Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Airborn M5 wreck

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2008, 10:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everyone's so quick to blame street racing for everything! Street racing is dangerous because of public roads with other cars and pedestrians. His accident wasn't even on a public street.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Initial reports were that he was racing another BMW. Regardless, the kid was an idoit. And his parents are damn stupid too. There is only a very very very small percentage of people that age that can handle that car, and they've generally been racing since they were 4 yrs old and are already racing professionally.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

i saw the first initial reports saying that he did laps back and forth, but also said that they were all drinking. but i never saw anything about another bmw being involved.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 11:32 PM
Evolved Member

Truly tragic. RIP
Old Jan 30, 2008, 12:11 AM
Evolving Member

Of course we all here different stories but what I heard that he was driving back and forth on this airstrip and the last trip his brakes failed, we know that can happen eventually, guess he did'nt realize that brakes and fluid can get too hot!
Old Jan 30, 2008, 03:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lexat20
should have been driving a festiva
Originally Posted by TougeGod7
should have been driving a bicycle!!!
should not have been driving at all!! his pops shoulda got him a bus-pass.......
Old Jan 30, 2008, 08:06 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by AznX TL
i wouldnt consider this street racing, it was on a private airstrip. and the airstrip happens to be the biggest private airstrip in the US.
It's not street racing, but it's the same type of stupidity. Which is worse - Driving 140+ on a closed course vs driving 140+ on the street? If this kid hadn't piled up his father's car and died on the runway, what do you think he would have done when he got out on the road to go home?

Accidents do happen, but this wasn't an accident, it was gross error in judgment and lack of skill/experience. The same thing that goes into racing someone on a highway.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 08:08 AM
El Jefe

Originally Posted by DSMorBUST
should not have been driving at all!! his pops shoulda got him a bus-pass.......
He had a legal license to drive. He should have been driving something suitable to his experience and skill - i.e. something slower. I have major issues with inexperience drivers getting behind the wheel of 500 HP cars. I see a lot of it on this site, 16-20 year old kids driving 400 WHP Evos with all the arrogance that this kid probably had.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

yeah i saw this crash few days ago...inexperienced driver and 500hp can be fatal.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 08:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by eclipzed; Jan 30, 2008 at 08:57 AM. Reason: oops
Old Jan 30, 2008, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

you would think some people would be smarter.....
Old Jan 30, 2008, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
It's not street racing, but it's the same type of stupidity. Which is worse - Driving 140+ on a closed course vs driving 140+ on the street? If this kid hadn't piled up his father's car and died on the runway, what do you think he would have done when he got out on the road to go home?

Accidents do happen, but this wasn't an accident, it was gross error in judgment and lack of skill/experience. The same thing that goes into racing someone on a highway.
I agree it was a terrible tragedy and don't approve of street racing myself, but it raised a question in my mind. Are threads dedicated to snow drifting in public parking lots banned as well? I must have seen at least three or four in recent memory that were never locked. Sliding around in the snow seems just as dangerous, and even more illegal than racing on a private airstrip.

EDIT:
Doesn't look like the kids had permission to be there...

Last edited by rane; Jan 30, 2008 at 09:29 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 09:29 AM
El Jefe

Sliding in the snow isn't that dangerous, usually. It's done at low speeds, typically under 30 MPH, and as long as there aren't other cars nearby in the parking lot the only real risk is cosmetic damage to the owner's car. Not really sure about the legality - at worst I'd think it's trespassing.

If someone was going rally style on regular roads with lots of traffic, then yes, it'd be treated the same as street racing.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rane
I agree it was a terrible tragedy and don't approve of street racing myself, but it raised a question in my mind. Are threads dedicated to snow drifting in public parking lots banned as well? I must have seen at least three or four in recent memory that were never locked. Sliding around in the snow seems just as dangerous, and even more illegal than racing on a private airstrip (assuming permission was given of course).
Took the words right out of my mouth. And know what else I realized, 5 18-20 year old boys is A LOT of weight to add to an already dog of a car... I'm surprised 100+ didn't scare the crap out of him with how unstable the car probably felt.

And I'd like to also add to WSB:

I just hope you give "inexperienced" drivers a chance to prove that they aren't inexperienced. Though, I'm sure the mods of EvoM are plenty mature enough to do just that.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TougeGod7
should have been driving a bicycle!!!
I think he shouldn't have been driving at all.

But my condolence goes out to his family. I feel so bad for his dad right now. I know he has nothing to do with his kids death, but deep down he's probably thinking that if he didn't buy that M5, then he would still have his boy.

Best wishes to his family.

Quick Reply: Airborn M5 wreck