Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

The 2012 Police Interceptor

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2010, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 2012 Police Interceptor

The crown vic days will be over soon, the new 3.5 twin turbo taurus taking over.

http://jalopnik.com/5491850/2012-for...yline=true&s=i
Old Mar 13, 2010, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

These are going to rape the taxpayers.

- Turbo vehicles have higher maintenance costs
- Their AWD system already has problems out the ***, from talking with friends and neighbors who own vehicles with that specific transmission and transfer case
- Unibody construction... fail, hit railroad tracks at 70mph and unibody bends
- Premium fuel
- New/unproven platform

After the failure of the Dodge Charger police car (transmission failures, unibody bending, horrible ride quality, high part failure rates and maintenance upkeep, etc), most are switching to either full framed SUV's or back to the old Crown Vic. (at least in my area and my local department)
Old Mar 13, 2010, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Saw the road testing version of this at the dealership... it was cool but EXTREMELY impractical for almost ALL police forces. Not very many of them can afford to replace all there vehicles... especially with a $32k racer...
Old Mar 13, 2010, 02:05 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Moved to Other Cars.

I'm betting that the majority of the new Interceptors sold will be just the regular cheap non-turbo 6 cylinder with FWD that runs on regular fuel. I really doubt many AWD models will be sold, except maybe in really really snowy areas, and even fewer twin-turbo versions.

I've been hearing quite a bit of complaining about the unibody construction. Precincts won't have a choice anymore, since the Crown Vic is done, unless they want to go with a full SUV force. Ford takes their law enforcement development pretty seriously, and they've seen the mistakes that Chrysler made, so hopefully these are things they've thought out and tested. Also, don't forget this isn't Ford's first unibody police cruiser. There's a patrol version of the Mondeo in Europe, as well.

Ultimately, unibody construction is safer for the officers, as well.

Last edited by otter; Mar 13, 2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 02:15 PM
EvoM Administrator

Pure speculation on my part, but the base model Taurus has a MSRP of $25k, less than a $1k increase over the base Crown Vic. The 2010 Ford Police Interceptor (Crown Vic) seems to have a price range of $25,000-$29,000 depending on how it's equipped. With the exception of the SHO version, I don't see why the Taurus would be any harder to pay for than current vehicles.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

we are using hybrid nissan ultimas here in new york. they outperform the crown vic. but they are like plastic and i don't think the service life is as long due to unibody construction.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

Good god, boost leak and poping off IC pipes will end this madness quick.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
The SHO will most likely only be for highway interceptors. The majority will be the NA V6, with FWD.

I'm not sure why all the bashing on unibody.... Evos and pretty much every rally car made are unibody.

I can see the cost of the vehicles being on par on cost, if not cheaper than the Crown Vic. Economies of scale; it's sharing the same platform as a current production vehicle that should be a high volume seller.

How many people buy Crown Vics? Pretty much just the police forces which makes them expensive as the volumes are relatively low.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

Listen robocop used tarus police cars so obviously it's a good idea.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 06:11 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by spdracerut
The SHO will most likely only be for highway interceptors. The majority will be the NA V6, with FWD.

I'm not sure why all the bashing on unibody.... Evos and pretty much every rally car made are unibody.

I can see the cost of the vehicles being on par on cost, if not cheaper than the Crown Vic. Economies of scale; it's sharing the same platform as a current production vehicle that should be a high volume seller.

How many people buy Crown Vics? Pretty much just the police forces which makes them expensive as the volumes are relatively low.
Drive down to Florida. You can't walk through any parking lot without tripping over 300 Grand Marquis/Town Cars. Even if said parking lot only holds 15 cars, there's still 300 there.

And they're all that same ugly teal color.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wiretap
These are going to rape the taxpayers.

- Turbo vehicles have higher maintenance costs
- Their AWD system already has problems out the ***, from talking with friends and neighbors who own vehicles with that specific transmission and transfer case
- Unibody construction... fail, hit railroad tracks at 70mph and unibody bends
- Premium fuel
- New/unproven platform

After the failure of the Dodge Charger police car (transmission failures, unibody bending, horrible ride quality, high part failure rates and maintenance upkeep, etc), most are switching to either full framed SUV's or back to the old Crown Vic. (at least in my area and my local department)
lol, did you even read the article?
Old Mar 15, 2010, 03:38 AM
Evolved Member

lol, yes, lol. lol.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 06:44 AM
EvoM Administrator

Another option would be for MI to actually maintain the ****ing roads so that railroad tracks don't ruin cars.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

I dodged a ~10'' deep by ~2ft diameter pothole today on Michigan Avenue in Dearborn on my way to school. =D
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by otter
Another option would be for MI to actually maintain the ****ing roads so that railroad tracks don't ruin cars.
Colorado Springs is the same way. The potholes here are big and DEEP. Have to dodge so many on my 11mi trip through the city to Ft Carson.

Quick Reply: The 2012 Police Interceptor