Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

My daily beater is looking better and better

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2005, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My daily beater is looking better and better

I've been driving my old '92 Miata a lot lately. The better gas mileage is a great motivator and it's alot easier to drive the Miata at legal speeds ...
Anyway, the other day I noticed the rear brakes making a horrible sound... I took it immediately to the shop but it was too late and I'd ruined a rotor . Well, I had the brakes redone and while they had it up on the lift, we noticed that the shock absorbers were the original set!! Yeah, 1992 shocks with 142K miles I decided to get new shocks and had a set of Bilstein HD shocks installed with the original springs (those don't wear out and I did not want stiifer ride or drop). Those Bilsteins made an incredible difference.. The car rode like new . I also had the oil changed and a can of MOA additive put in and amazingly the lifter noise at start went away completely . Now I'm getting all pumped up. I decided to return my friends Panasport wheels to him and get rid of the Falken Azenis. Those tires are great for dry grip but they are scary in the wet and murder on the ride (the sidewalls are so stiff that they are practically run flat tires ). I replaced them with some very sweet 8 spoke 15" silver wheels and Toyo T1Rs....Anyhow, the car is looking pretty good and running great too. The ride is much better. I hope I have not lost too much in dry traction but I feel much safer on these new tires for all around driving.
What do you all think?

Old Sep 18, 2005, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ha, awesome
Old Sep 18, 2005, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Handmemyarms
ha, awesome
Thanks, I wonder how those wheels would look on an EVO ?
Old Sep 18, 2005, 10:44 PM
Evolved Member

nice lookin miata
Old Sep 18, 2005, 10:49 PM
Evolving Member

lol
beaters.. i drive a beater ... cause i dont have an evo yet.... ill take a picture of my beater... i just redid my radio cause i need a new one badly... it had the original speakers from 1990, they were blown and only 15 watts but now its fully loaded pioneers and a brand new jensen 200 watt radio

i love your miatta though.. but i wouldnt be able to fit in it. how much did you get the tire/rims for?

and my nissan still riding on the stock springs and shocks with 169000 miles oh and the stock clutch too AHHAHAA
Old Sep 18, 2005, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoLoverForever
lol
beaters.. i drive a beater ... cause i dont have an evo yet.... ill take a picture of my beater... i just redid my radio cause i need a new one badly... it had the original speakers from 1990, they were blown and only 15 watts but now its fully loaded pioneers and a brand new jensen 200 watt radio

i love your miatta though.. but i wouldnt be able to fit in it. how much did you get the tire/rims for?

and my nissan still riding on the stock springs and shocks with 169000 miles oh and the stock clutch too AHHAHAA
You wont believe it..... I paid for those wheels and tires (all 4 of them) mounted, balanced and with the tuner nuts, less that the cost of 2 Volks or Works wheels for the EVO Oh yeah, those wheels weight only 15 Lbs each...

I did get a very good deal though.... lets just say that most folks pay a whole lot more for one cheap EVO replacement tire than I paid for the wheel/tire combo complete with balance, lugs, mounting, etc.

Oh yeah, you really ought to change your shocks though... It will make your old car feel like new again, not to mention a lot safer

Last edited by silverEVO8; Sep 18, 2005 at 11:09 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2005, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NocturnalEVO
nice lookin miata
Thanks, it's also hella fun to drive in truth, it's much more "tossable" than the EVO although of course, there is no comparison between the two....
Old Sep 18, 2005, 11:18 PM
Evolved Member

Spec Miata races anyone? Someday I wanna get me a Miata and get it all ready for the Spec races... and paint it a really cool color...
Old Sep 18, 2005, 11:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by silverEVO8
You wont believe it..... I paid for those wheels and tires (all 4 of them) mounted, balanced and with the tuner nuts, less that the cost of 2 Volks or Works wheels for the EVO Oh yeah, those wheels weight only 15 Lbs each...

I did get a very good deal though.... lets just say that most folks pay a whole lot more for one cheap EVO replacement tire than I paid for the wheel/tire combo complete with balance, lugs, mounting, etc.

Oh yeah, you really ought to change your shocks though... It will make your old car feel like new again, not to mention a lot safer
it actually feels really good... and i dont do any racing.. so i dont expect to change them soon... not to mention im a senior in highschool and this is my first car. its a nice one though i constatly clean it and give it engine treatments and always just keep it clean.
Old Sep 18, 2005, 11:44 PM
Account Disabled

lol

yd u buy a jensen that just silly.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Isn't that a girls car?
Old Sep 19, 2005, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

it actually feels really good... and i dont do any racing.. so i dont expect to change them soon... not to mention im a senior in highschool and this is my first car. its a nice one though i constatly clean it and give it engine treatments and always just keep it clean.
Hey, I can understand having limited resources, I was a highschool kid one time too .... Although it's been a while, I still remember how hard it was to get my hands on actual cash. Still, it will definitely be worth spending some bucks on your shock absorbers. Even if you get some decent replacement units. Bilsteins are about the best but they are pricey. OTOH, the installation can be pretty expensive as it's a hard, time consuming job. You could save a ton by doing it yourself. Just be sure to borrow or rent the right tools and take your time..... Good luck
Old Sep 19, 2005, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

looks very good for a 92` daily beater.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evotec
looks very good for a 92` daily beater.
Thanks, I subscribe to the idea that just because it's a "beater" it does not have to look
bad or not be fun to drive
Old Sep 19, 2005, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Nice, Miata looks in mint condition.

Quick Reply: My daily beater is looking better and better