that serves a functional purpose.
I agree that the G35 Coupe is a very interesting car. For those of you that are caught between the Evo and the G35C, why not consider the RX-8? It has decent power, great handling (50:50 weight distribution and low CG), a usable back seat with suicide doors, and I think it looks pretty good.
Old Dec 3, 2002, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

That is another car that I want to check out at the LA Autoshow. The problem is that the rotary engines really aren't know for their longevity. Not to mention that Nissan has a much better reputation for reliability over Mazda. I am not sure what kind of mileage I'll put on my next car or how long I'll keep it. But I need to take into consideration all the driving I do, which is necessary to get around in CA. My current car is a 98 and I am pushing 100K miles. Also, I really don't care for that suicide door. Too Saturn like or gay in my opinion. Who knows what I will think about it after I see it in person. I think it's supposed to have less power than the G35, but it might be a little cheaper.
Old Dec 3, 2002, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

actually rotarty engines are extremely reliable if u take good care of them... most let there seals go and o rings break down and once the main one goes u r f!cked pretty much have to rebuild it or go and buy a new one... my uncle has a rx7 and the engine has lasted longer then any of the other cars he has and he takes extremely good care of all his cars.... infact im goin down there to see him soon cause he is gonna buy the redun boxter and im gonna take it for a spin
Old Dec 3, 2002, 10:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Well, I'm 31 so I'll weigh in on the "thirtysomething" subject. I too had initial reservations concerning the big wing. But, like someone else pointed out, it's completely functional. Also, most ricers have no power, just gaudy stickers and loud exhausts. If anyone thinks it's a ricer, then they don't know anything about cars, and who cares about them. People who know cars understand what the evo is. Besides, who the hell cares what people think. We're not in high school anymore

e in la
Old Dec 3, 2002, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

why talk about the rx-8 when 1) its not @ the dealers yet 2) we haven't gotten a clear sticker (dealer will probably have a 6 - 8000 dollar mark up) 3) he is looking a little sooner than the release of the rx-8. I would love to see that car, but .. WHEN...
Old Dec 3, 2002, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

"From the G35 forums I keep reading about people who take it for a test drive and are disappointed with the performance aspect. Bascially- it looks faster than it is. Yes, you can probably turbo it in the future but then you're looking at a $40,000 car. Granted it would be sweet ride for sure...."

I test drove one, and I test drove the Z. I think they are both plety fast. Yea I do own a SLO Z rally, but I have driven the old 300 ZXtt, a 2000 Vette, WRX, etc. They both handle great, and have more than enough go for me around town. It all comes back to my old measuring stick for speed. (devised this one when I was 10 and read car mags way too much, no wonder I had no friends in grade school, lol) If it does 0-60 in under 6 seconds, its fast.

Im sure many of you do not agree, will not agree, etc. Oh well. By the way I realize the comments you made were comments from other people. Im not trying to start an agruement, just offer another opinion.

Quick Reply: EVO vs the Infiniti G35 Coupe