Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Rental Review: 2010 Ford Focus 4d SE

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2010, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Rental Review: 2010 Ford Focus 4d SE

I think I now know what it would be like to go from my Evo 8 to the Evo X. Same analogy, just replace Evo 8 with Focus SVT. Heavier, slower, sluggish, more bells/whistles.

The car is not bad, it is the SE base model. It has its bright moments, just more dull moments in between the shiny bits. And less German feel; that was a good thing. More on that below.

Exterior:
Somehow this is related to my beloved First Gen Focus. The styling is different. Its not as trend setting as the first generation was. More restrained and run of the mill. Its a sedan - what more can I say? No more hot hatch. Much missed.

Car feels bigger than my 02 Focus. I am guessing a few inches all around. Almost on par with sitting in my old Evo. Lots of head room. One major complaint - the b-pillar is right in the way of your left/right vision. I do have the seat properly adjusted for a correct seating posture.

Interior:
I miss the simple German to-the-point approach. Every button is in reach, however, the color and style used drives me nuts. Actually, hard to see MPH at a quick glance. Lots more beeps and bells, reminding you to do everything - put seatbelt on, MyKey activated, don't pick up hookers. Well, OK, maybe the last one isn't really there. But with all the beeps and bells, I wouldn't mind seeing it for giggles.

Engine/Drivetrain:
2.0 all aluminum I-4 Duratec 20. Makes 140 hp @ 6000 and 136 tq @ 4250. Much like the Foci before this one, the motor likes to be revved. Redline is 6500. Foci of old had a little more leg room. Throttle is touchy. Any foot movement means a 5+/- change in MPH. Hard to keep it at 65 on the freeway.

This is a rental; a manual would not last too long in the hands of the general people. Gears are long winded. 1st and 2nd are more than capable to take you to freeway speeds. Has two gear selections D and L, there is a O/D finger toggle. But I have found it pretty useless. I often want 1st or 2nd for turns. But have not tried forcing the car into L...its not mine after all. Maybe that means I should.

Suspension/Steering/Brakes:
Holy monster truck Batman. Its soft, really soft. I go over speed bumps at 25 mph without any hint of road variation. Thats good of you find ourself mowing down a lot of small children, but its numb for all other driving. Lane changes are accompanied by massive heaving and sway from side-to-side.

Steering is just as numb. I am used to precision, again German, steering. This is not it. I am worried that a police officer will think I am under the influence since this car wanders all over the road for me. I suspect some suspension damage or alignment issues. Wheel is just a little off - maybe the last renter took it off-roading.

Brakes are surprising good. Once you get past the weight transfer forward. They bite well and have feel. Just about the only thing that does. From inspecting the brakes, I am pretty sure they are the same from the first generation.

Overall/Odds-Ends:
The key fob is exactly the same as my 2002 Focus SVT. Ford, its been 8 years, update the damn thing. Radio is OK, seats are OK, interior is plastic. But that is to be expected. No leather wrapped wheel here.

Out of 10 stars, I give the 2010 Focus 4d SE a 6. Its OK, but not awesome. Less German, more American. Holding out for the new 2011 Focus. I have heard good things about it.

Oh, one more thing - Ford RS, here - now!

Last edited by Smike; Mar 15, 2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 06:02 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anything is soft compared to your solid suspension.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 06:58 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
I suspect some suspension damage or alignment issues.
Sounds like some jackass was trying to jump speedbumps at 25 mph with it.

Oh, and Ford has stated that they are bringing the RS to the US, so it's official now. However, they have no plans to release it until the 3rd gen Focus has been out for at least two years. 2013 at the earliest.

Last edited by otter; Mar 16, 2010 at 07:29 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 02:23 AM
Evolved Member

Was an issue before.

I hate living under a rock.

I liked the last gen RS. I hope they don't change it much.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 06:08 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i am not a fan of the gauges, otherwise i really like the new models. You should have upgraded to a new taurus.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 07:29 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Was an issue before.

I hate living under a rock.

I liked the last gen RS. I hope they don't change it much.
As far as power goes, it'll likely be getting the ecoboost version of the 2.0L direct injection engine. Probably looking at power to be around 230-240 hp.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
I had one as a rental recently too. Full leather interior, sunroof, SYNC thing. It's actually quite a nice, high content, compact in the same vein as European compacts.

I agree with the overall assessment. The throttle is a bit touchy. 1st gear (automatic) is well suited to pulling out into traffic and getting up to 30mph quickly. After first gear though, it's a bit of a turd. It'd definitely geared for highway mileage as it's rated at 36-36hwy. It spins 2700rpms at 75 mph. My AP2 S2000 spins 4k at the same rpms. My Evo spun ~3200rpms at 80mph IIRC.

The one thing I didn't like about it is the high seating position. But hey, it's not a performance car, it's for the 'common' people that prefer the high seating position.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

At WW, Ill see if Nick knows more on it.

Ya, the upper end models look a lot better on the inside. I surfed through some interior pictures last night.

They didn't have a Taurus in the lot. It was this or a G5 or Cobalt. Next trip Ill explore other cars.