Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

How much power can you make with $1900 in mods?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2005, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much power can you make with $1900 in mods?

I used to own a WRX and have alot of friends with EVOs, so I used to post on here. I wanted to share my experience with how things are going with my 2004 Cobra.

After all the simple bolt ons and a very conservative tune, putting down 460hp, 490trq, the car went 11.77 @ 118mph on my old tune, I felt the car had more in it. So I slapped on a 2lb lower pulley (which was given to me for free by a friend who went KB) which should give me approximately 2psi of boost. We slapped the baby back on the dyno and retuned it.. this time with a AFR of 12:1 and timing at 22deg of advance.. it put down:

482hp, 528trq.

I took it to the track and let the engine cool down fully, iced down the blower, and ran a best of 11.54 @ 121.24, with a 1.75 60'. The launch wasn't all that great, it bogged just a little. That was the best of the night.

Well recently, about last week the same friend gave me another intake to try out. This particular intake took the filter and slapped it into the fender, along with the MAF so it doesn't mess up the readings. I was skeptical since I only was able to run a 9" filter, to my K&N 12". But it did replace the factory upper pipe. So I did it anyways.

Went to the dyno the next day, and came out with this:

The best part was that we didn't even retune the car. The only change was the intake.. and AFR's richened to 11.7:1 AND it picked up more power.

Mods are: Long tubes, catless X pipe, catback, upper/lower pulley and intake. Roughly $1900.

Went to a really crappy prepped track that was crowded and ran:

11.71 @ 122.74mph w/ crappy 1.96 60'

That was with no ice on the blower, and the car was fully warm by the time I did the burnout.

Here's the vid of the 11.51 @ 121mph pass:

wally vs marc (cobra vs Z28)

Enjoy and let the AWD vs. RWD wars begin.

Last edited by Big Turkey; Feb 9, 2005 at 01:05 PM.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Hey wheres the video ??? and by the way NO FAIR!! those cars are wayyyyyy to easy to mod loll anyway man great numbers keep it up
Old Feb 9, 2005, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

WOAH!! Wow im speechless look at that powr curve. That AFR looks like you drew it with a ruler! Very nice man. Max torque around 3700rpm~!!
Old Feb 9, 2005, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Isn't the tq and hp supposed to cross around 5200 RPM's and not 4700?

Awesome power out of that also. Nothin like a blown V8 to put down some wicked high numbers.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 01:07 PM

Fixed the link to the vid, sorry about that guys.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

So what exactly is your definition of BONE STOCK? I believe I seen it say that in the video for both cars, yet neither of them sounded BONE STOCK.

How could a STOCK Z28 beat a 500whp supercharged mustang?
Doesnt make sense. Can you please explain.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by EVOONYOASS
So what exactly is your definition of BONE STOCK? I believe I seen it say that in the video for both cars, yet neither of them sounded BONE STOCK.

How could a STOCK Z28 beat a 500whp supercharged mustang?
Doesnt make sense. Can you please explain.
It was a joke. Obviously, both of us are not bone stock.

The Camaro has heads/cam, built 347, 3500RPM stall and the other bolt ons.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Big Turkey
It was a joke. Obviously, both of us are not bone stock.

The Camaro has heads/cam, built 347, 3500RPM stall and the other bolt ons.
LOL Sorry bout that! I missed the joke, but very impressive #'s to say the least.

When the camaro did the burnout, I was like NO ****ing way that is stock. You could hear the cams and the exhaust tone gave it away.

Mad props to you on the cobra. You can easily throw a few mods on them and put out some impressive #'s. I know someone running th KB setup and he says its not enough for him. He is thinking of going turbo too.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Terry S
Isn't the tq and hp supposed to cross around 5200 RPM's and not 4700?
You are absolutely correct. Since horsepower is a mathematical derivative of torque, the curves MUST cross at 5250rpm. If they do not, the dyno is not properly calibrated and the readings are skewed.

Nevertheless, that is an impressively quick car.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 02:28 PM

The numbers are actual numbers and are not SAE corrected. The reason we did not correct it is because we installed the intake and wanted to see the difference the intake made.. not the weather or any other affect.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Big Turkey
The numbers are actual numbers and are not SAE corrected. The reason we did not correct it is because we installed the intake and wanted to see the difference the intake made.. not the weather or any other affect.
Dyno correction software is irrelevant in this discussion. Mathematics dictate that the curves cross at 5250, irrespective of any correction. You can have the same car on the same properly-configured dyno and correct one run and not the other, yet both plots will cross at 5250.

The formula is as follows:

(Horsepower x 5250)/Rpm = foot-pounds

(Foot-pounds x rpm)/5250 = Horsepower

There is no deviation.

That being said, supercharged Cobras can definietly be beasts with only a few modifications.

Last edited by smittyinva; Feb 10, 2005 at 12:28 PM.