Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

My Evo feels slow...What happened?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2005, 07:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Evo feels slow...What happened?

Haha, ok we just bought an 02 Z06 and I have been driving it for about a week so, today I get in the Evo and im like WTF? Wheres the power at!! I used to say the same thing when we had our S2K and would drive that for a bit and get in the Evo, I'd be like damn that S is slow Hehe now the tables have turned. All I can say is the Z06 is badass. It handles awesome, feels very tight and the torque is insane (lol not to mention freeway speeds) Hopefully I'll have my cams installed in a 2 weeks and maybe water injection, if WORKS has it ready maybe that will make it gain some ground

One thing I did like about the Evo, is the short shifter compared to stock in the Z06 (well for now) Once I get some mods on the Z06 the poor Evo wont stand a chance even with all my mods, unless I upgrade the turbo.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 08:56 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on you new car. I always wondered how does the steering feel one Z06. Is it really slow but with good feel?
Old Jul 6, 2005, 09:08 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks

The steering actually feels pretty good. Its not as quick as the Evo obviously, but it feels pretty sharp. I have taken some quick turns in it and it handles awesome. The car feels very rigid and stable going around turns.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

I wouldn't worry about it. I think that vette is quite a bit lighter than the evo. I know if you are driving a convertable z6 then chevy made that body style really strong to compensate for the lack of a permanent roof.

Congrats and good luck
Old Jul 7, 2005, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

With all the mods on your EVO? You pretty much just have a flash, turboback, and intake. While your EVO should be quicker than stock, I'd say with those mods for a 2003 youd most likely run anywhere from 12.8-13.0@105-107MPH. That is fast, but the Z06 runs anywhere from 12.4-12.8@110-114MPH stock. Cams and water injection should make things a little more interesting. The Z06 is an awesome car by the way, your lucky to have two the most awesome performance vehicles on the road.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

nice....I've always thought about getting a Z06 in the longrun, but everytime I came to decision time, I've always picked the other car...maybe because I never test drove one ......I will definately get inside one in the future...maybe a 06' Z06
Old Jul 7, 2005, 07:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
hehe.. Bitten by the V8 bug.. In reality the performance between the two cars isnt as different as you'd think.. The big difference is the amazing torque that v8 has, so driving around every day, the car feels so much more powerful.. Stock for stock the z06 is just a quicker car.. and given average drivers, their pretty similar in performance.. Its just that v8 feels sooooooooooooo nice and you can feel it pull almost anywhere you put the RPM's, where the turbo 4 feels like your waiting for the power to hit, so it feels weak.

The evo's not a weak car, and from personal experience its always been a good match to the Z06's I've come up against, but the advantages of the z06 are its aerodynamics and torque, and you can just feel those differences easily..

Congrats on the new car, I came close to picking one up last year as a summer car.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Wow! congrats on getting that monster C6, 500+HP from the factory stock .... lucky man!!! An EVO might be able to keep up given the track but on the straight line there is no comparison .... I noticed all your cars are/have been yellow .... what's the matter, are you yella? (joke)
Old Jul 7, 2005, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
Wow! congrats on getting that monster C6, 500+HP from the factory stock .... lucky man!!! An EVO might be able to keep up given the track but on the straight line there is no comparison .... I noticed all your cars are/have been yellow .... what's the matter, are you yella? (joke)
the new c6 z06 would absolutey destroy the evo n ne comparison. Dont get me wrong i love my evo but theres no way i am keeping up with a z06
Old Jul 7, 2005, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

twas an 02 z06 with 405 hp............new one isnt out yet.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 08:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by PEOPLExpress
the new c6 z06 would absolutey destroy the evo n ne comparison. Dont get me wrong i love my evo but theres no way i am keeping up with a z06

Oh yeah..... I can't wait to see one of them up close .. Love the new looks of the new Vette to begin with..

I wonder when the "Second coming of horsepower" era will end though.. There has to be someone out there plotting to kill our fun..
Old Jul 7, 2005, 09:45 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by MalibuJack
I wonder when the "Second coming of horsepower" era will end though.. There has to be someone out there plotting to kill our fun..
I don't know, but it sure is fun going through this era. One of the big perks of this horsepower war is that a lot of formerly front drive cars that were running 175-200 HP are being switched over to rear/all drive as they reach 250-300 HP. FWD sucks!
Old Jul 7, 2005, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 3000ways
That is fast, but the Z06 runs anywhere from 12.4-12.8@110-114MPH stock.
Actually, they run 11.9-12.5@115-119. 355-365rwhp stock and 3150 lbs, they move. No stock turbo, pump gas Evo will be keeping up with one on the highway.

I had a C5 for about a year. The torque is definitely addicting and I will get another LS1/2-powered vehicle, just not a vette. I sold it for the Evo and have been happier ever since.

Get a Hurst if you want a REALLY short shifter. It's fairly notchy but it is lightyears better than that stock pos. I loved mine and was pissed I didnt get it sooner in my vette ownership. I also suggest Kooks longtubes with the stock titanium catback, beautiful sounding combo.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

Wow, didnt even realize there were that many replies Yeah its an 02, im not gonna pay $20K markup on a new Z06, I'll just wait till the market is flooded with them. Our Z06 has a Corsa exhaust that sounds mean as hell, were probably gonna do long tube headers and cams as well, oh and some drag radials (after the Evo get some more mods) Yeah we were at the track one day and a guy was running 11.9-12.2 with just and intake and exhaust.

I'd have to say first time we drove one was like first time driving the Evo, we had to get it. It only had 9K miles on it. We have since lowered it and have wheels on the way, I will get pix up when the wheels are on.

I think by next summer my Evo will crush it 1/4 mile wise (well at least beat it ) Im getting cams, ck2 clutch and chromoly flywheel from WORKS July 25th along with a rebuilt tranny from TRE, then as soon as they release the water injection, im getting that. Once they get their tuning down for the "white rabbit" I'll be upgrading the turbo too should give the Z some nice competition
Old Jul 7, 2005, 07:23 PM

Z06 is a sweet ride. Different cars all have their good attributes - big engine and torque, little engine and turbo rush. It's all good.

Quick Reply: My Evo feels slow...What happened?