Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo/350z/RX8/IS300/WRX?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2003, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wasn't saying one was better than the other, I was just giving an opinion to what I thought the design philosophy was for each car. I picked an Evo over those other cars because performance was my #1 priority.
Old Aug 15, 2003, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ExoByte
Having power windows and door locks does not equal luxury items IMHO
Umm... They're needlessly heavy items for convenience so, yes, they very much ARE luxury.
Old Aug 15, 2003, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

What are luxury items in your opinion. I am not trying to corner you, but honestly curious. I can't think of many items that are luxury items (at least in my opinion) that teh Evo doesn't have.
Old Aug 15, 2003, 01:10 PM

Leather Seats, heated seats, power seats with memory, heated steering wheel, heated mirrors, headlight sprayers, navigation system, premium audio system, wood dash/doors, rear heating ducts, automatic dimming mirror, tire pressure monitoring system.

Not to say I am missing any of these things in my Evo, but this is what I consider "luxury" and not "comfort and convenience" features.
Old Aug 15, 2003, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

The only other cars I really considered were an A4 1.8T quattro (too soft) and a G35 coupe (couldn't find one set up the way I wanted).

The 350Z has a cool shape (kind of a neo-911), but the interior is SO BAD. Plus, that rear bar really kills any utility in the trunk.

Once I get back to Cali (some day), I will keep my Evo and plunk down the coin for an FX45 - the only SUV I would bother with.

For the money, I think the Evo is the best thing going, however get whatever makes you smile when you see it.
Old Aug 15, 2003, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

I originally went for the 350Z back in February, but the interior blew. Also the a-hole dealer wanted, are you ready for this?: $12,000 down, $860/month, and wanted to give me $20K for my year-and-a-half-old S2000. I laughed my *** off and walked out. Since then I will never go to another Nissan dealership (If the Skyline does make it America, I'll buy it through a broker). And to think I used to work for Nissan...
Old Aug 15, 2003, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

Leather Seats, heated seats, power seats with memory, heated steering wheel, heated mirrors, headlight sprayers, navigation system, premium audio system, wood dash/doors, rear heating ducts, automatic dimming mirror, tire pressure monitoring system.

Not to say I am missing any of these things in my Evo, but this is what I consider "luxury" and not "comfort and convenience" features.
You might have to bump the 350Z up in the luxury department. A friend of mine has one with heated leather seats and the premium audio system. Not sure if he has memory on his seats or if he has auto dimming mirrors. I know navigation is available for the car though. I know I remember he said he had to learn how to use all the features that came in the car though where he had little to nothing to learn in his WRX.
Old Aug 15, 2003, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Another point concerning the "image" aspects of the EVO, as more people are exposed tot he car, what it can do, it's utter uniqueness, the image will grow, much like the image of the original GTI did, although it was basically a very good handling box on wheels....

Percy
Old Aug 15, 2003, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Well, when I went to get my head shaved today, the whole barbershop cleared out to see it. I popped the hood so they could see all the RMR stuff.
Old Aug 15, 2003, 02:26 PM

I think you are most likely going to get bias opinions due to the fact that 90% of the guys on this forum are pro-Evo, including me. I didn't read all of the threads, but I did read some and all of the ones I read said they would choose the EVO.
Old Aug 15, 2003, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Not to nitpick but "luxury" items are the same thing as comfort and convenience.
Old Aug 15, 2003, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Chris in HB
Well, when I went to get my head shaved today, the whole barbershop cleared out to see it. I popped the hood so they could see all the RMR stuff.
I can't wait to see your car next Saturday. I bet that exhaust sounds even better in person!
Old Aug 15, 2003, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

Before I test drove the Evo VIII I really didn't care for it. I really wanted to get the STI. But after test driving it i fell in love with! It was way more affordable than the STI. Since I've had my Evo I bet a 350Z, S2000, and three WRX's.
Old Aug 15, 2003, 07:41 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

It's funny when people ask for other people's opinion on what to buy.
From the list I would pick the Evo but in real life i took the V6 6-speed Accord. The reason is it's my only car, daily driver and I decided I wanted a bit more luxury and convinience than performance. I would probably get a Nissan or Infinity if I liked their interior. To me it's too edgy and I couldn't live with it. Same happened to Evo - interior. I absolutely love the exterior though.
Things I also took into account/calculation when buying my car was insurance cost and maintanance cost (fuel cost, oil changes tires, brakes etc).
All depends on the person and what he/she is looking for.
I still plan on getting the Evo as a 2nd car one day
Old Aug 15, 2003, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by Chris in HB
I originally went for the 350Z back in February, but the interior blew. Also the a-hole dealer wanted, are you ready for this?: $12,000 down, $860/month, and wanted to give me $20K for my year-and-a-half-old S2000. I laughed my *** off and walked out. Since then I will never go to another Nissan dealership (If the Skyline does make it America, I'll buy it through a broker). And to think I used to work for Nissan...
My Nissan dealer is terrible. The worst customer service I've ever seen and inane prices. $40k for an Enthusiast.